DLSS substantially lowers grapfical fidelity

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I was wondering for the longest time why VR started to have much lower quality. Performance was improved, but I have jagged jumping lines everywhere, like 3D graphics from the 90s before lines started to be anti-aliased. I finally figured out that it was caused by DLSS. Why is it working so bad for me? DLSS is supposed to improve performance with no noticable drop in quality. Here is a video of looking at an Enscape Asset with DLSS Off and On. Look at it full screen to see the bad "no anti-aliasing" effect on the side of the picture. When looking at something like grass this effect makes the whole screen apear to jump into my eyes.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

burggraben , I'm sorry to hear you only now found out that it was DLSS which was responsible for the drop in Visual Quality using VR - You aren't the first to report this here, so allow me to copy my last response about this topic:

We do not recommend using DLSS within VR currently, since it should instead rather be used when viewing Enscape on your monitor/TV. One main reason is that technically you're looking at a screen within the device just centimeters away from your eyes (stretched over a wide field of view using about a monitor resolution), which would be about the same as moving really close to your monitor, which is obviously not something anyone would want to do, and at least at the moment DLSS seems to not be well suited for VR because of that. Simply put, it looks great when the output is viewed from a normal distance (on a monitor), but falls off when zooming in too much.

For the time being, while DLSS seems to not be optimized for VR, we recommend disabling it even if it offers improved performance. We're already using DLSS 2.xx, but I'm sure there'll be lots of further improvements made by NIVIDA, which may make DLSS a more viable solution inside VR as well.

It's also not just Enscape - I've been trying a few different applications/games with DLSS on and a higher than normal resolution with my Quest 2 even, but enabling DLSS made the image look fuzzy and just weird to look at overall. As mentioned though, this will be improved upon in the future I am certain.

Last but not least, if disabling DLSS makes the performance suffer too much, you should be able to counter that by reducing either the framerate (hertz) or resolution, depending on the headset you're using. Let me know in case you need any assistance with that.

• Sorry, missed that. Since DLSS can be toggled on the fly it would be nice if Enscape would automatically disable it when entering VR mode. Sure would improve the default quality for a lot of users.

Thankyfully performance it okay for me at 90FPS on my RTX3090 even without DLSS, altough it does use about twice the GPU resources.

I do run Enscape on medium though. After alot of trial and error I found out that High and Ultra just don't feel as good in VR. They both cause an interesting effect where it look like a scene is rendered (pixels coming in) for a second when turning your head. Medium is instant and has more imersion. Lighting effect can also be too distracting and flickering on High and Ultra. So weirdly, Medium Rendering Quality looks "better" to me than High or Ultra in VR.

• Sorry, missed that. Since DLSS can be toggled on the fly it would be nice if Enscape would automatically disable it when entering VR mode. Sure would improve the default quality for a lot of users.

Thankyfully performance it okay for me at 90FPS on my RTX3090 even without DLSS, altough it does use about twice the GPU resources.

I do run Enscape on medium though. After alot of trial and error I found out that High and Ultra just don't feel as good in VR. They both cause an interesting effect where it look like a scene is rendered (pixels coming in) for a second when turning your head. Medium is instant and has more imersion. Lighting effect can also be too distracting and flickering on High and Ultra. So weirdly, Medium Rendering Quality looks "better" to me than High or Ultra in VR.

Agree,, Ability to turn DLSS or Raytracing in exported .exe will be so helpful.. Flexibility on running the .exe on different PC/Laptops..

• Official Post

Agree,, Ability to turn DLSS or Raytracing in exported .exe will be so helpful.. Flexibility on running the .exe on different PC/Laptops..

Feel free to also forward this feedback of yours to PM directly:

Enscape Public Voting Portal (How to forward/upvote Feature/Asset Requests directly) - News & FAQ - Enscape Community Forum

But of course, any discussion or feedback you have can and should still be shared in this Forum as well!