Using Shift+U/I or Ctrl+U/I to adjust the angle of sunlight can not be saved.

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
    • Official Post

Hey tas_1985 , thank you very much for your submission, but this actually not a bug.

The sun offset which can be defined via the shortcuts Shift+U/I and Ctrl+U/I, is not being saved into the corresponding view by design, because we want to keep the altitude of the sun synchronized between Enscape and its main CAD software.

If you were to set a Geo-Location in SketchUp for example, the sun path would be according to the location selected, but if you change the offset, then that is not the case anymore, as the path gets altered - so saving these offset adjustments in views could also cause some confusion.

Still, if you like to see this functionality implemented into Enscape, please let me know.

• In some cases, the sun's position and shading angle are not ideal, so we need to adjust the angle ourselves, and we want it to be preserved so that it doesn't need to be adjusted again next time.

• Official Post

Jorgensen and tas_1985 , thank you for your feedback. I've filed a feature request which if implemented would allow you to save the solar angle and rotation in views as well. :)

• That could be just great enough to have a setting next to the star, to "update the view/sun setting" or to ask to go back to the cad software setting.

I would suggest something as Sketchup (view update and a choice to set the sun with the view)

• As a baseline, everything that can be manipulated and set manually should be assigned a numeric/bar value that can be saved and reused in the future. It's frustrating to have to go back and waste time figuring out the angle by the way it looks on the screen, would make it more user friendly to have all values organized and visible somewhere. If you want to keep the sync available, just add a reset to default next to the value to cover that end.

• Official Post

As a baseline, everything that can be manipulated and set manually should be assigned a numeric/bar value that can be saved and reused in the future. It's frustrating to have to go back and waste time figuring out the angle by the way it looks on the screen, would make it more user friendly to have all values organized and visible somewhere. If you want to keep the sync available, just add a reset to default next to the value to cover that end.

I will forward your feedback, thanks a bunch. Also, a warm welcome to our forum!

• I'm finding myself struggling with the exact same issue. Being able to save the sun position with the exact tweaked values might be awesome. Please implement this feature :) Everyone doing visualisations knows that shadows don't have to be 100 % accurate with the real world, it's about setting a mood and communicating a message. I'm doing revisions on a visualization at the moment and I'm not able to reconstruct the shadows like in the old picture, which is a bit of a pity. Would be awesome if we could get this in the future :)

• Official Post

I'm finding myself struggling with the exact same issue. Being able to save the sun position with the exact tweaked values might be awesome. Please implement this feature :) Everyone doing visualisations knows that shadows don't have to be 100 % accurate with the real world, it's about setting a mood and communicating a message. I'm doing revisions on a visualization at the moment and I'm not able to reconstruct the shadows like in the old picture, which is a bit of a pity. Would be awesome if we could get this in the future :)

Thanks a lot, I'll gladly forward your feedback and discuss this once more internally. :)

• Yeah we have the same problem.

This is a big problem for reproducible renders. A user will tweak the sun angle perfectly, but there's no way to save so we can rerender the same shot when the design updates.

Also, not only should we be able to save it, but also update is later. Right now we can save camera position and time of day, but there is no way to update it. We have to create a new view every time.

• having just +1'ed that, a co-worker came up with a good idea....(for sketchup)

load your "correctly oriented" model into a new blank sketchup file and save it as (rotated) then rotate your model 180 degrees

and in that file, only set camera views with date and time... do not modify the base model here.

what do you think?

• OK.. just tried this idea, for the most part it worked... BUT, when i modified some of the base model materials and reloaded it

the material changes did not update... it kept the initial material definitions...

now i dont know if i deleted, and purge the file and re-import the base model will the updated materials come in?....

i might have to try that.

• Official Post

Thank you everyone for the further upvotes - I'm afraid for now this is not yet implemented, but this will be brought up again for discussion by our product management team.