Issues with Translucent Glass Light Transference

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • I am using translucent wall panel and skylights in my project. Enscape can render the panel correctly (blurs anything beyond), but there is no diffusion of light. As you can see in the first image, the mullions are visible on the ground. However the light should be diffused like the second image. Any help?

• Transparent objects and materials are not changing light scattering through. This is caused by our real-time rendering optimizations.

I would recommend to change the external light as explained by Gadget. E.g. you could use the "White Background" as well.

• I still don't quite understand why Enscape can't have translucent glass. As an architect, we use translucent skylights / wall panels quite often. What if the design calls for an alternating pattern of translucent and clear gIass? Or what if there are translucent skylights and clear windows in the same room?

The above solution will only allow me to render the glass one way or the other. It would be nice to have this functionality for both rendering and real-time walkthroughs. Thanks again for the work around.

• Some tips I have found when working with glass:

1) every surface has 2 sides; If only one side is translucent then you can only see through that side. You may be able to see through one side, but light will only pass through the surface if both sides are translucent. You can use this to your advantage (if you don't need to see out) and make the inner surface an emissive material that will 'glow'. (An alternate solution is to add an Escape object | Rectangular light)

2) Coloured surfaces will tint what you see when looking through them: They will not tint the light passing through them. However you can use the above tricks and tint the emissive internal material/light source to throw a colour out from the surface. (You cannot have a surface that is both emissive and transparent)

3) The more white in the fill of the glass (the 'lighter' it is), then the more 'milky' and noticeable the glass will be: Using a darker glass will let you see inside a bit clearer.

4) If the [_] Transparency check is ticked in the materials, then nothing will change the light coming in through the surface: adding in a texture, the opacity, tint colour, refractive index or frosted glass tic will only change looking in through the glass, not light coming in through the glass. However if you use a texture transparency without the main tic box being checked, then it will throw shadows. If you don't have line-of-sight on the opening then you can use this to produce diffused shadows (Note that the transparency mask is a simple black and white - no shades of grey; you have to be clever with the texture and it's scale.)

5) The [_] Frosted glass check will blur what is seen through it and cannot be applied in conjunction with a textured transparency and is either on or off. You can use a Bump to produce a similar effect with a bit more control (this can be used in conjunction with frosting the glass.)