Enscape menus extremely slow and lagging since 3.4

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Since updating to 3.4 Enscape has become noticeably laggier and slower. To a point that it's become impossible to have a smooth workflow.

Using 3.4 with SketchUp 2020, GTX1070 8 GB and 16 GB of RAM.

The problem is not in the renderer or the viewport, but the menus, especially the Material Editor menu. Whenever I click through different materials, it freezes for about 5 seconds and I have to wait for it to catch up with my clicks. Increasing/decreasing Height map or Reflections has become a struggle to. I can't use the sliders anymore because it just lags very badly. I have to click into the number value box to input a number, but even clicking there it lags.

Tried updating my Graphic Card, made sure that Windows is up to date too. Nothing seems to help.

It happens in every file, regardless of size, complexity or presence of Asset library models. Everywhere the same laggy menus. My materials are the same they have been since before 3.4 - 4K JPG maps, so I don't believe they're the culprit either.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Can this be because I'm using SketchUp 2020? Should I consider upgrading to 2022?

Thanks in advance.

• Update: Did some more testing and experiments.

Please watch the attached short video. This lag/freeze appears only when I click on materials that have maps applied to them. The materials that don't have Albedo, Normal or Roughness maps (the first 2 on the list, for example) are working smoothly. As you can see, when I click through them, they respond immediately. But the other materials take some 5 seconds to respond.

Screencap.mp4

• Official Post

Pardon me ViggoPaulman for the delay, I'm here to assist you now.

Right away, just so we're on the same page, could you kindly acquire and install our very latest release 3.4.2? Just in case you haven't already of course - If that makes no difference, can you also alongside let me know how large in terms of megabytes the 4k textures used are? Maybe you know the amount of 4k textures in total (roughly estimated)? Does it help if you (temporarily for testing purposes) replace the 4k textures by importing 2k or even lower resolution textures instead? Again, just for troubleshooting and if you aren't extremely short on time.

Furthermore, perhaps there may be a chance again for you to package this scene and sent it over as you did before regarding the sun-shadows problem we talked about? :)

Also, it should not be related to using SU 2020 instead of 2022, but I can also test that here on my machine with both versions.

Last but not least, already please also submit us a feedback report with your logs and feel free to mention my name in it so that my colleagues can assign the created case to me right away.

Thank you in advance, I always appreciate your cooperation, and in this case also your patience!

• Hello Demian!

As always, appreciate your dedication and the effort you put forward. The day is coming to an end, so if it's ok, I can test out the solutions you suggested and get back here with another reply tomorrow. Until tomorrow!

• Hi Demian Gutberlet!

Apologies for my late reply, the week has been crazy but I've finally found some time to run more tests. Please see below.

could you kindly acquire and install our very latest release

Already running the latest version.

how large in terms of megabytes the 4k textures used are?

We are using the Quixel Megascan textures. The 4K JPGs have diverse file sizes. Here are some highlighted examples to give you a rough idea:

Maybe you know the amount of 4k textures in total (roughly estimated)?

Ranging between 10 and 15 in this particular project. However, the lag I'm facing happens even if there are as few as 2 textures in a model.

Does it help if you (temporarily for testing purposes) replace the 4k textures by importing 2k or even lower resolution textures instead?

Actually, yes it does. This is what I tested today. I replaced some of the textures with 2K equivalents and clicking between them, they respond within a second, while clicking between other 4K textures, it takes up to 5 seconds to respond.

I'm wondering if I'm the only person who reported this problem, or if you received more reports of similar kind?

Is this lag coming from the fact that my GTX 1070 is no longer considered a "top" model?

Thanks for your input. Will be looking forward to your reply.

Best,

Viggo

• ViggoPaulman I have the same issue. The material editor lags when using high quality textures and it made it impossible for me to work. Unfortunately I had to go back to version 3.3 where everything works fine.

Demian Gutberlet, is this being taken care of in the next updates?

Hey Vlad! Did you have the 3.5 version before? This seems to be a resolution problem. 4K textures (3840x3840 ore more) take a long time to process.

• Hey Vlad! Did you have the 3.5 version before? This seems to be a resolution problem. 4K textures (3840x3840 ore more) take a long time to process.

Yes, I installed 3.4 (it had slow loading of the 3d model) then I installed 3.5 and the material editor was just freezing when adjusting reflections or just moving the sliders. I understand it has issues with 4k or larger textures but I can't use low res textures just to make the program work. So I downgraded to 3.3 where I can use 8K textures with no problem.

• Official Post

Yes, I installed 3.4 (it had slow loading of the 3d model) then I installed 3.5 and the material editor was just freezing when adjusting reflections or just moving the sliders. I understand it has issues with 4k or larger textures but I can't use low res textures just to make the program work. So I downgraded to 3.3 where I can use 8K textures with no problem.

