VR Meta Quest 2 support

• Hi,

I'm about to by VR-headset for my office and wondering if Meta Quest 2 is a valid option to use with Enscape.

I read somwhere that Quest is not officially supported as of now. I can live with a few glitches though and imagine support is planned for future release?

Best regards,

Björn

• Hi djbjorn !

Welcome to our Forum.

The Meta Quest 2 is definitley a great choice for Enscape, even despite the fact that official support is not out just yet, but is planned to be included with a future service pack soon or with an upcoming release.

For now, though, make sure to download, install and open Steam + SteamVR when using our latest release with the Quest 1/2 which is currently the provided workaround.

If you run into any problems or have any further questions, let me know whenever!

• Good afternoon,

Are there any updates as to official support for Quest 2 headsets or when that would be planned? Would purchasing the link cable be preferable for use with Enscape and would there be any other requirements or recommendations for running?

Are you able to elaborate as to how Steam would integrate and how that would work with Enscape?

Thanks

• Good afternoon,

Are there any updates as to official support for Quest 2 headsets or when that would be planned? Would purchasing the link cable be preferable for use with Enscape and would there be any other requirements or recommendations for running?

Are you able to elaborate as to how Steam would integrate and how that would work with Enscape?

Thanks

Good afternoon Dez01 ,

No updates at the moment and it may still take a while until we're able to add official support - The current solution of using Steam + SteamVR alongside Enscape VR has proven to be effective though, so we are still, in fact, recommending the Quest 2/1.

Furthermore, either a capable router with Wifi connection (let me know if I shall go into more detail) or a VR-capable cable is required to use Enscape VR in the first place, it really depends on you in this case though regarding which option you want to go for. There is usually a slight quality improvement visually when using a cable, on the other hand using Wifi frees you of the main cable and the quality is basically the same (perceiving-wise) especially if you don't have them side by side to compare.

When it comes to Steam, you simply have to acquire Steam and SteamVR, and have both running which will then allow you to click the button in the Enscape toolbar/context menu to get into VR. Please make sure that the Oculus Application is actually not started/running, as that can lead to issues or performance loss. You will have to have the application installed though in order to use the Quest 2 with a PC.

Our VR system requirements can also be found here:

https://enscape3d.com/communit…base/system-requirements/

Last but not least, just so you are aware, the official Link Cable is on the expensive side - You can get a similar cable for way less and it does the same job (and you can select a different length if desired), you will have to make sure though that it says something like VR supported in the title or description, which is especially on amazon usually the case. Just look for "oculus link cable" on amazon or another major tech shop and you'll find cheaper solutions. If not for some reason, let me know and I can provide some direct links.

• Hello Enscape Team,

we are having trouble with Quest 2 and Enscape. In VR it says "Enscape Host Launcher" loading with no result. When we try to exit the Oculus apps, the Oculus app keeps restarting itself for the Air Link to be active, causing issues with Steam VR. When it worked occasionally, the VR display was very noisy and the reflections flickered annoyingly. With the cable it looks equally bad. This looked better in previous versions. Any tips or a hotfix so we can use Quest 2 and Enscape again? We used to use it at trade fairs without such problems. I also wrote a Ticket to Enscape Support.

Many Thanks.

Best Regards,

Oleg Kauz

• Thanks for your report.

As per my colleague's reply via the ticket, please also kindly send us a Feedback report with your log files.

Furthermore, is there any chance you could also give "Virtual Desktop" a try? If you are using the Quest 2 wirelessly, doing so will offer you an alternative to Air Link, which is directly provided by Oculus of course so the application also has to be active for it to work, which does indeed cause problems inside of Enscape. Virtual Desktop works around that, and should directly connect to SteamVR.

Let me know if you require any further guidance or in case you stumble upon any issues.

• Given what is possible with exporting both a web viewer and a standalone EXE, why isn't there an ability to bake in textures/lighting in enscape (unreal engine style) and then export a standalone file to the Quest 2 to open in some kind of enscape viewer?

Put yourselves in the shoes of someone running a presentation. It's much more powerful to just hand the headset to someone for them to explore the model, than it is to bust out a laptop, fire up the model, fire up enscape, ensure Steam is running, troubleshoot any connection issues, etc etc. Especially if your revit model is on BIM360 and you have to prep/download/etc before you leave. It's the killer app we're all waiting for! Other coordination packages do it, but it's really basic on the viz side - Enscape is so good on the viz side, but it's missing this one feature that would make it the defacto standard for tethered and untethered viewing.

• Given what is possible with exporting both a web viewer and a standalone EXE, why isn't there an ability to bake in textures/lighting in enscape (unreal engine style) and then export a standalone file to the Quest 2 to open in some kind of enscape viewer?

Put yourselves in the shoes of someone running a presentation. It's much more powerful to just hand the headset to someone for them to explore the model, than it is to bust out a laptop, fire up the model, fire up enscape, ensure Steam is running, troubleshoot any connection issues, etc etc. Especially if your revit model is on BIM360 and you have to prep/download/etc before you leave. It's the killer app we're all waiting for! Other coordination packages do it, but it's really basic on the viz side - Enscape is so good on the viz side, but it's missing this one feature that would make it the defacto standard for tethered and untethered viewing.

That would be awesome, have the same problems with the presentations.

• baking light/textures like in unreal engine to start enscape standalones on wireless low performance hardware is a very interesting suggestion!

small mobile wireless hardware will never reach the performance of a desktop/workstation pc or a expensive notebook... this "MOBILE STANDALONE EXORT" function would be great. there are some examples out there with impressive graphic apps for quest2...

• Is it possible to make the right thumb for rotate the view? Before the need to use SteamVr, only the oculus software and airlink, the right tumb was for rotating the view. Now the user must rotate his body/head to turn around.

• baking light/textures like in unreal engine to start enscape standalones on wireless low performance hardware is a very interesting suggestion!

small mobile wireless hardware will never reach the performance of a desktop/workstation pc or a expensive notebook... this "MOBILE STANDALONE EXORT" function would be great. there are some examples out there with impressive graphic apps for quest2...

given they can do a WEB standalone that basically works on any hardware, and the EXE standalones, I'm not sure why they haven't yet taken the proverbial bull by the horns!!