Using Advance OSL Shaders in SketchUp and Enscape

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hello,

Here after a workflow I've recently used to create realistic fake interiors within SketchUp and Enscape using wParallax and Shadersbox OSL shader.

Last thread on this matter opened by jtubb and now closed is Here

Below is a quick example modeled in SketchUp (2021) and then rendered in Enscape 3D.

The workflow used is as follows:

I use for this example some elements contained in the free downloadable package from wParallax (Here)

The elements used are:

A simple box in fbx format whose UVs are correctly prepared for this application (this is the wP_Box.fbx file)

One of the 6 textures of your choice in exr format delivered in the pack

Then, I use these files in Blender and Photoshop before exporting the textured box to SketchUp in Colada (.dae) format as follows:

1 - In Photoshop, open one of the 6 textures supplied in .exr format and then simply export this image as a PNG

2 - In Blender, in an empty page, import the cube (wP_Box.fbx) which is in FBX format. This cube has a central dividing wall and therefore has 7 faces.

3 - In Blender, go to the "Shading" workbench to apply a new material to this cube (which does not have any when imported)

4 - By default, Blender then applies a base material with a 'Principled BSDF' type node coupled at the output with a "Material Output" node and on the input side with a "Normal Map" node connected to the Normal slot

5 - Delete the "Normal Map" node

6 - Add an "Image texture" node

7 - Connect the Color slot of the "Image Texture" node to the "Emission" slot of the "BSDF" node

8 - Connect the Alpha slot of the "Image Texture" node to the "Alpha" slot of the "BSDF" node

9 - In the "BSDF" node force the "BaseColor" to Black

10 - Set to zero all the other values of the miscellaneous color parameters of the "BSDF" node

11 - In the "BSDF" node set the value of "Emission Strength" to 2 (can be adjusted if necessary later)

12 - In the "Image Texture" node, import one of the previously converted OSL textures in PNG format

Note 1: if we stay in Blender, the OSL shader texture can be used in the native EXR format

At the end of these operations, you can, in render mode (with Cycles or Eevee), observe this effect on the cube.

Note 2: If you use Eevee for rendering, you must remember to switch to the material properties palette, in the Settings tab, the Blend Mode in "Alpha Blend" mode

13 - Now simply export the cube (selected) in Colada format from Blender.

In the Colada export Settings panel, "Copy" must be ticked in the "Texture Options"

Note : If you don't find a copy of the texture where you have exported your Colada file, go back in Blender to the Shader Editor and add another connection between the "Image Texture" Color slot and the "BSDF" Color" input slot.

14 - In SketchUp, import the cube in the generated Colada format, to admire the result, all the inner parts of the cube are textured and the desired effect visible.

15 - Then open in sketchUp, the Enscape materials editor and check that the texture used in Blender is applied to the "Albedo" Map and the "Transparency" Map.

16 - Then, it remains to insert the cube in the desired place of a building model to exploit it and make a final rendering in Enscape.

17 - Save the Cube component obtained in SKP format in a personal library to be able to import it into other models later.

18 - Do this with the 6 textures provided free of charge by wParallax (Here) as well as with the 12 free textures provided by Shadersbox Starter Kit (here) to build your little library.

Below are some Blender screenshots to clarify my prose.

• Hello Adam.Fairclough

Not sure to well understand your comment. So have a look at my sketchUp test file. Download is available on this link HERE

What I mean is that this is not using anything beyond the normal enscape functions - this is a 3D scene.

A Parralax shader gives the impression of depth - but here you have actual depth.

Your thread suggests you are using OSL shaders within enscape, which you aren't

You have actual 3D geometry

Parralax Cube map.

It would need a neat thing if Enscape could support this in some form - it would be super handy

• OK Adam.Fairclough.

Sure, Open Shading Language (OSL) is not yet supported neither by SketchUp nor by Enscape.

Here I'm using Box Wrapping method to create that fake effect, without OSL support, just an unwrapped box and Parallax Maps are required.

If agreed, I can change the Tittle of the tread by something like "Box Wrapping method using Parallax Map in SketchUp and Enscape".

But not sure if it's possible from my side to change the tittle,

• Apologies if I sounded dismissive - it was just a shader is a specific thing.

I understand now that you've taken the time to write up how to convert those FBX versions to Collada as standard 3D geometry instead.

This is a nice way to get some lightweight scenery in the distance - very efficient.