Blurred textures in enscape

• I use a large aerial photo texture on a terrain model.

In sketchup the texture looks ok crisp, but it gets quite blurry in enscape.

I have checked the material in the Enscape Material, and it looks as it should.

Is there a max size for textures? As I remember there was plenty of free god memory.

Jorgensen

• Jorgensen , there is indeed a texture size limit in Enscape. A workaround would be to split your terrain and texture in four parts and assign everything accordingly. You should be able to achieve a much better output this way. :)

• I was sure that it was SU had a limit on imported image size; I've had to split architectural floor plans before because they came in too blurry to read the dimensions - If you have found a workaround for that it would be handy :)

• is there any way to increase the size limit? i often use textures of much higher resolution, and have wondered why they came out blurry (most arroway textures are much more detailed, and cover large areas), and in 4k+ images i would love to preserve the "chrispness" :-) i know i have a ram-buffer to take into account, but mine is quite large ;-)

• Hmmm... according to my googlefu;

There is an option: Window | Preferences | OpenGL | [_] Use maximum texture size but it is said to slow SU and you might have to find the settings in the OpenGL bit of Window Settings to make sure it's enabled.

However from what I am reading SU does store the image in the native resolution, it just re-sizes it when displaying... which means that Enscape might be able to give a higher resolution than you actually see in SU.

• Hmmm... according to my googlefu;

There is an option: Window | Preferences | OpenGL | [_] Use maximum texture size but it is said to slow SU and you might have to find the settings in the OpenGL bit of Window Settings to make sure it's enabled.

However from what I am reading SU does store the image in the native resolution, it just re-sizes it when displaying... which means that Enscape might be able to give a higher resolution than you actually see in SU.

I always use "maximum texture size" in sketchup, and if your graphics card has enough memory, it should not be a big problem :-) i have never experienced any major slowdowns on very large models on my 1080ti (or 980 ti before that), and having detailed textures is essential in archwiz work :-)

although Ii often down-sample my textures in photoshop to keep the textures smaller in file-size without reducing the resolution. Save them as jpg's with a quality around 9-10 instead of the maximum 12... it reduces size more than 60% :-) (and much, much more if they were originally png's)

• Jorgensen , the size limit is 2048x2048 pixels. I hope that helps!

I understand the need of a limit for the light users. It would be nice if an advanced "workaround" would allow to set higher resolutions. I think on a keyword in the material or texture name. I would prefer the material name. Or a general simple ini file option. User with 11GB cards should be able to use bigger textures than 2GB card users.

General I ask me why should be an uneditable 2048x2048 limit a good solution? Some users are using only a few high res textures at a scene and will not touch the GPU memory limit and other user could use hundred of 2048 textures and the memory is to small. I'm sure the most render engines allow to edit limits like this.

• Your voices are being heard. I've filed a feature request to either increase our texture size limit in general, or alternatively/additionally add the ability to do so manually.

Thank you for all the constructive feedback guys. ;)

• Hi!

My photo textures in Enscape renders blurry, but they look fine in Revit. Is it a setting in Enscape that can fix this?

Enscape

Revit

I have tried a lot of different settings in Enscape and I can get more contrast in the terrain texture but I can’t get the fine details that you can see in the Revit terrain texture.

I can’t use the Revit render because the water looks horrible! and I do not want the Enscape render with low texture detail…:/

Thanks’

:)
  • Hi

Thank you for the link Micha! (And sorry that I did not use the search function in this forum)..

The terrain image of the island alone is 2364x5461 pixels and I have cut this image in six parts (1182x1820 pixels) to stay below the Enscape size limit of 2048x2048 pixels. Does someone know how I can split the terrain exactly on the right places and right sizes so that it matches my six new texture images?

The terrain model is much larger than what shows in my picture and the image texture of the entire model is 15.685 x 19.789 pixels.

• Hi

No, that is a standard Revit ocean water.

From large distance, the Enscape water renders with repeating pattern but I still
    think it looks much better than how Revit renders the water. As you said, I believe
    that repeating pattern is one of the challenges for an architecture rendering software :S