I've discussed this with our developers and at least updating from 3.4 to 3.5 should not cause such bad lag/freezing as you detail. In that case we want to investigate the cause behind this further, and as usual the first thing we have to request is a dedicated feedback report:

https://learn.enscape3d.com/bl…sing-the-feedback-button/

If you could just let me know once you've submitted it I can directly forward the further info to our devs. Should there be a chance to also share one of the affected scene with me feel free to do so too (I can provide a confidential upload link as well if required).

ViggoPaulman , my dear apologies for not getting back to you after the delayed post of yours - To answer your question even if a bit late, the 1070 despite having 8GB of VRAM which still makes it relevant for Enscape is so to speak kind of outdated at this point given that NVIDIA already released their 4xxx series.

Thus experiencing some lag when dealing with 4k+ textures should be normal, but you can also gladly submit a report too so that we can at least check if everything is going accordingly based on the logs and such.

• Official Post

Thank you Demian Gutberlet , I just sent the feedback report.

I can send you the skp file also. Send me the upload link please.

It's a simple 3d model of a house. There are 2 textures. One is 4k, the other is 6k.

Did you perchance use a different e-mail to submit the report (different to the forum)?

If so, just sharing that one via a direct message briefly would be great so I can directly assign the report to myself. In case this occurs in any scene with larger textures anyway, then for now there is no need to share the scene, I'll get back to that if required after analyzing the report and such.

• Official Post

I have seen the same issues as reported by Vlad and Viggo. Many of our textures are on Box (a similar service as dropbox), but we had no issues before 3.4.

Thank you Pieter. We'll investigate further. I'll reach out should I require more information from you.

• Demian Gutberlet

Perhaps also relevant, when I click on the 'dot dot dot' menu next to the material name (to export/import materials), it sometimes hangs for 10+ seconds before the menu opens.

I second this. We have started using Enscape's feature to package textures, so we can reuse the .matpkg files in other projects and 99% of the time after clicking on the ellipsis symbol the window goes into non responding mode, then the pop-up comes for half a second and then disappears.

Pieter what helps me is click the ellipsis symbol and HOLD the click until the pop-up window appears. Sometimes it helps.

Demian Gutberlet thank you for your dedicated work!

• Official Post

Thank you all very much for your patience.

After our developers had a look at this they state that this has to do with the fact that we have to write the textures of SketchUp materials to disk before sending them to Enscape and there are operations we depend on that can take a long time, especially with larger textures.

In this case, even though I very much so understand that this will take some additional work, we highly reccomend down-scaling ideally any textures which are larger than 4k in resolution before importing them via the material editor. They are going to be down-scaled to that resolution anyway so you are not missing out on extra detail.

Doing so should help with the long delay or even hangups as we also assume that performance decreases exponentially with texture size. In the project from Vlad, the material also included a cutout texture with the same high resolution, which doubled the processing time in this case.

If that does not resolve these problems here, please let me know and we'll investigate further.

• I don't understand a few things:

1. If the textures are downscaled anyway, as you said, why do we have to downscale manually before using the textures?

3. If Enscape downscales the textures then shouldn't it work fine with any texture we use?

4. If I use smaller textures, the material editor is still slow and unresponsive when changing parameters.

5. Why wasn't this an issue in version 3.3?

• Official Post

I don't understand a few things:

1. If the textures are downscaled anyway, as you said, why do we have to downscale manually before using the textures?

3. If Enscape downscales the textures then shouldn't it work fine with any texture we use?

4. If I use smaller textures, the material editor is still slow and unresponsive when changing parameters.

5. Why wasn't this an issue in version 3.3?

Allow me to answer those questions:

1.+2.: My apologies for the confusion, what I said wasn't quite true when it comes to every texture being downscaled automatically. Instead, Enscape will evaluate the usage of the textures in the scene and depending on the needed scale will also allow textures up to 16k.

But, if you edit a material in the Material Editor itself, then the complete material with unscaled textures is transferred to the renderer instead. This is where and why performance problems mainly can occur, and hence why we still mostly reccomend not having too many high-res textures in the scene if it can be avoided.

3.: Because I haven't been able to reproduce this myself yet: With "smaller textures" do you refer to 4k files only in this case, or even smaller sized textures like 1080p or below seem to cause stuttering/delays?

4. To get a bit more technical: With 3.4 we have rebuilt the Sketchup plugin to a large extent so that we have a uniform interface between Renderer+UI and all CAD plugins. In the past, the textures from the Sketchup materials were written to the disk using functions in the Sketchup SDK.

From 3.4 and onward we do that ourselves for all CADs that use bitmap textures like Sketchup, e.g. Vectorworks. This in turn can contribute to that added delay.

Thank you again for any further reply and your cooperation, especially when it comes to issue 3.

One final thing to add for the time being:

When making adjustments to your materials via the editor you can temporarily disable our Live Updates, to then enable again afterward. This should at least circumvent constant loading times when using larger textures especially.