Problem with Enscape render with .rvt file created by my architect

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • My architect has updated the revit model for my house and sent me the .rvt file. When I load it into Revit on my system and use Enscape live view, the materials are not shown correctly - wrong colour, no texture etc. He is using Revit 2022 and I am using Revit 2023. Does that make a difference ? Is there something that needs to be done so that the materials are stored in the .rvt file so I can open the file on my system and see the proper render ?

• My guess is they sent just the Revit model and not the library of material assets. Revit links the materials in the material library to a folder or folders of images. Once they send that folder you may need to direct Revit to that folder as a file location.

• My guess is they sent just the Revit model and not the library of material assets. Revit links the materials in the material library to a folder or folders of images. Once they send that folder you may need to direct Revit to that folder as a file location.

I shared this with my architect and he said that the materials are standard materials supplied with Enscape and not custom, so he doesn't think it woulld be necessary to do what you said.

I'm wondering if the issue is somehow due to the fact he is using Revit 2022 and I am using Revit 2023. I think the version of Enscape we are using is the same (latest version).

• I shared this with my architect and he said that the materials are standard materials supplied with Enscape and not custom, so he doesn't think it woulld be necessary to do what you said.

I'm wondering if the issue is somehow due to the fact he is using Revit 2022 and I am using Revit 2023. I think the version of Enscape we are using is the same (latest version).

Revit version has nothing to do with this.

I believe the architect might be mistaken here. Unless I'm mistaken, texture maps that came from the Enscape material library aren't automatically downloaded when you open a model (unlike assets, which are automatically downloaded when launching a model). It's in fact a bit tedious to transfer textures from one machine to another, as even if you had the textures, the path's will likely not be the same and you would need to repath all of them.

Have you considered using the .exe exporter for Enscape instead? That one has all the textures baked into it. Or do you want to edit things in Revit?

• For this kind of workflow I made a plugin that exports all textures to a folder, and then you can use the same plugin to fix all the paths on the receiver's side.

It's working and I'm happy to send you an experimental link, but I'm afraid I only have a Revit 2022 version of the plugin at the moment.

• For this kind of workflow I made a plugin that exports all textures to a folder, and then you can use the same plugin to fix all the paths on the receiver's side.

It's working and I'm happy to send you an experimental link, but I'm afraid I only have a Revit 2022 version of the plugin at the moment.

Sounds interesting/useful. Does the plugin need to be installed on architect's system or on mine ? If his, then Revit 2022 is fine. If I also need it, do you think it will work with Revit 2023 or do you need to make code changes ?

• It needs some small code changes and especially a new installer for revit 2023.

Your architect could run it to collect all the textures, and you could fix the paths manually on your end then. That might be a small job if we're only talking about a few materials and you know what you're doing.

You can send me a direct message here for a download link to the plugin.

• It needs some small code changes and especially a new installer for revit 2023.

Your architect could run it to collect all the textures, and you could fix the paths manually on your end then. That might be a small job if we're only talking about a few materials and you know what you're doing.

You can send me a direct message here for a download link to the plugin.

ok, i'll discuss witih my architect and let you know if he wants to try your plugin.

• Ele precisa de algumas pequenas alterações de código e especialmente um novo instalador para o revit 2023.

Seu arquiteto pode ajustar-lo para todas as texturas e você pode ajustar os manualmente do seu lado. Isso pode ser um pequeno trabalho se falando apenas de alguns materiais e você o que está fazendo.

Você pode me enviar uma mensagem direta aqui para um link de download para o plugin.

Eu quero usar esse plugin, tem como me enviar o link por favor. Estou tendo o mesmo problema

• You can pre-download all the Enscape textures. (ctrl-A in the Material window, Import Selection.) Ask your architect what path he has his textures mapped to. (or you can probably see where Revit is trying to find them in the Revit material browser.) If it is something like C:\Work\Project\Enscape\ImportedTextures, you can recreate that path on your PC, download all the Enscape textures there to pre-populate it, and then Revit will find them in the same place.

Unfortunately if he kept the default location, the materials would be going into his user folder. C:\Users\username\Enscape\ImportedTextures. You can create this same folder on your PC, but you can't download directly to it (as you won't have write rights.) However, it looks like if you download them elsewhere, then copy them into that folder, you can still read from it if you point the Enscape material browser to that location in settings.

(to clarify, you can create that "fake" user folder, and copy materials into it, Windows will just ask you for admin approval to do so. However, you can't write directly into it from Enscape, unless possibly you are running Revit+Enscape as "admin")

I hope the Escape devs are working out a better solution, because this is painful for shared work.

• Sounds like Pieter has a lot more experience with the Encape library of materials than I do. Doing commercial work, it has seemed to be a better workflow to have our materials stored centrally on server so multiple users can access that central library with the same path. It also seems to be more future proof to keep the textures within the Revit material editor vs the Enscape one (just not sure how much compatibility there is with the Enscape library in the long run).

