Globeplants - Killing my machine!

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I love the models from Globeplants but I think they might be too high quality for poor little Enscape. I swear that every time I use them, it crashes my Enscape left and right, Anyone else have this issue with them?

• Official Post

VStudio , what GPU do you have built into your system? :)

And yeah, anything rather high-poly which isn't optimized for real-time applications will usually be very detrimental to performance. They look quite amazing, the plants they offer, but they are also highly detailed - Perhaps you may even have the chance to convert it to a lower quality model that still looks similar but performs better. That may be the alternative, even if it's of course probably tricky/annoying to do.

Feel free to also send in a Report and I can tell you exactly why you're running into crashes - I do suspect it boils down to an out-of-memory VRAM issue, plain and simple.

• VStudio , what GPU do you have built into your system? :)

RTX 3080 Ti

We specifically upgraded to this GPU hoping for better performance and quality using RTX but honestly, most of the time I end up disabling Hardware-accelerated Ray Tracing, NVIDIA Denoiser and NVIDIA DLSS because of crashes. When I say crashes, I mean like hard, SketchUp just closes crashes.

• Official Post

RTX 3080 Ti

We specifically upgraded to this GPU hoping for better performance and quality using RTX but honestly, most of the time I end up disabling Hardware-accelerated Ray Tracing, NVIDIA Denoiser and NVIDIA DLSS because of crashes. When I say crashes, I mean like hard, SketchUp just closes crashes.

Unfortunately, even with that much VRAM, anyone could run into such issues using unoptimized models - Our 3D Artists always go to great lengths to ensure that our Assets specifically are as low poly as possible while still maintaining a proper appearance and without looking "off".

Still, feel free to of course send in a report as mentioned so we can check whether or not this is caused by said models or if it's due to another issue (which it shouldn't be but anyway) - At least DLSS should help with VRAM usage though, but even that may not be enough if the plants are just too much to handle.

Have you created your own Assets through the Globeplants models, or have you been using them as Linked Models (proxies) as well? You may try the latter method as well if you haven't already, but again, it may still be overloading your machine after all.

• RTX 3080 Ti

Are you using the Proxy versions inside of SketchUp?

• Are you using the Proxy versions inside of SketchUp?

Unfortunately, even with that much VRAM, anyone could run into such issues using unoptimized models - Our 3D Artists always go to great lengths to ensure that our Assets specifically are as low poly as possible while still maintaining a proper appearance and without looking "off".

Still, feel free to of course send in a report as mentioned so we can check whether or not this is caused by said models or if it's due to another issue (which it shouldn't be but anyway) - At least DLSS should help with VRAM usage though, but even that may not be enough if the plants are just too much to handle.

Have you created your own Assets through the Globeplants models, or have you been using them as Linked Models (proxies) as well? You may try the latter method as well if you haven't already, but again, it may still be overloading your machine after all.

Yes, using proxies that are already set up by Globeplants. This was the appeal of buying their sets.

• I notice they launched a separate range of low poly assets specifically aimed at Enscape and they talk about how well those perform there. I’m guessing you are using the original versions

They only have 2 sets right now that are low poly, but yes, I was assuming that this was probably a way to address the issues I am running into. Unfortunately, I will have to re-purchase the sets I already own. They are great plants, but they are quite heavy for Enscape.

• I’m just bummed that these came out after I bought 4 sets. Dropping another $180 on a set I already own isn’t my idea of a good time. Also, most of the sets I bought do not have low poly versions yet.

• Official Post

I’m just bummed that these came out after I bought 4 sets. Dropping another $180 on a set I already own isn’t my idea of a good time. Also, most of the sets I bought do not have low poly versions yet.

Sorry to hear that...

As mentioned, perhaps there is a way for you to convert these sets into lower poly versions - Using this tool here for example. I have to say though that I haven't had a chance to convert any globeplants objects before specifically, some other high-poly models were converted properly though which worked well in Enscape too.

Perhaps alternatively they may offer you a refund too if you detail the situation and that you weren't aware of how optimized Assets have to be, to be displayed properly in real-time, or Enscape specifically. Might be worth a shot to instead acquire the low-poly bundles instead.

• Sorry to hear that...

As mentioned, perhaps there is a way for you to convert these sets into lower poly versions - Using this tool here for example. I have to say though that I haven't had a chance to convert any globeplants objects before specifically, some other high-poly models were converted properly though which worked well in Enscape too.

Perhaps alternatively they may offer you a refund too if you detail the situation and that you weren't aware of how optimized Assets have to be, to be displayed properly in real-time, or Enscape specifically. Might be worth a shot to instead acquire the low-poly bundles instead.

Yes, Skimp and Transmutr are both great plugins. I will reach out to the Globeplants and see what they offer as a solution. Thanks for all the input!

• Yes, Skimp and Transmutr are both great plugins. I will reach out to the Globeplants and see what they offer as a solution. Thanks for all the input!

Wishing I had found this thread before purchasing :) Did they offer you any recourse or just a sorry charley?

• Coming back to this - What do you mean by killing your machine?

I've started using high-poly assets (specifically trees) combined with Globeplants etc and my performance on an RTX 3090 is fine. Now with the latest Enscape, I have to disable the RTX Shadows which is a fair trade.

• I’ll have to test again but I was getting constant crashes using full poly Globeplants models on a 3080Ti. I purchased a low poly set and they are great. Globeplants did not offer an exchange as they do not have low poly options for all sets as of yet.

• I also use Globeplants models, but they are too big for me finally. So now I use Maxtree plants. I use 3ds max and Transmutr to import, export and control the number of poly.. I try to reduce size of plants to 150MO and 200k poly and loading time is better in Enscape

• I wonder if this is why the newest set that was just released (Canada plants) doesn't even offer an Enscape option in the formats as the other bundles in the past have?

Quite possibly. I've had some luck with using the .skp models with Enscapes workaround. They take a second to load, but once in there I can skatter/move copy pretty freely without lag. My main issue with this is the plant files MUST be located on your C drive. Not so much an issue for my PC but my laptop is limited on space in comparison... At this point, kinda hope we just get better plants with Enscape natively :)

• Its pretty scene dependent. We work in some pretty massive scenes now and one brought my titan rtx to its knees. We ended up upgrading to an A6000 to get a job out the door. The globe plants are amazing but even with the 6000 i have to use them sparingly.