PBR material performance (normal/displacement channel)

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • I've recently been building a PBR material library for a client using textures from Poliigon (4k, most channels accounted for).

I was surprised to find that when it came to rendering time, Enscape did not appear to apply the displacement/normal channel (which Revit calls bump, but can accept height/normal as input maps). Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed some key setting that enables this? I've read in a few threads where people had this issue and didn't get a reply in each case so hoping some clarification can be provided here if possible.

I'm aware that Enscape materials can be built using normal/displacement and subbed in over standard materials (not PBR). If this is the endorsed approach no problems, just want to know the official method for setting up compatible materials with displacement and/or normal map channels for Revit.

• Rather than go through the Revit Bump parameter use the Enscape material editor and use the Height Map > Displacement Map option.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm aware that Enscape materials can be built using normal/displacement and subbed in over standard materials (not PBR). If this is the endorsed approach no problems, just want to know the official method for setting up compatible materials with displacement and/or normal map channels for Revit.

As far as I know that's the only way to get a Displacement map. A normal map should still work using the Revit PBR schema though.

That said, I've tried to use Poliigon displacement maps before (I love their stuff) but was getting bad results. I reported it as a bug and after investigation the Enscape engineers let me know the normal map was not 'good'. It was discussed somewhere on this forum so if you're interested you might be able to find that thread.

• Thanks for the input Pieter and Phil, I ended up going with non-PBR for textures using displacement/normal in the end, and used the Enscape material editor to switch the bump to displacement channel. Good results, just a bit of tuning for my client to understand/manage.

You're not wrong that Poliigon has mixed results too, sometimes great, other times questionable.