VR Performance

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi, I've noticed VR performance in Enscape seems to have gotten worse switching from versions 3.1 to 3.3, and am wondering whether it has something to do with the introduced DLSS mode or raytraced sun shadow settings. It's odd, because in theory DLSS should have provided a boost to VR performance, but if other settings were turned up as well (like adding the full raytraced shadows in VR) those improvements could very well have been cancelled out or worsened.

It's always a tradeoff between graphical fidelity and performance (framerate), but in VR this becomes especially important. We use a 2080ti, so it's possible you're targetting faster graphics cards these days by cranking up the settings, and we're just falling behind. I hate having to switch from ultra to high mode in VR though, as you lose global illumination, which makes a huge difference on interior scenes.

• Official Post

Thanks for your report TowerPower , right away, I have to add that the Ultra Rendering Quality mode is usually reserved for higher-end graphics cards, depending on the scene complexity as well.

We generally do not recommend enabling DLSS when VR is active, which also means that Raytraced Sunshadows should probably be turned off before jumping into VR - Have you tried that already in combination with Ultra Rendering Quality?

As you're aware already, VR is of course a lot more performance-hungry compared to the normal (2D) screen output. At least during non-VR DLSS can and should be enabled which also ensures that you still get decent performance with Raytracing turned on. This is rather normal though and most games/applications rely on DLSS to make Raytracing viable in the first place, especially on the NVIDIA 2xxx generation cards.

• Thanks Demian Gutberlet I'll give that a try. Is there a reason DLSS and VR don't mix well? From what you're saying, I also gather that raytraced sun shadows remain on while in VR mode. My understanding was there are certain settings that get automatically turned down or turned off to enable VR performance - things like global illumination and reflection quality - so I assumed maybe that would be the same case here. Given we have manual control over DLSS and sunshadows via checkboxes though, I can see why leaving them on might make sense.

• Official Post

TowerPower , you can check out my reply here which goes into a bit more detail when it comes to why DLSS may not always work well combined with VR, yet. Also, I've had a quick chat with our developers and Raytraced Sunshadows should actually be turned off by default when you enter VR - If this isn't the case on your machine for whatever reason, let me know of course.

• Hi Demian, wanted to jump on this thread as with the latest Enscape 3.3 when I launch VR mode keep looking for a headseat (on my quest, i can read the message Loading). When i install the older V3.2, i have no issues.

I am running on a RTX 3080Ti, so it's not the card for sure. Any help?

• Official Post

Hi Demian, wanted to jump on this thread as with the latest Enscape 3.3 when I launch VR mode keep looking for a headseat (on my quest, i can read the message Loading). When i install the older V3.2, i have no issues.

I am running on a RTX 3080Ti, so it's not the card for sure. Any help?

Hi Erald, in this case also make sure to please acquire and install Steam + SteamVR which is required to make use of VR in 3.3 while we are working on official compatibility.

• Hi Erald, in this case also make sure to please acquire and install Steam + SteamVR which is required to make use of VR in 3.3 while we are working on official compatibility.

Thanks for the fast reply Demian. For the moment I rolled back to 3.2. In version 3.3 beside VR not working, it is also giving me material issues. The same Rhino file, while opened in 3.3 loses some of the materials, they read white. When I use 3.2 they show up correctly. Looks like the latest Enscape is quite buggy for the time being.
    Unrelated, but if it is helpful to your team or if anyone else has VR lag and performance issue: If someone connects his Quest via Cable in their machines, and they use a USB Type C adapter (not all workstations have the new Type C ports) that adapter drastically worsen VR performance. Meta's link cable is very high speed, high performance to avoid VR lag, but most of adapters sold online are cheap chinese hardware that will ruin your experience by being the bottleneck in data speed transfer.

• Official Post

Thanks for the fast reply Demian. For the moment I rolled back to 3.2. In version 3.3 beside VR not working, it is also giving me material issues. The same Rhino file, while opened in 3.3 loses some of the materials, they read white. When I use 3.2 they show up correctly. Looks like the latest Enscape is quite buggy for the time being.
    Unrelated, but if it is helpful to your team or if anyone else has VR lag and performance issue: If someone connects his Quest via Cable in their machines, and they use a USB Type C adapter (not all workstations have the new Type C ports) that adapter drastically worsen VR performance. Meta's link cable is very high speed, high performance to avoid VR lag, but most of adapters sold online are cheap chinese hardware that will ruin your experience by being the bottleneck in data speed transfer.

This material behavior you detail has already been resolved with our latest service pack update - You can simply acquire Enscape 3.3.1 here, install it, and the material issues should be gone.