Visual Settings

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi,

In the last couple of releases the visual settings have moved to the Enscape window - which is great.

But... its also changed so that the settings auto-save as they are edited, this is problematic, as the saved settings can be accidently changed without warning. My feeling is that the previous behaviour was much better - as soon as a setting was changed the preset switched to "new settings" and you had to manually save over an exisiting preset to overwrite the settings. It would be really great if we could get this back so that presets are less likely to be accidently changed.

Another minor observation - the saved presets are sometimes "hidden" and the arrow to access them again is tiny - a lot of users don't even know they're there!

• Official Post

Thanks a lot for your input - You aren't the first to request this, so I'll bring this topic up again internally. It may not be the ideal workaround, but you can also always duplicate important settings of yours in case they're adjusted by accident. I still understand why you'd like to have the ability to save settings manually though of course, so thank you again for the feedback.

• Couldn't agree more with all your points hollers

- settings shouldn't auto save

- the access to the presets is very hidden. Maybe they should always be open?

- I also think creating a new preset should duplicate from the active preset, not create one with the default settings ...

- some settings would be better moved to the view itself, like FOV, perspective/ortho, DOF, etc

• Yes, currently I have to remember to duplicate a setting (or save settings to a file for insurance.) I would much rather have some kind of automatic save of previous settings, or a checkbox before you overwrite your current settings.

One helpful thing (a small silver lining) is that the current setting is saved when the model file is saved. Thus, if you have an older saved version of the file with the previous visual settings, you can open that up, export the setting, and then replace the setting that you just inadvertently changed with this restored previous version.

• One helpful thing (a small silver lining) is that the current setting is saved when the model file is saved. Thus, if you have an older saved version of the file with the previous visual settings, you can open that up, export the setting, and then replace the setting that you just inadvertently changed with this restored previous version.

True but that isn't really an argument for the auto-save. This silver lining would also be true if there was an explicit 'save' button on the image settings tab.

• Dear Enscape devs. Please make it hard for customers to break things accidentally. A Save / Save as button (rather than automatically updating presets) would avoid accidentally breaking things and annoying the customer. :)

• Official Post

Thank you again for the continuous input - While I, unfortunately, cannot make any definite promises yet, PM is aware that automatic saving could indeed also be something that is optional aka a feature that can be turned on/off at will. Once I have any further news I'll share them with your immediately in the future, but there is no concrete ETA just yet I'm afraid.

• also be something that is optional aka a feature that can be turned on/off at will

If that route is taking, I think it would be important that auto-save is OFF by default. If this needs to be turned off by the user, I think we will still see many accidental edits because people will forget (or not even realize this is a thing).

• - I also think creating a new preset should duplicate from the active preset, not create one with the default settings ...

This is just bizarre behavior. Hitting the "big orange button" should imply that you are saving things the way you are currently seeing them. NOT "change everything" and make me wonder WTF just happened to all the settings I have been tweaking.

• If that route is taking, I think it would be important that auto-save is OFF by default. If this needs to be turned off by the user, I think we will still see many accidental edits because people will forget (or not even realize this is a thing).

Many users were also upset about this absurd change. For some reason it still remains this way. For what possible reason the Enscape team has on this Settings behavior? Demian Gutberlet, this is an honest and serious question. Really curious as to why.

• As an office, we are currently using the workflow of exporting a preset every time, and then importing it again every time to ensure that it has not accidentally been changed. Not ideal.

We all await with baited breath, for this auto-save 'feature' to be removed.... As you suggest Demian, allowing users to choose is the ideal solution and would satisfy all users.