Previous Release / Preview Threads Merged

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
    • Official Post

Will or does atmosphere play a part in Ray Traced Sun Shadows?

Atmosphere is considered only for the sun occlusion (same way as for the shadow mapped sun light). Things like diffusion can still be controlled explicitly via the Shadow Sharpness slider in the visual settings within certain limits.

Really nice improvements (the Revit material editor will really simplify our work) !

Does the ray traced shadows for sun means that we could expect a full support for hdr lighting ? That would be really really great...

Cheers

I'm not completely sure I understand the question here. So for HDRI lighting we're still assuming a sun light source (by default this is placed on the brightest spot of the HDRI). The shadows themselves are not affected by the HDRI contents if that is what you're asking. So in case you'd put a large area light into the HDRI that is not ray traced for shadows here, but the HDRI is still considered in the indirect illumination (which is being path traced).

• Enscape Material Editor for Revit
      Revit users can also now edit materials via the Enscape Material Editor editor. In general, there is a two-way sync between both the Enscape Material Editor and the native Revit Material Editor. Workarounds (grass keyword, video texture, displacement maps) continue to function as before, but only up until an initial change to the material from within the Enscape Material Editor (just like keywords in other CAD's).

Known limitations:
      • Only Revit versions 2019 and later are supported
      • Only works for materials that are "Generic" in Revit
      • Some materials don't have a two-way sync due to limitations in the Revit API
      • Some other possible limitations may include:
        • Texture offset is not supported in the Enscape Material Editor
        • Tint color works a bit differently in Enscape Material Editor, therefore no full two-way sync
        • Specular is not included in two-way sync
        • Some very edgy edge cases that don't make sense in the Enscape material system are not included in two-way sync

Overall this is a great addition, but for the release it would be great if there was a knowledge base article with exact details on the limitations.

For example:

1) texture offset is not supported: I believe this was supported before, so does this mean we should expect textures to potentially shift when upgrading to Enscape 3.1?

2) Tint color: in my first tests this seemed to be syncing, but I might be overlooking something. What does "no FULL two-way sync" mean exactly?

3) What materials don't have a two-way sync? Knowing the exact list here is critical so we don't get caught by surprise.

4) Not sure what the "edge cases" are

This might sound like nitpicking, but some of these issues could end up playing a big role in production.

• Was looking forward to this update with a render I'm doing today, but it's been hit and miss with reflections, and with the RTX Sun Rays option on all inputs are delayed. Even in the options menu. I'm using Revit 2020 at the moment.

I'm working on an i9-9900k, 32GB of system memory and an RTX 2080, been smooth as silk from the beginning but this update didn't agree with my setup. Had to roll back to 3.0.2 to get my render quality back.

I enjoy testing these beta releases, especially when they contain updates that are RTX specific. Hoping it's just a preview thing. Will update all drivers again and test after I get this out the door. No crashes, although I did have a freeze with the API on launch one time. If I do get an error I'll absolutely send it in.

Thanks Enscape for the work you do, I think RTX technology is perfect for what we do.

• Great additions very much appreciated

But I had some horrible crashes with scenes close to my 6 gig limit of my RTX2060 it crashed Revit as well wit5h no chance to sent a report.

With smaller scenes, I had no issues.

One thing I missed was a way to selecting elements that tell me what material is used like the BIM feature just for Materials only

• Official Post

But I had some horrible crashes with scenes close to my 6 gig limit of my RTX2060 it crashed Revit as well wit5h no chance to sent a report.

With smaller scenes, I had no issues.

Sorry to hear about that! As usual we're very much interested to have a look when issues like that happen, so please do send us your log files and crash dumps after you restart Revit. The information will still be there, even if Revit crashed before.

In the meantime you might want to try and see if some of the new functionality might cause those issues: You could try and disable Ray traced sun shadows and/or the Nvidia Denoiser and see if that has an effect. Both features do require some additional memory, so it might play a role, when you're already low on memory.

• Just did a test with DLSS on and DLSS off and with DLSS off I am getting 30-40fps and with DLSS on I am getting 80+ FPS, which is amazing, well done guys.

Is this DLSS 2.0? and should we expect further improvements?

