Enscape and Chaos - Merge Announcement!

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
    • Official Post

We have some exciting news to share with you today!

Enscape and Chaos, two of the most well-known names in visualization, have merged to create one company dedicated to developing the world's greatest end-to-end ecosystem for 3D visualization and collaboration.

Together we will develop and strengthen our product portfolios to create a comprehensive end-to-end visualization ecosystem to meet the evolving needs of architects, designers, and artists from diverse industries to visualize their ideas in the best way possible — from concept to completion.

Learn more about this merger here.

We'll have more to share with you soon, so stay tuned!

• Official Post

SO Chaos Acquired Enscape !

They didn't acquire us, it is a merge - Which also means that our product also stays entirely as it is and there won't be any larger changes made to our software itself in the foreseeable future Chaos related. We'll of course keep you updated along the way so stay tuned.

• wow, big news! I'm eager to hear what this will mean in the medium/long term. Will the products merge? will technology be shared between products (looking at you, Vantage ;) ) , or will development continue in two parallel tracks?

I'm really hoping that Enscape can hold on to the stuff that has made it so great an popular in a very short time... mainly the ease of use, uncluttered interface and outstanding realtime performance. In a perfect world this will be strengthened with some of Vrays pro features and amazing photorealistic quality for still images and video exports ;)
    I'm looking forward to what comes next.... at least for now ;)

• Official Post

wow, big news! I'm eager to hear what this will mean in the medium/long term. Will the products merge? will technology be shared between products (looking at you, Vantage ;) ) , or will development continue in two parallel tracks?

I'm really hoping that Enscape can hold on to the stuff that has made it so great an popular in a very short time... mainly the ease of use, uncluttered interface and outstanding realtime performance. In a perfect world this will be strengthened with some of Vrays pro features and amazing photorealistic quality for still images and video exports ;)
    I'm looking forward to what comes next.... at least for now ;)

Enscape will live as a product brand going forward, along with V-Ray, Corona, and Phoenix. We will work together with Chaos to look into new innovations to be added which ultimately affect the user in a positive way. But, for now, nothing will change software-wise, our core stays and Enscape will be further developed in parallel to products provided by Chaos. :)

As always, please stay tuned for further info coming up in the near future.

• Ótimas notícias, e estou feliz em ver essas 2 empresas trabalhando juntas, espero ver um programa como o Enscape, com sua facilidade, interface limpa e renderização em tempo real com a qualidade do V-Ray, isso seria perfeito, boa sorte para você e parabéns pela parceria

Translation:

Great news, and I'm happy to see these 2 companies working together, I hope to see a program like Enscape with its ease, clean interface and V-Ray quality real-time rendering, that would be perfect, good luck to you and congratulations on the partnership

• Congratulations on getting taken over by Chaos, I guess.

The newly-combined company will operate under the Chaos brand name

Also "merge" is an interesting way to describe the relationship between the private equity owners of the respective companies. TA Associates Management ($42b company owns Chaos) and LEA Partners ($200m company owns Enscape.)

• This is exciting however, when will users learn more detailed information?
    Anytime a merger occurs not a whole lot happens for a while. I would imagine the roadmap for Enscape will remain the same for this year. I also imagine that Enscape's internal resources will expand greatly with access to Chaos Group (VRay) and Render Legion (Corona). Both are true leaders in the Archviz space. This means (speculating here) A version of Enscape for more advanced DDTs (3Ds Max, Blender etc) is or may be possible. Also, vase improvements to raytracing and fingers crossed fully HDRI support.

Interested to hear the true vision of the merge - Please don't leave us in the dark for too long.

• jtubb Or the opposite happens, I.E. the roadmap stays the same for the year and then the higher ups think they can milk the subscription of a combined program more than the two separate ones. So Enscape (the smaller company) dissolves with a few of the its more popular features getting tacked onto v-ray and price of v-ray goes up.

• jtubb Or the opposite happens, I.E. the roadmap stays the same for the year and then the higher ups think they can milk the subscription of a combined program more than the two separate ones. So Enscape (the smaller company) dissolves with a few of the its more popular features getting tacked onto v-ray and price of v-ray goes up.

