Wish: outline output without any shading

• Hi,

it could be great to get a flag option to disable all shading effects, also emitters. Also glass could be white only. (If transparent needed all glass objects could be hided by the user.)

This kind of flat outlines is needed for my clients from time to time - as most abstract scene image or for mixing with the full render in postwork.

-Micha

• Hey Micha , so you'd like a similar output to what you'd see in the SketchUp viewport for example? Here we don't have any reflections, ermitters and you can also see outlines:

The windows would be white, as you requested.

Thank you in advance. :)

• No, not in the quality like a render engine do it. Render engine are using other methods to find edges. In the past I use Vray to render sketches like this often.

Also don't forget the other kind of output - panorama, stereo, animation. For example it could be a cool intro, if an animation starts in sketch mode and blend over to a realistic view.

Edit: Also I hope in the future we will get more line options like line width dependent from the camera distance.

• Hey Micha , allow me to propose a workaround to more or less achieve what you're looking for:

- General tab: Set the "Rendering Quality" to Draft,

Activate "White Mode" and set your "Outlines"

- Atmosphere tab: Set the "Sun" brightness to 0%,

Click "Load Skybox From File" and import a completely white skybox

This is the output you're going to get:

Please be aware, chances are rather slim that a dedicated non-shaded white mode will be implemented anytime soon. Especially since you're already able to achieve a very similar result, besides transparent/emissive materials still being rendered, so they'll have to be replaced/altered in this case.

Let me know what you think. :)

• Nice approach. Thank you. :)

At my interior there are a lot of emitters and glass in block instance, so also I can't temporary overwrite this materials. So, if we can't kill the shading per single click, couldn't an option be added like "all materials" against emitters and glass effects?

• Nice approach. Thank you. :)

At my interior there are a lot of emitters and glass in block instance, so also I can't temporary overwrite this materials. So, if we can't kill the shading per single click, couldn't an option be added like "all materials" against emitters and glass effects?

Thank your feedback Micha , I'll add your wish to our agenda. :)

• I wish we had an include/exclude list for materials to override so we can add/remove materials like glass, emitters to the override. The hardcoded solution right now is not very versatile.

• I wish we had an include/exclude list for materials to override so we can add/remove materials like glass, emitters to the override. The hardcoded solution right now is not very versatile.

This is actually a topic which is already on our agenda. Your voice added a further upvote to it, so thank you for the feedback. :)

• Hello @Demian Gutberlet realize I am picking up a dormant thread, but I actually am really curious if you can recommend a way to obtain output that does look like a the sketchup viewport shown in post #2? We are transitioning from sketchup to revit and the principal at my firm would like have a less literal/resolved way of presenting ideas to clients as part of our schematic process. Thank you for your help!

• Hello jnadel, since our favorite customer support ninja is helping out in the BIM World Munich, let me make a suggestion:

Outlines: 100%

Render Quality: draft

White Background: on

Sun: 0%

You may need to adjust the exposure to compensate for the lack of sunlight.

The water and glass is still water and glass, but it still looks quite stylized.