Would prefer if this Forum did not include a "down vote" option, unless it is for management.

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I would prefer this forum did not include a "down vote" or "thumbs down" reaction option, except maybe to be used for the moderator/Enscape spokesman where it might be valuable. But to allow it for individuals doesn't seem productive. I just got a thumbs down and the last time that happened to me was on a "Daily Mail" comments section. I mean you can't even actually do that on twitter; the emoji must be part of a reply. I guess it could be included as an emoji within a comment, but as a simple "reaction" with no explanation, it seems like the wrong thing on a forum where people are trying to increase their skill level and trying to get information.

• Rick Marx

Approved the thread.
  • Have a look at the 3rd comment on this thread (mine) Graphics card requirements for Enscape are serious. Hard to understand.

At the bottom left there are 3 reactions, if you click on them you can see who posted what reaction.... See anyone familiar?

I personally have 5 dislike reactions to posts I've made, a couple are deserved and the others seem to 'me' to be slight overreactions but heyho that's ok, 5 dislikes out of nearly 600 posts is good going in a community as diverse as this. I probably offended more people on my way to work this morning with the shorts I'm wearing :)

• Official Post

now I'm curious. Those must be awesome shorts.

• I may be guilty of this. Pretty sure I have used the "dislike" as a way to agree with a problem being reported... But mainly as a way of watching the thread.

I am not aware of the reactions being considered a downvote in the way reddit uses that term.

I actually which there was an easy way to 'follow' without a reaction at all. Many times I want to follow a problem and none of the 'reactions' are appropriate.

• an easy way to 'follow' without a reaction at all

Top right of any post there's a little flag, you can click it to follow/unfollow a particular conversation

PS If you look at a person's/your profile (Click a persons avatar/icon) you can see all the reactions they've received/given ... you've never given (or received) a Dislike .... you goodie two shoes :) .... Thats almost worth a dislike there!

• It's no big deal having extended conversations under your own post (was just looking at the thread that Paul Russam linked - it's appropriate to ask a bunch of questions in that context.) The specific reason I put "thumbs down" and subsequently explained that I thought you were "spamming" the thread is because on a thread about the current release - there's really no reason to add complaining posts about not understanding ambient occlusion. I thought the thumbs down would be simpler than explaining all that and adding yet another off-topic post to that thread. I'm sorry you took such great offense to it, I will try and be kinder around your posts. Please also consider other people's time and attention when you go off-topic where it doesn't belong.

• Official Post

I would prefer this forum did not include a "down vote" or "thumbs down" reaction option, except maybe to be used for the moderator/Enscape spokesman where it might be valuable. But to allow it for individuals doesn't seem productive. I just got a thumbs down and the last time that happened to me was on a "Daily Mail" comments section. I mean you can't even actually do that on twitter; the emoji must be part of a reply. I guess it could be included as an emoji within a comment, but as a simple "reaction" with no explanation, it seems like the wrong thing on a forum where people are trying to increase their skill level and trying to get information.

Hi NoMasCorona , I was on vacation last week so I could not get back to you or this topic earlier personally.

Please allow me to state that I can completely understand your frustration and especially so if there is no further explanation alongside that negative feedback (the downvote) so to speak.

That being said, and please do not get this the wrong way, I would not take these reactions too seriously as they can also sometimes be given in the heat of the moment without one knowing the actual reason behind it.

Regarding the reason you got downvoted: The topic was about AO or Ambient occlusion and since you weren't able to find results right away to those terms explaining them, one of the users may have gotten frustrated (since it was technically becoming "off-topic"). In any case, whenever you do have any particular questions about any terms you haven't heard before, feel free to just create a dedicated thread in our "Feature Requests & Questions" section. This way we can reply back to you in that separate thread and a discussion can be had there. :)

I am also sure that no one here is out for any trouble or wants to cause any unease, it's just that sometimes different opinions and perspectives can clash which is also entirely normal, especially in an open Forum like this one. Again, I don't think anything should be taken too seriously here. Once it does get personal or insults are being used, we'll step in immediately of course.

Let me know if there is still anything you want to discuss of course, also gladly via a direct message privately instead.

• I would prefer this forum did not include a "down vote" or "thumbs down" reaction option, except maybe to be used for the moderator/Enscape spokesman where it might be valuable. But to allow it for individuals doesn't seem productive. I just got a thumbs down and the last time that happened to me was on a "Daily Mail" comments section. I mean you can't even actually do that on twitter; the emoji must be part of a reply. I guess it could be included as an emoji within a comment, but as a simple "reaction" with no explanation, it seems like the wrong thing on a forum where people are trying to increase their skill level and trying to get information.