It's normal for feelings of uncertainty with an announcement like this but it's very unlikely they will dissolve Enscape. There are many positives for both companies to benefit from as they are completely different. They are both visualization tools however one specializes in raytracing and the other in real-time . Their weaknesses are the opposites of each other. Chaos certainly has more capital but they will gain nothing by dissolving Enscape.

A few examples of past industry mergers/acquisitions:

2008, Twinmotion was acquired by Epic Games and now is cross-compatible with Unreal Engine.

2017, Legion and Chaos Merged now providing asset compatibility

2019, Allegorithmicmerged was acquired by Adobe the branding of the software changed and pricing decreased.

• Take a look at how Chaos treated the Blender and Modo integrations of V-Ray. Yes, there is a bright shiny future for Enscape based real-time rendering, but it will cost a pretty penny, and good luck seeing it on other design software platforms.

What do you mean by "treated"?
    The integration of an API is different than this situation.

Each one of the examples I listed above had no negative impacts on integration. Sure the cost of Enscpae will increase but that is expected especially if they make improvements to the software. Currently, the cost between the two software options is pretty marginal (VRay more expensive of course.)

• Here's my prognostication (which anticipates good things for technology, bad news for cost.) Enscape real-time engine will be subsumed into the respective V-Ray plugins, so there will only be the V-Ray plugin for SU with Enscape as the RT engine if you want more advanced features (which I do.) There may still be a separate "lite" Enscape plugin, but with many of the limitations we see today.

• What do you mean by "treated"?
    The integration of an API is different than this situation.

Each one of the examples I listed above had no negative impacts on integration. Sure the cost of Enscpae will increase but that is expected especially if they make improvements to the software. Currently, the cost between the two software options is pretty marginal (VRay more expensive of course.)

By "treated" I mean they're dead. Modo plugin is EOL, and Blender is not updated for more than 2 years. How well do you think ArchiCAD and Vectorworks are going to fare with V-Ray not having any integration with those platforms?

• In my opinion, this can be a win, win for Enscape. To me this show how much Enscape software has grown in market usage. I am Viz person and mostly use 3D Max and V-Ray Corona but I also use Enscape when possible and there is not dough, that their implementation is more efficient that V-Ray inside Rhino-Revit and other straight CAD software, Enscape works exactly how a n Architect/Designer need it to. I always thought that V-Ray was too overwhelming for them.

Again I consider my self very well versed in V-Ray-Corona and any other similar ray-tracer. But I understand that not everybody is a nerd regarding render engines.

To me Chaos group lose the battle withing Rhino-Revit and similar CAD area, and that's why as a company, they will rather have someone who know exactly what to do with those software.

V-Ray main focus right now is VFX and real-time, I am not sure how much future 'traditional' raytracing has on next gen real-time. Epic already showed how much can be done with a mix method such Lumen. So to me it make seance for this conglomerated to have specific software for each segment of their use base. V-Ray for VFX and real-time, Corona for the high mid end visualization, (3D Max) and Enscape for CAD app such, Rhino, Revit, Sketchup an others

Now having everybody under the same umbrella it does stop competition which give us better products. so we need to wait and see how thing goes.

Congratulations to Enscape team, you really nail it.

• By "treated" I mean they're dead. Modo plugin is EOL, and Blender is not updated for more than 2 years. How well do you think ArchiCAD and Vectorworks are going to fare with V-Ray not having any integration with those platforms?

I used MODO for a while and honestly I didn't think V-Ray for MODO will last. MODO render engine is very capable and the market share compared to 3D Max or Cinema4D is very small. Also Foundry own NUKE so for their pipeline the final render will be done in NUKE not in MODO. in VFX workflow V-Ray is very strong in NUKE. I gues they did the numbers and saw that V-Ray for MODO wasn't worth the effort.

Something similar could be applied to Blender. Their real-time render and view port are way faster than V-Ray's.

Also Blender being free, there is not real incentive for Chaos group to put the effort in there.

For the main user base of ArchiCAD and Vector works, Enscape is more than capable to give them everything they need.

Honestly if you compare the speed and quality that Enscape gives you in Sketchup, compared to the new realtime option from V-Ray ( I can't remember the name) Enscape is light years a head.