I also had a quick look at VR which I typically had to run on medium settings now I can run at high.

• I'm currently not in the position to check out the sun raytracing differences. Would someone be able to show a few comparisons with sun raytracing on vs off? Would love to see it and if not, I will just have to wait till next week so I can check it out myself. ;)

• Official Post

Just did a test with DLSS on and DLSS off and with DLSS off I am getting 30-40fps and with DLSS on I am getting 80+ FPS, which is amazing, well done guys.

Is this DLSS 2.0? and should we expect further improvements?

I also had a quick look at VR which I typically had to run on medium settings now I can run at high.

That's the power of deep learning! And yes, we are indeed using DLSS 2.0. I'm sure you can expect further improvements down the line too since DLSS generally is, of course, still a major feature from NVIDIA that is constantly being improved. Let alone the leap from DLSS 1.0 to 2.0 was grand actually, so we can be excited for what else is there to come in the future!

Still, do you have any specific further improvements in the back of your mind? Improved resolution, detail, or simply even more FPS/performance boost? :)

• This sounds like an issue we should look into. While we expect raytraced sun shadows to have a performance impact, it should be minor, especially on a machine like yours. In particular, enabling sun shadows shouldn't affect UI responsiveness. Are you experiencing this sluggishness with different projects?

• landrvr1 could you give this version a try for the replaced textures?

Indeed I will ! Let me install the preview version tonight and I'll report back.

Question: Do I need to completely uninstall Enscape 3.0.2 and then install the preview? Or can I just run the preview installer?
    Also, when I'm done testing and want to go back to 3.0,2, same question......

Tnx

• That's the power of deep learning! And yes, we are indeed using DLSS 2.0. I'm sure you can expect further improvements down the line too since DLSS generally is, of course, still a major feature from NVIDIA that is constantly being improved. Let alone the leap from DLSS 1.0 to 2.0 was grand actually, so we can be excited for what else is there to come in the future!

Still, do you have any specific further improvements in the back of your mind? Improved resolution, detail, or simply even more FPS/performance boost? :)

I think improvements in VR image quality would be great.

• Official Post

I'm confident that this will be a natural evolvement coming with future releases/updates of DLSS and/or technical improvements from Enscape! You can be assured that I'll forward your feedback anyway, and stay tuned for updates as they come as always. :)

• The installers will automatically remove previous versions both ways

• I was really excited to see this update! DLSS especially looks promissing. So, I took it for a ride on a project we have been working on recently. A project that has been heavy on our machines and could use an increase in framerate! Unfortunately, with RTX turned on (along with the 3 sub-features), it is extremely laggy and unstable. All inputs are delayed about 2-3 seconds, making it impossible to navigate. and when the camera moves the framerate does not seem to have improved either. And before long (withing a minute of trying to navigate around) enscape crashes and takes sketchup with it :)

Granted, the model is heavy... but that is the case for most of the projects we do. With RTX Turned off my gpu memory usage is around 7,2 gb (of the 8 available on my RTX 2080). With RTX turned on it goes to just about 7,3, so not much of a difference, and not on the limit of my vram.

if I turn all RTX settings off everything is stable as a rock. I've send logfiles, and hope you can figure out why this is happening.

Is it a limitation of RTX not working on larger projects? That would be a pity!

• Official Post

Thanks for your report! I will inquire Customer Service about your logs.

Until then a couple of questions:

• Does the input lag occur only in those big projects or does it happen also in smaller projects (where framerate is definitely of no concern) We've witnessed similar behavior ourselves even with a very high framerate, when the Renderer is running completely on Vulkan, but only on specific systems and are not entirely sure yet, what could cause this.
    • Does it run more stable if you disable Ray traced sun shadows & Nvidia Denoiser and reduce quality to Medium?
    • Do you have any systems with more memory (e.g. running on Quadro RTX cards) where you could test if the same issues occur?

If you're at 7.2/7.3GB of 8GB physical memory it is most likely still an out of memory situation, which unfortunately still happens to be less stable than on OpenGL, where the driver takes care of all of the memory management behind the scenes and can work around it e.g. by swapping memory from VRAM to RAM. We do hope we'll be able to improve the situation on Vulkan continously though.