HOW TO SAVE TIME OF DAY FOR A VIEW?

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • I did sun settings for each view in Revit - input the location, date and time, obviously Enscape doesn't read that, so I had to adjust Time of Day to make the light looks right. What bothered me most is I couldn't save it, even though I thought "Create Preset" could help, it turned out I was wrong. Every time when I opened the views, the building were all in shadow and I had to re-adjust "Time of Day". Is there a way to save this? Thank you! :)

• Rick Marx

Approved the thread.
  • Enscape reads the time of day from Revit views. You have a couple of options:

- Set the time of day in Enscape and save the view to Revit.

- Set the time of day in Revit.

When selecting the Revit view from Enscape's view management list the camera will move to the location in the Revit View and the time of day will change to match the Revit view.

Step by step here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse…-revit-enscape-phil-read/

• I did sun settings for each view in Revit - input the location, date and time, obviously Enscape doesn't read that, so I had to adjust Time of Day to make the light looks right. What bothered me most is I couldn't save it, even though I thought "Create Preset" could help, it turned out I was wrong. Every time when I opened the views, the building were all in shadow and I had to re-adjust "Time of Day". Is there a way to save this? Thank you! :)

Phil's suggested steps sound like the way we are supposed to do it. I feel your pain however lynn. Been there repeating that setup many times. Either didn't save views or there was something wrong with views at the moment. So I might have one other option for you.

It's useful if you really just want to save one or two views to get back to later. Open the video editor, save the camera views you want as keyframes. Again, I usually just save two keyframes for start/end and give them the same settings, Then edit (and save each) each keyframe for time of day, sun settings and all. Then export your path which includes keyframes info, giving it a descriptive name like "8pm late shadows" or whatever it is. Maybe you end up exporting 3 video paths for three views. I also find them useful if going to start a new video to start at a view/time settings I know just by importing the right path.

Next time you open the model don't bother with anything else. Open the video editor, load that path and all comes back. You can step out of the video editor at any time and do normal things.

• Phil's suggested steps sound like the way we are supposed to do it. I feel your pain however lynn. Been there repeating that setup many times. Either didn't save views or there was something wrong with views at the moment. So I might have one other option for you.

It's useful if you really just want to save one or two views to get back to later. Open the video editor, save the camera views you want as keyframes. Again, I usually just save two keyframes for start/end and give them the same settings, Then edit (and save each) each keyframe for time of day, sun settings and all. Then export your path which includes keyframes info, giving it a descriptive name like "8pm late shadows" or whatever it is. Maybe you end up exporting 3 video paths for three views. I also find them useful if going to start a new video to start at a view/time settings I know just by importing the right path.

Next time you open the model don't bother with anything else. Open the video editor, load that path and all comes back. You can step out of the video editor at any time and do normal things.

Thank you for your detailed advice. I will bookmark this thread and try your method later, since this is the first time I use Enscape, this sounds a bit advanced to me. :)

• Thank you for your detailed advice. I will bookmark this thread and try your method later, since this is the first time I use Enscape, this sounds a bit advanced to me. :)

I might just be a little long winded about it. Phil's way is the right way to learn now. I was just offering an option.

But for instance I don't always find the interface doing what I think it should. Such as saving presets.

Presets confusion for me: Use the arrow to pop open presets area where you can save presets of settings. But, mine never hold, or rather it just saves where ever you last leave the settings while presently using it. So I can't setup day settings and call it day, and then setup night settings and call it night. Because both saved preset's settings will end up looking like night, or whatever I last setup. Seems useless to me or at least highly unintuitive to the point I don't want to bother. So I don't fight it. Instead I save time of day basics in Video path keyframes and use that to roughly get me started quickly when I come back to a model later and just tweak other settings as needed. Or, use Revit / Enscape Views as Phil was suggesting. But I swear with that route I still have times where I open a view and the time of day is wacked out.

The video editor icon is at top. It opens the video editor.

Then create a couple middle frames with different timestamps and adjust time of day for each. Here I choose day settings for one middle frame and night settings for other frame. Remember to hit "update" after every little change to a keyframe. Then Export the path as an XML file that you can reload into the video editor any time you need it back. Which will give you a saved camera view with basic Day of Time saved at each keyframe. Jump to the frame you want. Then hit the tiny icon button as seen in image or top X of video editor to leave the video editor as seen in next picture.

Just an option that takes 5 minutes the first time working on a model to save basic time of day you want. Once that path is saved you always have it to load if your time of day gets screwed up. You can always create new real video paths if making those. You could save all camera locations and each with time of day saved for each view in more keyframes.

• Yes, I am using what are described here.

I set time, date, month, year in Revit, then after I render the view, I adjust the time of day in Enscape to get the sun light the way I want, then save the view - No, actually it is "Create View" I didn't see "Save View" ( Did I miss something? Forgive me pls if I did, the first time user). Then I have to give it another name since the system doesn't allow me to overwrite the original one. then I have to delete the original one and rename the newly created view.

Another issue with the newly created one is I have to remember to go back to Revit to reset the view template or "visibility/graphics overrides". Otherwise, entourage will be invisible (entourage workset is not set visible in all views). The trees are still missing sometimes after I did those permanent changes when I render the view after reopen the model - not sure if this is a compatibility issue? Since the trees are from Enscape Asset Library. I also notice one interesting thing, some Enscape asset objects, such as people, cars are visible in plan but not in 3D view, they are still visible in Rendering.

As I said I might have missed something, please let me know, Thank you very much!