Globeplants - Killing my machine!

• I think the issue is that these were advertised and sold as compatible with Enscape, which they sort of are, as long as you use them sparingly. In most cases, you want to be able to copy a lot of plants and trees and these just are not the right solution for this.

The low poly versions have worked a lot better for me. I think it was just a little bit of false advertisement in the case of the high poly versions and I wonder if that's why they are no longer listing the new sets as Enscape compatible.

• Well maybe we will be blessed one day by the Enscape devs with some better plantings :) I own a d5 seat and the landscaping and landscape tools in that program are amazing...but the ease of use and render times keep pulling me back to Enscape!

One thing I don't really understand though is I played around with the most recent vray and they have some Globe plants baked right into Vray Cosmos that popped right in no problem. Even on my rtx2070 max q, it was a breeze to handle. I havent tested bringing a Globe Plant proxy in, but now Im curious.

• One thing I don't really understand though is I played around with the most recent vray and they have some Globe plants baked right into Vray Cosmos that popped right in no problem. Even on my rtx2070 max q, it was a breeze to handle. I havent tested bringing a Globe Plant proxy in, but now Im curious.

Hey Landshaper - just as a little explanation here, Vray and Enscape are entirely separate tech, since Enscape is a real-time solution while Vray is an offline renderer. In short this means Enscape is faster in general, but has trouble handling overly complex scenes while Vray can take all the time in the world to tackle pretty much any amount of complexity.
    We're working on ways to find a common ground, though ;)

• I own a d5 seat and the landscaping and landscape tools in that program are amazing...but the ease of use and render times keep pulling me back to Enscape!

I felt the same way when I played with D5. Twinmotion's stock plants are even worse. I feel like I have seen some of Enscape's models in Chaos Cosmos, I wonder why we have seen some of Cosmos' plants in Enscape?

• I think the issue is that these were advertised and sold as compatible with Enscape, which they sort of are, as long as you use them sparingly. In most cases, you want to be able to copy a lot of plants and trees and these just are not the right solution for this.

This is the case of any real time renderer (or renderer full stop!) , you don’t have unlimited power and memory and you have to draw a line somewhere.

I guess this shows an issue with the UX and Ui for what is often a very non-technical crowd , who are blissfully unaware of the limitations of technology.

It’s particularly interesting for Enscape as it appears to be a product designed for real-time application, but had been adopted to be used in a lvery traditional way (to generate stills).

In some ways I wonder if it would be beneficial to have sown kind of memory budget counter or frame time information, so users could perhaps have a target to optimise their scene Forza

Adam Fairclough

Customer Success Manager

SketchUp UK / Elmtec UK

• a very non-technical crowd , who are blissfully unaware of the limitations of technology.

I would argue that almost everyone in this thread is quite the opposite. My only argument is that Globeplants shouldn’t have sold these hi-poly versions as Enscape compatible models because they really are not. It wasn’t a total loss because I can use them with VRay or open the full geometry files and reduce the poly counts in Skimp or Transmutr but that’s not what I paid $180 for.

• I would argue that almost everyone in this thread is quite the opposite. My only argument is that Globeplants shouldn’t have sold these hi-poly versions as Enscape compatible models because they really are not. It wasn’t a total loss because I can use them with VRay or open the full geometry files and reduce the poly counts in Skimp or Transmutr but that’s not what I paid $180 for.

It wasn't a comment aimed directly at anybody here, moreso an observation of the typical software user in 2022 - I have to help these types of people on a daily basis with SketchUp and multiple rendering packages.

"Why does my model run so poorly?"

"it's because on that shelf you've got a tiny 3D cactus on that shelf just there to the right of that coffee cup made of pure geometry consisting of 270million tris and you computer can't handle that"

They are typically trained as designers or artists or architects - the tools themselves are so easy to get started that you can go into using them with zero training or understanding of some of the underpinnings of the technology and it's limitations.

Trees and Foliage are one of those very things that cause pain for everyone involved, just because you CAN place 200 trees it doesn't mean that is the right thing to do and it doesn't mean that it will work as you expect.

There is clearly no issue with having a heavy high detailed hero asset like the ones provided by globeplants if you need something so detailed to illustrate something specific at that level of fidelity.

[Blocked Image: https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C5755M/the-netherlands-breklenkamp-autumn-colours-tree-growing-through-roof-C5755M.jpg]

and the use case for such a detailed object is different to say this

[Blocked Image: https://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1018175626/thumb/1.jpg?ip=x480]

• You've got a company making these available because there are situations where you might need it.
    • a software company creating software that limited by the hardware of the user, that perhaps does not communicate this so well.
    • Users who have a lack of experience/understanding with 3D rendering packages that this can cause them issues or might not actually be possible in the way they are trying to achieve it.

So what's the solution?

There is stuff that everyone could do better :)