There is also a Lumion plugin that I have used for some coordination of Revit files with other programs. It exports to a Collada (.dae) file which you don't need, but it also has a "collect textures" checkbox that will export all the used textures/materials from a model to a single folder. This may be an easy way to get the materials for transfer - again I think that is for Revit materials and I don't know how it would interface with the Enscape material library.

For the developers, that might be a stronger use case for the Enscape material library if it help transfer project materials across users. I'm a bit surprised that it wouldn't just work if a file was transfered in a situation like TimAlsop has here.

• My understanding from the info shared so far is the following:

1. When my architect installed Enscape, the Enscape materials are installed into his user folder, e.g. C:\Users\<architect user>\Enscape\...

2. When he used the Enscape textures/materials in the Revit project, the Revit software links to these textures/materials in his user folder (see 1 above).

3. When I open the Revit project on my PC, it can't find the textures/materials because they are in a folder that doesn't exist on my PC.

Is above correct ? Have I understood the issue correctly ?

I'm not sure why Enscape textures/materials are stored in users folder. Surely it would be better if they were installed into C:\ProgramData\... like Microsoft intended. This is a folder on all Windows workstations that is designed for holding data for a program that is installed. If Enscape used this fodler, e.g. C:\ProgramData\Enscape\... then the same folder would exist on my PC and there wouldn't be any issues finding the files.

The proposed solutions mentioned above all involve some kind of fix to tell my Revit where to find the standard materials/textures. We are not using any custom materials or textures, just the ones provided with Enscape, but I understand that if custom materials/textures were being used, this would be slightly more challenging.

• More or less. Just for anyone else that might find this post by googling: the Enscape materials aren't actually 'installed'. I think the idea is that the texture library will grow over time (just like the asset library does). Including all assets and materials would make the installer huge, and it would mean that enscape would take up a ton of space on your hard drive. For that reason Enscape has the assets and textures on the cloud. The individual materials or assets are downloaded when you actually place them (but only on the computer of the person who is doing the placing of course).

When another user opens the model, the missing assets will be downloaded automatically by Enscape (you won't notice anything, this happens on the background). But with materials textures this is not the case (and it would be hard to do so given how Revit and other BIM programs deal with texture paths).

Note that you can actually configure the folder that Enscape uses to store them. By default this is in the <my documents> folder but nothing is stopping the user to configure this. But this needs to be done before you start placing materials. If you change your location mid project, it will not affect materials that have already been placed.

I understand the sentiment of 'there should be a better way', but it's not trivial to come up with a way that will work well from both the Enscape and Revit perspective. This is why I made the plugin: I couldn't think of a way to fix the issues without some kind of external application to do some of the troubleshooting.

There's a parallel here btw: 3dsmax has the exact same issues for over 20 years and people just deal with it there using plugins.

I want to release my plugin at some point but I'm a hobbyist programmer and don't have a ton of time to work on the installers and upgrading to the recent Revit versions. Maybe Enscape wants to sponsor the project so I can wrap it up and release it to the community for free ... ;) ?

• We should also note that Revit has a built-in system to deal with the missing textures called "additional render appearance paths".

If the architect could give you a folder with all the missing textures (it's important that there are not in subfolders, just a single folder with all the textures), you could point Revit to that folder and Revit will go look in that folder for any missing texture files automatically. I think this might work well for what you're trying to do.

• Pieter - thanks for the explanation about the placing of materials and the downloading for Enscape. I don't program, so I figured there would be a better way for Enscape to track which materials were placed in a model and key other users machines to download as needed.

The "additional render appearance paths" method is what I have used, but I'm thinking that only works for Revit material browser textures? That is where the Lumion export plugin helps gather those into a single folder for sharing with others. I haven't really dug into the Enscape duplication of the material library yet and how those textures work/interface with Revit. I guess I'm getting old enough to be a bit more stubborn in my ways :/

Beyond the idea of making the same workflow across programs, I haven't figured out what the Enscape library advantages over the native Revit one are. I see that their library of materials is a little less dated than the standard Revit ones, but the functionality of the Revit material editor seems to have the same features so far (albeit with a few "quirky" workarounds and limitations for things like: displacement mapping, video textures, tinting, and procedural bump maps).

• The "additional render appearance paths" method is what I have used, but I'm thinking that only works for Revit material browser textures?

This feature works for all materials in my experience, whether or not they originated from the Autodesk material library.

I haven't really dug into the Enscape duplication of the material library yet and how those textures work/interface with Revit. I guess I'm getting old enough to be a bit more stubborn in my ways :/

It's quite simple really. When an enscape material is brought in from the library, two things happen:
    1) enscape creates a new revit material

2) enscape downloads the maps (if they aren't download already) and sets the paths in the revit material

So at the end of the day when an Enscape material is brought in in Revit, it's just another Revit material. There's not really anything special to them. It would be similar as if you would create them manual from scratch.

• Gotcha - so it really is just a different interface for the same functions (also brings another library of materials to import).

Then I think your plugin or the Lumion one to get the materials in a single folder from the architect and then TimAlsop just needs to use the additional render appearance paths to link to where ever he saves that folder. That should solve the problem fairly easily.