proxies - relative file paths

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • hi there,

sorry to bring this up again, but what is the status on relative file paths?

it would be super if it would be supportet and if enscape offers some "help" when maps went missing... maybe it could iterate down the file tree of the current component/proxy location looking for the files?!

anyway - i hope to get some good news on this one since we operate on different machines and networks and it makes no sense to have duped and tripled...

>> if anyone has a good workflow or file management for custom models proxies and mateiral - lat me know :)

best, franza

win 10 | 3080ti | intel 12900k | 64 gig ram | asus mainboard | ssd 980 pro | valve index | dual asus proart 4k monitor

drawing stuff with vectorworks, modelling stuff with sketchup, rendering inside blender/cinema4d with corona render

& ofc using enscape and lately d5 and also a little ue5 :)

best of all > experiencing stuff in VR with enscape !!

• Official Post

Hi Franza,

we still don't have ways to change material paths afterwards automatically or via relative paths.

What I can offer is a proven workflow that can be useed n shared / team projects:

The problem

Enscape uses a bunch of external resources. These are Custom-Assets, Downloaded-Materials, Material-Textures, Skyboxes, Light definitions, Sound files or Linked Sketchup Models.

Depending on your Design Application and storage infrastructure, these external files are not found if you open a project on another PC. This leads to error messages, missing assets and bad material quality (no Height or Roughness Maps and so on). Currently, external resources have to be manually reassigned.

Solution

Accessing external resources on a dedicated mapped drive within a predefined folder structure enables Enscape to load ALL external resources without errors and show the result in original high quality.

The underlying set of folders can be located anywhere on the local computer or on the network. This will work with dropbox, SharePoint and OneDrive, .... too. But folders must be keeped on device!

Resources can be shared with externals via structered ZIP files, starting at folder level “EnscapeResources”.

Proposal for a folder structure:

Used drive will be X:\

Main folder for resources could be #EnscapeResourcesOnX - this one will be mapped to X:\
    inside this the predefined, commonly structured folders are located.

Consiting of the mainfolder EnscapeResources and the following subfolders

• Custom_Asset_Projects
    • Custom_Assets
    • Downloaded_Enscape_Materials
    • IES
    • Linked_Models
    • Skyboxes
    • Sound_files
    • Textures

Within the Custom Assets -, Textures-, Skyboxes-, Sound_files- and IES folders you can create subfolders for individual projects, if needed. This will help exchanging projects with externals via ZIP files.

To share downloaded native Enscape Assets as well, an EnscapeAssets folder can be included on the level of the EnscapeResources folder. This make sense if Assets should be stored locally and not be downloaded individually on each PC.

Now map the folder as a networkdrive:

1. Locate your Resource folder (e.g. C:\....\....\....\#EnscapeResourcesOnX) and copy path
    2. Edit path (e.g. in Notepad) and change drive C:\ to \\localhost\C$\ (D:\ must be renamed to \\localhost\D$\) - result should look like \\localhost\C$\Users\...\...\...\VIZ-Projects\#EnscapeResourcesOnX. Copy this to the clipboard.
    3. Inside Windows Explorer go to “This PC” and open “Map network“ drive from the Computer menu.
    4. Map drive X: to the edited path by pasting it from the clipboard.
    5. Now your drive X: shows the content of the mapped path. If you want, you can rename the drive name to something like “Enscape Resources”.

Last step will be setting paths up in Enscape:

1. Downloaded Materials
    2. Custom Assets Library
    3. Custom Asset Projects source path

And most important:

Select files like Textures, Skyboxes, IES ,... directly on drive X:\

If you have any feedback or ideas to improve, please let me know.

• hi there,

thanks for the detailed explanation - i guess there is no way around this then :/

win 10 | 3080ti | intel 12900k | 64 gig ram | asus mainboard | ssd 980 pro | valve index | dual asus proart 4k monitor

drawing stuff with vectorworks, modelling stuff with sketchup, rendering inside blender/cinema4d with corona render

• Official Post

And here it comes ;o)

The ZIP holds the mainfolder "#EnscapeResourcesOnX" with all the subfolders and 2 scripts / BAT files.

Just unzip it somewhere on your machine and run MapFolderAsDriveX.bat. This will automate the process of mapping the folder as drive X:

With the second scrip you can unmap the folder.

To map any other folder as X: - just copy the BAT files to the folder and run it from there.

• Hi Norbert

Thank you for the option. Need to excuse myself if I am a noob, but for me this whole thing is not clear at all.
    I am desperate to move my model on another computer (more powerful) because I have my University submission in a week, and on my computer the model crashes after taking 10minutes to load. This option would definitely help me out, but I need to understand how to actually do it. Is there a video tutorial link? or a link to a different easier stepbystep explanation for basic users like myself?

Kind regards,

• hi there,

question, i have moved all my models, textures etc onto a NAS and i have mapped the nas drive as a network drive to "z"

now i also have put the "offline" models on this drive - does this make sense or would it be better to have the assets offline one each pc OR will the speed of the online asset library be increased so far that it makes no difference using the offline library?

and when downloaded, can i force enscape on the others pcs to use this allready downloaded library`? or would i have to download it on each machinen and overwrite the stuff on the network drive?

• Official Post

Hi,

having your offline Assets on a NAS will be faster, than downloading them each time from the web. Storing them on your internal HDD will be eaven faster.

We use Sharepoint and "Always keep on this device" on each machine to have maximum speed and a shared library. To have a common setup for Enscape, we map this folder on each machine as a networkdrive, so the path to the library will be the same on each machine.