Alternative VR HMD's (Head mounted Displays)

• Has anyone tried any headsets other than the Vive and Oculus. I currently use the Pimax 4k, the only 4k headset so far. Software is iffy, But with a little elbow grease works like a champ. Anyone tried mobile VR on enscape either. P.S. The experience is far more immersive without the Screen door effect.

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/com…c-vive-vs-oculus-cv1/1989

Check it out, if anyone is interested. And no I have no affiliation with PIMAX just want to get a feel for what other persons experiences have been like.

Pierre

• Of course, other HMDs would be nice and interesting. But we're trying to focus our development into things that help the majority of Enscape users. Therefore, supporting an HMD that nobody owns is not an option. And both Oculus and HTC are planning new releases with higher resolutions too, so that problem will vanish.

• Hi Thomas,

I was wondering - with the imminent release of a number of Windows 10 based HMDs (Dell/HP/Asus/Acer/Lenovo) will you still be focusing your support on Oculus/HTC?

From what I understand of early reviews, the Windows based HMDs could be easier and more portable friendly to setup and run content on - not to mention more cost effective where multiple users are required. Something that I can see being an advantage for the construction and architectural industry over Oculus/HTC current HMDs.

Karam

• Hi Pierre,

thank you for bring the PImax in focus here. I have seen it for a while and the 4K displays catch my interest too. Since I'm not sure the software works well I'm waiting to see 4k versions of Oculus/HTC. But maybe I'm wrong. Do you use Enscape together with PImax? If yes, could you post a little step-by-step tutorial how you got it working?

Maybe the Enscape team could support this VR device since the 4K display is a great feature and the price is low. There is no 4k alternative, if I understand right.

• Micha The displays of the Pimax have been tested as not suitable for HMDs as they are too slow. If you're turning your head or walk through a model, there seems to be a lot of motion blur. And the higher resolution requires an even better workstation to avoid motion sickness due low FPS and blurry images

• I was just about to ask the same question. Our office is looking at buying a second headset and debating whether to try one of the new Windows 10 headsets (most likely the Samsung Odyssey since it has the best specs) or potentially dabble with the upcoming Pimax 8k headset (kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/pr…orlds-first-8k-vr-headset).

While it's true there will be newer versions of the Oculus and Vive eventually, they're still a long ways off (Oculus has said it will be at least another two years before they release the CV2, which is a long time to wait!) No doubt they'll be incredible when they come out, but in the meantime there are a number of alternatives starting to crop up, some of which offer significant upgrades to resolution. For instance the Samsung Odssey coming out in November has close to double the resolution of the Rift/Vive, and eliminates the need for external camera sensors.

And the new Pimax headset has been tested and shown to perform quite well - I think you might be referring to older versions of the headset Jonathan. The kickstarter has passed a million dollars, so there's clearly a lot of interest out there in pushing the boundaries (almost 4 times the resolution of the Rift/Vive and double the field of view!)

Now part of the issue with these higher spec headsets is that you obviously need to drive more pixels, not to mention cover a wider field of view in the case of the Pimax, which can really tax performance. As far as I know, none of them are supporting foveated rendering either, which is really necessary to improve performance. That would be the big question - it's one thing to have beautiful high resolution displays, but if Enscape and other applications can't drive enough pixels, you won't get the full benefit of the display.

That said, given the number of Windows 10 headset coming up, it would seem reasonable for Enscape to support the Windows 10 mixed reality platform.