Enscape menus extremely slow and lagging since 3.4

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hello Demian and Vlad!

Glad to hear this problem is being addressed. I'd like to share my own thoughts to clarify on the issue.

Demian Gutberlet, the issue persists since 3.3 regardless of the texture resolution. By that I mean, if the texture is 4K, there is a noticeable lag of 5-8 seconds before the window responds. You remember you told me to downscale the textures in a previous post? I did (1920x1920) but the lag merely became shorter (around 1-2 seconds). So I believe, the issue is not necessarily the resolution of the texture but the changed workflow that you mentioned in your recent post. Please mind this happens on a powerful work machine with RTX3090 24GB and 32 GB RAM.

I have a relatively weaker PC back at home (GTX1070 8 GB and 16GB RAM), but the lag times are more or less identical on both machines.

That being said, unfortunately I can't allow myself to reduce the resolution of textures. At the company I work at (furniture production), we often produce close-up/macro renderings of wooden furniture and we need as much resolution as we can afford. 4K does the job pretty well but if I reduce the size to 2K, the close-up renders become blurry and you can see pixels in the textures.

What does help, is closing the Enscape window and then making changes to the textures. The downside of this is that you don't see the result until you reopen it.

Is there any hope that this problem will be completely eliminated in a future version? As you can see, Vlad Moldovan has resorted to downgrading to 3.3 which is already 2 releases behind the current version/updates. I am on 3.4 and I'm still patient but then again, I also can't move forward to 3.5 because of the transparency bug from one of my previous posts. So essentially we are stuck on old versions because of different problems. Would appreciate any input from you. Thank you again!

• 4. To get a bit more technical: With 3.4 we have rebuilt the Sketchup plugin to a large extent so that we have a uniform interface between Renderer+UI and all CAD plugins. In the past, the textures from the Sketchup materials were written to the disk using functions in the Sketchup SDK.

From 3.4 and onward we do that ourselves for all CADs that use bitmap textures like Sketchup, e.g. Vectorworks. This in turn can contribute to that added delay.

Does this also apply to Revit? Because we saw a noticeable performance decrease of the material editor since 3.4 in Revit as well. I filed a few bug reports about this but none of them went anywhere (supposedly not reproduceable). But I've read so many accounts of the same problem on this forum, that I'm pretty sure the issue was with whatever changed in 3.4 and not user error. We didn't suddenly start using all 4k textures since 3.4. In fact, if we open the same models in 3.3 or lower, the material editor is noticeable faster.

• Official Post

Does this also apply to Revit? Because we saw a noticeable performance decrease of the material editor since 3.4 in Revit as well. I filed a few bug reports about this but none of them went anywhere (supposedly not reproduceable). But I've read so many accounts of the same problem on this forum, that I'm pretty sure the issue was with whatever changed in 3.4 and not user error. We didn't suddenly start using all 4k textures since 3.4. In fact, if we open the same models in 3.3 or lower, the material editor is noticeable faster.

This does apply to Revit but similar adjustments were already implemented with 3.0, so newer versions still shouldn't cause such issues - I hope I wasn't missing anything but if you could check your DM's as well for my still open questions then that would be great, even though I fully understand that these steps may take some time.

I appreciate you sending the sample scene over as requested - I'll keep in touch with our corresponding developers regarding this behavior to also forward your feedback, and I'll get back to you again as well soon.