Should I stay with Enscape?

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • eeblack Twinmotion will still be free for everyone except companies making over $1 milllion USD (as noted by jlo), and even then if you use Revit it will still be free since it comes with Revit subscriptions. So only people at large companies using Sketchup, Archicad, Rhino, or Vectorworks will be affected. Even then, the price of Twinmotion $445 USD is still less than the yearly fixed seat license price of $562.80 USD for Enscape. D5 is very similar to Twinmotion and is $360 USD a year. I don't know where Enscape gets off-charging the price they do for the program at this point, but obviously, people are paying for it.

• eeblack Twinmotion will still be free for everyone except companies making over $1 milllion USD (as noted by jlo), and even then if you use Revit it will still be free since it comes with Revit subscriptions. So only people at large companies using Sketchup, Archicad, Rhino, or Vectorworks will be affected. Even then, the price of Twinmotion $445 USD is still less then the yearly fixed seat license price of $562.80 USD for Enscape. D5 is running the same engine as twinmotion and is $360 USD a year. I don't know where Enscape gets off charging the price they do for the program at this point, but obviously people are paying for it.

It was not apparent from the main news page announcing the new licensing scheme, but under the FAQ section it does confirm that it will continue to be free for the AEC (Revit) Collection subscribers. Thank you for pointing that out.

• I've renewed for another year from February so I have an overlap for file access etc while I move to new software, but I was hoping 4.0 would convince me to remain with Enscape as it's always easier to stick with what you know. However, the 4.0 update has brought me nothing but problems, this is due to Enscape's vegetation assets being so limited therefore I have to use Sketchup models, and in large garden projects with maybe 50 or so plant varieties and hundreds of each instance, to lose the "Save as external model for Enscape" is a disaster - I can no longer render video walk throughs - TWO days to render a 30 second clip in standard HD with an Nvidia 4090 GPU! If Enscape doesn't have speed then it's utterly redundant.

• to lose the "Save as external model for Enscape" is a disaster

**Hopefully this is restored soon. Thanks Paul Russam for development info. Maybe they might even fix items from several versions ago... (ehem, no material selected by default.)**

Wait, WHAT!?!? Why on earth was that context click option taken away? Why does it seem that every new release brings some worsening of the user interface?

• Disclaimer: Day #1 Enscape adopter / first-time post(er) at least in this thread

Clearly (?) there appear to be two skews in the Enscape user community - essentially requiring (demanding?) two distinct SKUs...

1. those who want/need/require a fast-to-act (symbiotic) real-time renderer to compliment their authoring tool of choice

2. those who want/need/requie a fast-to-act (detached) real-time renderer to prettify outputs from their authoring tool of choice

I think/feel the bold text above is really what Enscape/Chaos need to be juggling - and probably are - during this prolonged transition of ownership/managment.

Does Enscape get assimilated by vray?

Does vray yoink Enscape's lucky charms?

It's all a bit too much of nothing for me to worry about on the day-to-day,

even when I consider how many hundreds of hours I've invested in Enscape... let's all just wait and see (and/or vote with our feet/wallets) no?

Personally (?) I am quite content with waiting things out (being firmly setup in camp #1) before getting knicker-twisted that a sub-£1Kpa tool is not the all-things-to-all-peoples viz. tool some posters have been making out in this thread.

But yes, let's all agree on* matters of stability, "dropped" features & beta-status functionality per-release - being of a genuine, universal concern.

+ getting better pre-launch documentation to forewarn/highlight changes (I'm looking at you DLSS - and how junk you makes things look)

• Just FYI for anyone whos on the fence about deciding which program to go with.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This next D5 update(which is out now) is going to blow Enscape out of the water.

Enscapes response-> submit it to our voting portal.

• Wow! Nothing is getting close to that!

• Latest Ideas & Requests topics - D5 RENDER FORUM

D5 have one of the most clear and open roadmaps that I have seen and their team actually listens to their users!!!

Adding new features with every update as per their roadmap.

I have not seen any software evolving more faster then D5 to be honest.

• I’ve just rendered 160 panoramas, they are for a pano tour in which the user can choose floor, door, worktops: https://www.tours.blockcpm.stu…aidwater-kitchenvis/tour/

Every different element has its own tag in SU and each scene has a different combination of tags. Once rendered I then mask and crop out the individual parts (I use Affinity Designer for this) to use as overlays in the pano tour.

Other than Enscape I know of no other renderer (D5, TwinMotion etc) that even support SU tags let alone enable them to be turned on/off per view/pano.

Additionally, yesterday I rendered a series of street views for an other project, I was able to hide/show specific trees per scene (if they were in the way), I don’t believe that is possible in other renderers.

D5 do a very good job of pitching their considerable feature set but if you can’t hide/show objects/tags it’s completely useless to me, it’s like advertising a Bugatti’s 200mph capability to 20mph city drivers …. Apealling but useless.

• Paul Russam That's because form the start your process is set up to cater to Enscape's workflow. That's like following the steps to change the oil on a Toyota Camry when the car in front of your a is Porsche 911; and then getting mad at the 911 because the engine dies 5 minutes after driving it without oil because your oil change wasn't done correctly.

D5 works off a proxy system much like the one Enscape has in Sketchup only (for some dumb reason). Create the trees/cars/assets you want in their own sketchup files, then import them as assets into D5 and create the layers(tags) or groups in D5 and turn them on or off as your please. It takes time to adjust to the process but that isn't a valid criticism of D5, it just shows a unwillingness to adapt. I especially like this system because it keeps my Sketchup file sizes low, allowing me to put more detail into the file without it running into performance issues.

If you don't want to adapt I completely understand because it is a time commitment and takes some relearning but if the only factor that's a con about D5 (its cheaper, more feature rich, less buggy, more settings, working video editor, Ect.) is that it has a learning curve that you don't want to tackle I don't find your argument convincing.

• I'm not talking about material changes, only assets visibility. For material/model changes you would use the D5 livesync to Sketchup and change the visibility of the materials/door handles as you would similar to Enscape. The process isn't exactly 1:1 with Enscape, but all the features D5 has(plus cheaper) that Enscape is missing outweighs clicking a extra button once or twice.