Field of View Conversion????

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Does anyone know where to find a handy chart that tells you the conversion of the field of view in Enscape as an mm lens?

The only thing I have found so far is on the Enscape website that 24mm is 67 degrees and 14.5mm is 90 degrees.

It would be nice to know what different mm lenses are in the degree equivalent (without doing any high-level math).

Would a 35mm lens be around 50 degrees?:/

• As another possible start, ARRI publishes their FOV (h) for each of their prime series lenses. The FOV is highly model and manufacturer specific so if you have a lens you're trying to match I'd start with a spec sheet. ie. the 40mm ARRI Signature Prime has a FOV (h) of 49.3 degrees while the 40mm ARRI Ultra Prime has a FOV (h) of 30.6 (for Normal 35 Academy), 33.2 (for DIN Super 35), or 34.7 (for ANSI Super 35). When I create a scene I like to use a set FOV (h) and pretend like I'm using the ARRI Signature Prime lenses to force a scene selection similar to how you might with a real camera/lens.

https://www.arri.com/en/camera…ure-prime-technical-data2

• You need to know the aspect ratio to which you are rendering to to calculate it - a 50mm lens on a Full Frame / 35mm camera with a 36:24 ratio render output is 40degrees in Enscape.

24mm Lens is roughly 50degrees in enscape with the same AR.

If you are using SketchUp you can use the camera sync ad the advanced camera tools to create real world camera equivalents

• The formula that it implements is FOV = 2 arctan (x / (2 f)), where x is the diagonal of the film. The FOV is measured across the frame's diagonal, and is therefore smaller across the horizonal dimension, and even smaller across the vertical dimension.