Enscape menus extremely slow and lagging since 3.4

• Since updating to 3.4 Enscape has become noticeably laggier and slower. To a point that it's become impossible to have a smooth workflow.

Using 3.4 with SketchUp 2020, GTX1070 8 GB and 16 GB of RAM.

The problem is not in the renderer or the viewport, but the menus, especially the Material Editor menu. Whenever I click through different materials, it freezes for about 5 seconds and I have to wait for it to catch up with my clicks. Increasing/decreasing Height map or Reflections has become a struggle to. I can't use the sliders anymore because it just lags very badly. I have to click into the number value box to input a number, but even clicking there it lags.

Tried updating my Graphic Card, made sure that Windows is up to date too. Nothing seems to help.

It happens in every file, regardless of size, complexity or presence of Asset library models. Everywhere the same laggy menus. My materials are the same they have been since before 3.4 - 4K JPG maps, so I don't believe they're the culprit either.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Can this be because I'm using SketchUp 2020? Should I consider upgrading to 2022?

Thanks in advance.

• Update: Did some more testing and experiments.

Please watch the attached short video. This lag/freeze appears only when I click on materials that have maps applied to them. The materials that don't have Albedo, Normal or Roughness maps (the first 2 on the list, for example) are working smoothly. As you can see, when I click through them, they respond immediately. But the other materials take some 5 seconds to respond.

Screencap.mp4

• Pardon me ViggoPaulman for the delay, I'm here to assist you now.

Right away, just so we're on the same page, could you kindly acquire and install our very latest release 3.4.2? Just in case you haven't already of course - If that makes no difference, can you also alongside let me know how large in terms of megabytes the 4k textures used are? Maybe you know the amount of 4k textures in total (roughly estimated)? Does it help if you (temporarily for testing purposes) replace the 4k textures by importing 2k or even lower resolution textures instead? Again, just for troubleshooting and if you aren't extremely short on time.

Furthermore, perhaps there may be a chance again for you to package this scene and sent it over as you did before regarding the sun-shadows problem we talked about? :)

Also, it should not be related to using SU 2020 instead of 2022, but I can also test that here on my machine with both versions.

Last but not least, already please also submit us a feedback report with your logs and feel free to mention my name in it so that my colleagues can assign the created case to me right away.

Thank you in advance, I always appreciate your cooperation, and in this case also your patience!

• Hello Demian!

As always, appreciate your dedication and the effort you put forward. The day is coming to an end, so if it's ok, I can test out the solutions you suggested and get back here with another reply tomorrow. Until tomorrow!

• Hi Demian Gutberlet!

Apologies for my late reply, the week has been crazy but I've finally found some time to run more tests. Please see below.

could you kindly acquire and install our very latest release

Already running the latest version.

how large in terms of megabytes the 4k textures used are?

We are using the Quixel Megascan textures. The 4K JPGs have diverse file sizes. Here are some highlighted examples to give you a rough idea:

Maybe you know the amount of 4k textures in total (roughly estimated)?

Ranging between 10 and 15 in this particular project. However, the lag I'm facing happens even if there are as few as 2 textures in a model.

Does it help if you (temporarily for testing purposes) replace the 4k textures by importing 2k or even lower resolution textures instead?

Actually, yes it does. This is what I tested today. I replaced some of the textures with 2K equivalents and clicking between them, they respond within a second, while clicking between other 4K textures, it takes up to 5 seconds to respond.

I'm wondering if I'm the only person who reported this problem, or if you received more reports of similar kind?

Is this lag coming from the fact that my GTX 1070 is no longer considered a "top" model?

Thanks for your input. Will be looking forward to your reply.

Best,

Viggo