Previous Release / Preview Threads Merged

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I was interested in the self-shadowing. So I have just installed preview 6 over my past preview 4.

I slightly see the effect, which is really nice!

2 questions:

1. Is there an option to enhance this shadow / make it stronger? Or only trough general 'shadow brightness controlls'?

2. The preview 4 version, looks more gritty and more detailed than the preview 6 version, or is this 'noise' which was 'accidentily' added in preview 4? Because in the example below, the older version looks more realistic, doesn't it?

(ps. 2.9.4 and 2.9.6, my bad.)

• We've just released the new Enscape version 2.9!

Have a look at the blog post showing off the new features and additions.

There are several options to upgrade:

• Follow the link in your trial registration email
    • Click the update link in the in-program notification
    • Open the "About" window and click the Download Area link

For detailed questions and issues, feel free to write us at support@enscape3d.com or use this thread.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Changes in Version 2.9

New Features:

Improvements:

Rendering

• Improved quality of screen space results
      • Reduction of light leaking
    • Hierarchical Screen Space Traversal
      • Improved reflections and sharpness in close reflections
    • Prevent geometry leaking (common grass / carpet material issue)
    • Improved Specular GI via improved Blue Noise sampling
    • Improved Ray Traced Sun Shadows
    • Animations decoupled from Time of Day change
      • New continuous animation playback mode while Enscape in focus (not if BIM / Collab is in focus)
    • Improved RTX performance
      • All GI passes now running in Vulkan for RTX GPU's

Features

• Standalone Executable Files
      • These are now localized which means they assume the OS language. If the language is not known, the fallback language, English, is used.
    • Enscape Asset Library
      • An additional 120 fitness themed assets

Changelog:

• Rhino - Materials per surface
      • BREPS and poly-surfaces now allow sub-object selection and material assignment

Known Issues:

• ArchiCAD 24 crashes when editing materials in Enscape Material Editor whilst an update is running
    • SketchUp and Enscape will crash when un-checking Explicit Transformation after changing the Textures size in SketchUp
    • Vectorworks and Enscape can crash when selecting the 'Existing Site Model Surface' option in Vectorworks
    • OpenGL context lost issue persists
    • Revit - Collaboration Annotation Issues are misplaced - mismatch between BIM Track and Revit
    • SketchUp can crash after closing it where the Collaboration Annotations Settings window is open

Bug Fixes:

Please find a list of the most common customer facing bug fixes attached as a .pdf below. We provide this list as a courtesy to our users and is not a complete list of all bug fixes during the development cycle. Please refer to the Bug ID if you have further questions regarding any of these.

• Official Post

@Clemens:

maybe there's something different with the heightmaps I am using? (although I tried multiple different providers).

Could you perhaps give this material a shot (free download): https://www.poliigon.com/texture/bricks-01

So I had a look at this example and it's basically two things coming together:

1) What they offer as a displacement map is not really suitable. It's a very poorly post processed greyscale version of the diffuse texture (On a side note: What is offered on this site are not proper PBR textures. For PBR rendering it's important to use an Albedo texture without any lighting information in it as a base color. They're offering diffuse textures that still contain lighting information such as self-shadows).

2) The current Revit integration via threshold of the bump amount doesn't allow for fine grained displacement control, which could avoid getting completely off the charts results with these kind of low quality displacement maps. I think we should remap the value range above the threshold, so that you can also utilize displacement mapping with an amount of only 1 in Revit.

1. No, there's no direct way to control these. The self-shadowing is very limited, as it's just an effect calculated in screen space based on the normals, since the displacement doesn't actually modify the geometry.

2. It depends, there's a slight blur in the pre-processing of the displacement map to avoid precision artifacts (banding) when loading low precision (8bit) displacement maps. This could explain that. Ideally you'd only have that kind of micro detail in the normalmap, you can achieve that by combining an existing normalmap with the displacement map into a single RGBA texture and load it as displacement. We'll improve upon that in later versions for an easier workflow.

preview.6 camera crashes when rendering. It means that the preview image is normal but the image is stuck to the ground, I'm not good at English so I use google translate

Thanks for your report. I assume two-point perspective was enabled? We've received reports about that issue and have fixed it in the meantime. It will be fixed for the release or shortly after it in a hotfix.

• 2. It depends, there's a slight blur in the pre-processing of the displacement map to avoid precision artifacts (banding) when loading low precision (8bit) displacement maps. This could explain that. Ideally you'd only have that kind of micro detail in the normalmap, you can achieve that by combining an existing normalmap with the displacement map into a single RGBA texture and load it as displacement. We'll improve upon that in later versions for an easier workflow.

Thank you Clemens Musterle, for your reply. I do wonder though, why was this not in the previous version, why does it look more detailed / sharp there? Or do you mean that in the newest version you have added this slight blur in the pre-processing?

• Official Post

Thank you Clemens Musterle, for your reply. I do wonder though, why was this not in the previous version, why does it look more detailed / sharp there? Or do you mean that in the newest version you have added this slight blur in the pre-processing?

Yes, this was added in later Previews to avoid precision artifacts like this, which you sometimes get with 8bit displacement maps:

• Ah that explains it, thanks.

Maybe an idea for a future version to toggle this 'smoothening' on/off for specific textures? If needed, put this under 'advanced' controls at the displacement map?

Because although I really understand the reason for applying it, for this texture it does make it look less realistic, while it looked so good.

• So I had a look at this example and it's basically two things coming together:

1) What they offer as a displacement map is not really suitable. It's a very poorly post processed greyscale version of the diffuse texture

2) The current Revit integration via threshold of the bump amount doesn't allow for fine grained displacement control, which could avoid getting completely off the charts results with these kind of low quality displacement maps. I think we should remap the value range above the threshold, so that you can also utilize displacement mapping with an amount of only 1 in Revit.

Because this system is looking for a specific type of map, I think auto-trigger the displacement feature at 500 is risky. Too many chances for undesired behaviors.

Another way to solve this would be to look at the material map name: if the map name includes "disp" or "displacement" you could treat it as such, if "normal" you could treat it at a normal map, and otherwise load it as bump.

This has the benefit that it can also work on the new "physically accurate" shaders in Revit (which are now considered the 'main system', and the 'generic shader' is (in theory) legacy/on it's way out).

• The render panorama in 2.9 is extreme slow!

beta 6 seams to be a bit faster than beta 4, but still much slower compared to previous versions

Hi!

Have you noticed that the render resolution of the Panorama in "High" is now 16384 x 8192 pixel? (WOW!!!!)

In previous version it was limited at 8192 x 4096 pixel!

So.. now is normal that render time is nearly 4 x slower for 4 x more resolution! :)

I hope to see batch render for panoramas ASAP!!!

• Version 2.9 has turned out to be very buggy.... has crashed on exporting images and rendering videos at least 5 times today alone.

Hopefully my reports are helping identify where the problems are and a 2.9.1 patch to be issued quickly.

Also i think you may have buried the lead, with the implementation of displacement maps... something many have been waiting for!

Oh and the offline asset library... THANK YOU. .... btw after placing the asset you should be able to rotate it before returning to the library.