External Graphics Card

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi,

I have an older graphics card on my work pc (I don't own it, I am a consultant) - Nvidia Quadro P200. I have a hard time with Enscape on this as you can imagine. Exporting a screen shot shuts down Revit. At home I have a Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Super and on my laptop I have a Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000. I own both my home pc and my laptop. As I am exploring more VR I would like to update my home graphics card, I think, and definitely my laptop and I purchased that to do "show and tell" last year and Enscape seems to be a bit choppy on both of those (using VR). Someone offered a suggestion to use an external graphics card. I am not sure if it would work well? Then I could use at home and work. At work, I need to get the Revit drawing over to my laptop to be able to do the rendered screenshots which is a horrible work flow. Any thoughts or experience? Of course graphics cards are $$$$$ now too...Thanks! Sue

• Official Post

sueboronski , can you give me a bit more info about the laptop to which you want to attach an external graphics card? Or, the model name/number, anything I can use to find out more about the CPU, RAM, and so forth. Because connecting, say an RTX 3080 to a laptop that would bottleneck (slow down) a more advanced card may make the investment not worth it.

In addition to that, please keep in mind that you lose about a quarter of performance when connecting any external GPU in general - So, it could be worth it with a card of the newer 3xxx lineup, but I'd need the rest of the specs to tell you if it really is.

Thank you in advance!

• Official Post

Hi, It's a Lenovo ThinkPad P73, Intel Core i7-9750H CPU @2.60GHz, Ram: 32 gigabytes

Thank you for getting back to me!

That's good - I don't see a reason why you would not heavily benefit from an external GPU in this case.

Just to restate again though: Especially for VR I would recommend going for one of the 3xxx GPU's ideally at least a 3070 since you lose performance solely due to the fact that it's connected externally as said.

The only problem of course still is getting one for a half-decent price. Most often pre-built machines or laptops include them for a normal or a lot better price. If you plan to only buy a graphics card itself though I wish you the best of luck and I truly hope that this whole situation improves soon.

• Official Post

Just so you know sueboronski , if you really are not able to find a decent GPU on its own, perhaps even consider selling your current laptop and getting a new one with a built-in 3xxx series. It's totally insane, but these days this may be the cheaper solution.