Revit Crashes when using Enscape Material Editor

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Have had several users report to me that when they use the Enscape Material Editor Revit will create a fatal error and close the program. All other commands in Enscape work as expected.

Revit 2020 and 2021 projects, Enscape 3.2.0+65063.

Anyone else running into this issue? Thanks

• Official Post

Caddman13 , any user who experiences this issue may kindly send us a Feedback Report, especially if they run into a fatal error, the log files should give us more info as to why this occurs. Thank you in advance.

• Caddman13 , any user who experiences this issue may kindly send us a Feedback Report, especially if they run into a fatal error, the log files should give us more info as to why this occurs. Thank you in advance.

I have asked that the users do this. I have one who is trying now and it too crashes with an error. They sent a separate email to support. Could you share the location of the log files? I can send those to you. Thanks

• Official Post

In order to then get behind this issue, please indeed manually send us the necessary log files, you'll find them here:

Enscape main plugin log files:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Enscape\Data\Logs

Revit plugin log files:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\Enscape\Logs\EnscapeRevitPlugin

You can just place all the files that are contained in these folders into a .zip file and send these to Support as well please - Alongside, you can just add from which machine they are coming from or to which report (by sharing the e-mail) they belong to.

Thank you again in advance, I appreciate the cooperation and efforts.

• Demian, same here. The v3.2 material editor crash on Revit 2021 has caused me headache to a point that I went back to the old reliable 2.9. So far so good, no crash, no forced geometry reload. Video editor working as it should be.

I think Enscape needs to do a better job in software QA before release. I have never needed to write bug report etc. for Chaos group's Vray software. You can really feel that their product has been through QA and test process before release.

At least, Enscape should automate the bug reporting process - how about automatically grabbing the log and sending to your developers? I'm project architect that needs to deal with so many tasks and Email already...honestly finding it difficult to fill out another form.

• Official Post

joeykeys , I'm sorry to hear about that as well - Usually, it is a matter of simply requesting a Feedback Report which then allows us to also forward all the logs directly to our Developers. That is basically just two clicks of work without needing to fill much info in. In this case above for example though, sending in a Feedback Report wasn't possible either so we had to request logs manually, which does not happen all too often thankfully.

In your case, please also simply send us a report and we can have a look at this problem. Even if you're using 2.9 for now, we'll still get the corresponding log files from 3.2 and such.

We're also implementing and looking into automated systems that allow us to go through the machine info at least to directly offer a solution ideally once a crash/error report has been sent in. Some issues are of complex nature though and we may still then need to further go through said report with our developers.

• Hi all, this has given me a headache as well. I have talked to Autodesk and the issue lies with Enscape. It is always the same, as soon as I click on the duplicate asset button in Revit's material editor and click on apply everything crashes without notice. Only here it happens.

The problem is on both my computers (have a laptop and a stationary). The laptop starts throttling like crazy, even though I haven't started Enscape in the background and it is a simple project. It has nothing to do with the specs of my computer, my stationary has a 24gb Quadro A5000 card.

I always have your recommended nvidia drivers installed with all your different versions. It happens to all Revit versions: 2020-2030 (with all hotfixes installed). The problem remains during the whole year. I always have the latest Enscape version installed, even got recommended to try 3.4 preview version, the problem remains.

When I uninstall your plugin I have no problem and Revit works fine.

I will send you a report as well through the recommeded button. Otherwise I love your product and use it very often, it has been part of our daily work at the architectural firm.

Kind regards,

Bastiaan Vinkestijn

• Demian Gutberlet , we are having similar issues on multiple installations on multiple projects. Difference is that Revit crashes without error. I will try to force it to happen again (it is inconsistent) and send updated log files to support.

We have the latest Revit 2022.1.3 version and the latest Enscape 3.3.1 version.

• Official Post

Demian Gutberlet , we are having similar issues on multiple installations on multiple projects. Difference is that Revit crashes without error. I will try to force it to happen again (it is inconsistent) and send updated log files to support.

We have the latest Revit 2022.1.3 version and the latest Enscape 3.3.1 version.

Thanks a lot. The feedback report and submitted log files should assist us further in finding out the exact cause behind this issue, so it's much appreciated. You'll hear back from us again through the created report via e-mail.

• Any update on this, we are having this issue on multiple computers and telling the team they just have to remove enscape is not an answer they want to hear. Has anyone narrowed it down to a type of material that is the cause or is it just enscape and revit trying to access the material browser data at the same time that causes revit to disappear?

• Official Post

Any update on this, we are having this issue on multiple computers and telling the team they just have to remove enscape is not an answer they want to hear. Has anyone narrowed it down to a type of material that is the cause or is it just enscape and revit trying to access the material browser data at the same time that causes revit to disappear?

We are still currently working under pressure to find out the cause behind this problem. I'll get back again to you via this thread specifically to inform you once this has been resolved.

• I have some other symptoms which may or may not help you identify the problem. I have moved the enscape addin from the program data file and the crash goes away however the material browser in revit is now extremely slow to just go from material to material. It was not like this before I launched the enscape material browser. is there some "worker" or other interaction enscape does when installed regardless of wether or not the add in is in the addin folder? Note I have removed pyrevit too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking we will have to go back to the enscape version prior to the enscape material editor. But I'm hopeful we can figure out where the conflict is. I have other users testing the same process and getting the same results. we are sending in the feedback. Thank you for working on this!!!

• UPDATE 2: It appears the crash occurs only with duplicating assets of materials that enscapes material editior can see. If I duplicate the asset of a PBR material all is fine, it only crashes(revit vanishes) if I duplicate the asset of a generic material or other enscape viewable one.

• Official Post

Any news on this? We have this problem now and then on diffrent projects.

Since this can occur due to multiple reasons, and you are already using one of our latest releases, please also submit a feedback report with log files as we detail here, and we (our technical support team included) can analyze the cause behind your crashing as quickly as possible. Thank you in advance.

• Official Post

I'm still having this issue and can't use material editor therefore am losing out on a lot of money!

I can of course understand the frustration this will have cost and we are working on resolving this for our full release of 3.5 coming in about four weeks.

In the meantime, there are 2 possible workarounds you may want to consider:

- You can roll back to our release 3.3, which you can download here.

- You can change your system language to something other than Turkish. (If English for example is another language you speak well, you could try that.)

If any further inquiries come up regarding this or any other subject let me know, and thank you for a bit more patience.