Just arrived here but I agree. If it were like reddit where responses are 'up' or 'down' voted - up being best answer/content - OK. But having other forum members give a dislike is too much like rampant cancel culture today. I've been on between 50 to 100 forums over the years, and one thing is true everywhere you go: someone is going to answer a question you didn't even ask or give half baked answers. I've read a few posts/answer here and the small sample seems OK, but most forums are nothing but a dumpster fire and the only reason I log in is pure desperation - the last thing I'd need is someone negatively flagging my post. Next thing? Fact checking our posts and putting disclaimers on posts the horde has deem undesireable?

• Thanks for worrying about cancel culture, but this a closed, moderated forum. Not sure where you're getting your "dumpster fire" concerns from. Spend a minute here before weighing in with some slippery slope arguments.

What I said about cancel culture is a fact and nobody needs your passive aggressive "Thanks for worrying", but you just proved my point by not even bothering to read my post, wherein I said:

"I've read a few posts/answer here and the small sample seems OK, but most forums. . ."

e.g., "but most forums" meaning other than this one, but maybe you are causing me to rethink that.

And now you've taken the conversation in an entirely different direction than either the OP and I intended - you made it about me apparently because you like the "thumbs down" button (e.g., cancel culture) and didn't like what I said.

A 'Dumpster fire': If I write a long post to fully explain the problem most ppl go to sleep and don't bother to read or digest the information. If I write a short post ppl jump to all kinds of conclusions and answer questions I didn't even ask.

I'm here strictly out of desperation to get Enscape working again after my system crashed after a driver update (different post), and I tripped over the OP's thread. But, honestly if this is some private clubhouse where I need to know a special handshake just say the word and I won't bother you anymore.

Your moderator, Demian Gutberlet seems like a nice guy who wants to help, but I wish he just tell me how get my version of Enscape working again after my system crashed.

• Hi andybot.

As mentioned in my original post I was supporting the OP's position as I'm not a fan of the 'down vote'. That's it.

I think you get the drift from previous posts.

Summary: I hate anything that smacks of 'Mob Veto'. It's an insidious thing, and people visit forums to hang out with other like minded people and to get answers. Therefore, a down vote by anyone but the moderator is not a good thing. If you have a total assh*le ravaging the forum, it's the moderator's job to take care of it. I've seen once great forums taken over by a core group of jerks enforcing 'their' attitudes which made the forum unbearable. Up or down voting, unless it's handled like reddit (previously mentioned), is saying "we approve of you' or 'we don't approve you.'

Anyway, I'm wasting my time here. My original post on a different thread has got me no answers. I even called Germany. I'm really regretting buying this product. I'm done with this.

• So you haven't spent any meaningful time on this forum, are frustrated by your experience with the software & customer support, and now you decide you're wasting your time. Ah well, best of luck in your search for a place free of "mob veto" (amusing that you studiously avoided using the term cancel culture this time.) Glad you had a chance to flounce.

• I am also sure that no one here is out for any trouble or wants to cause any une

I'm not going to follow Paul Russam's thread in which he "investigated" me, but if it concerns the one time I disliked a comment by an Enscape owner about light reflections, I mentioned from the beginning I thought the down vote might apply to Enscape representatives just not to users. The problem on this forum doesn't just seem to be users like Russam but some of the moderators' unsophisticated replies, eg, talking about "why" I was downvoted instead which is no kind of response to my suggestion. In fact every time I look back on these comments I see something else more disturbing. I was very much involved in a forum for beta testing Corona plug in for Sketchup and never saw this kind of interaction from users or moderators, and otherwise have just had occasional presence on rendering forums.

• Brilliant post and helpful to read. Especially the part about forums being taken over by people enforcing attitudes which made the forum unbearable. Beautifully put. Sorry I didn't see this before, I really am, but I've been staying away.

• Let me know if there is still anything you want to discuss of course

Demian why did you put a "confused" reaction on my post to Kaj Burival? Can't you see he is responding to Russam's post in which Russam is "investigating" my past behavior? He might at least not have responded to it. An objectionable post by Russam which you missed or had no reaction to the first time around as well. Every time I look at this forum I see one more thing to be upset about. As far as I'm concerned teagueAMX's take on the forum (above) is right; sounds exactly like this forum.