RTX 4080/4090 vs RTX A5000

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • There aren't a lot of benchmarks comparing the two. How does the RTX 4080/4090 compare to the RTX A5000? They both are 24GB. It's not the Quadro version of the A5000, but this is an option in the configuration for the Dell Precision 7920T, 7820, 5820 towers. Some benchmarks seem to rate the 4090 a lot higher... Thanks!

• The RTX "A" series is basically the Quadro replacement. Not sure why they dropped the branding, it just makes things more confusing. The A5000 is an older architecture than the 4090. This PassMark chart puts it in the neighborhood of a 3070. Generally the Geforce/gaming cards are going to perform better and cost less than a comparable "Quadro" for things like Enscape.

• Save $400 and get the 4080. The 4090 is faster but not faster than being sloppy and doing something twice. You'll save more time being thoughtful and doing something less. Invest the $400.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/…vidia-RTX-4080/4136vs4138

• The RTX "A" series is basically the Quadro replacement. Not sure why they dropped the branding, it just makes things more confusing. The A5000 is an older architecture than the 4090. This PassMark chart puts it in the neighborhood of a 3070. Generally the Geforce/gaming cards are going to perform better and cost less than a comparable "Quadro" for things like Enscape.

Thanks that helps clarify things!

• Save $400 and get the 4080. The 4090 is faster but not faster than being sloppy and doing something twice. You'll save more time being thoughtful and doing something less. Invest the $400.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/…vidia-RTX-4080/4136vs4138

Phil, I'd rather go a little faster for three or four years than whimper out in two or three!

• Official Post

Phil, I'd rather go a little faster for three or four years than whimper out in two or three!

Congratulations in advance on your purchase! The 4090 is an utter beast so you should be future prove for quite some time now. VR will not be a problem either if that is on your agenda.

A tip:

Make sure to not bend the power connectors leading into the card, or perhaps even acquire an already bent (90 degrees) cable like seen here (depending on the PC case size you have available). Bending the connectors can otherwise lead to damage of either the cable or even the card, worst case leading to burns. With proper care this should not be an issue though, but be mindful about it when it comes to the 4080 and 4090. Safety first! :)

• Borrowing the thread. I'm using a 3080 only for rendering and are using a lot of Custom Assets for quality visualizations. Curious to know how much of an improvement a 4080 or 4090 would be to the performance of Enscape. Anyone know?

• I know the card are much better of course however my question is how much better it is in Enscape? How much of a performance gain do I get? How much faster will it be to open projects and especially projects with a lot of high polygon Custom Assets. Recently I am taking advantage more and more of the Custom Assets in Revit-Enscape and feel like the computer is slowing down a lot. Can a 4080 or even 4090 make any difference in my case and how much of a difference?

Why I ask is because I haven’t really seen a huge difference in a desktop 3060 with a 3080.

Can Enscape really benefit from the higher CUDA-score and DRAM if you take the VR out of the equation?

My setup:

Intel Core i7-12700K

32GB DDR4 3200MHz

GeForce RTX 3080 12GB

• ...How much faster will it be to open projects and especially projects with a lot of high polygon Custom Assets.

Launching Enscape seems to be a largely CPU-bound exercise as it is processing geometry. Try opening some of your files and watch your Task Manager/CPU performance, and maybe GPU-Z to monitor the GPU. (Task Manager also shows GPU bit it doesn't always seem accurate.) For most of the launch process, the GPU is doing nothing, it is all on the CPU, and only one core at that. So from that aspect a GPU upgrade probably isn't going to help a lot.

When you say high-poly assets, given that Enscape recommended is 20k, are you talking about a bit over 20k, over 100k, or more...? Obviously many assets out there from Turbosquid etc are insanely detailed, so spending some time doing poly reduction in 3DSMax or other software could be well worth it.

• Launching Enscape seems to be a largely CPU-bound exercise as it is processing geometry. Try opening some of your files and watch your Task Manager/CPU performance, and maybe GPU-Z to monitor the GPU. (Task Manager also shows GPU bit it doesn't always seem accurate.) For most of the launch process, the GPU is doing nothing, it is all on the CPU, and only one core at that. So from that aspect a GPU upgrade probably isn't going to help a lot.

When you say high-poly assets, given that Enscape recommended is 20k, are you talking about a bit over 20k, over 100k, or more...? Obviously many assets out there from Turbosquid etc are insanely detailed, so spending some time doing poly reduction in 3DSMax or other software could be well worth it.

Yeah that’s my conclusion as well. I mean I have seen Revit benchmarks comparing different processors but I’m not sure about how much better it would be using Enscape. What’s your experiences of that? I mean I get that a 13900K would be faster than a 12700K but is it only a few seconds faster and worth the upgrade?

Yes the poly count is usually above 20k per asset. I do some reductions of the polys but the whole workflow is very time consuming and especially when I have to convert all materials in 3DS max from say corona or v-ray and then import them into Enscape. Changing materials in the Custom Asset editor isn’t the best either since I have to create a new material for every new imported asset instead of just using the project materials. That is something Enscape should consider adding in the future tho.

• I mean I get that a 13900K would be faster than a 12700K but is it only a few seconds faster and worth the upgrade?

I've lately been more into looking at Threadripper and multi-GPU setups for Vray performance. With Enscape, I try to keep projects fairly light, but others in our firm have no hesitation about throwing in geometry/assets until something breaks. Then I try to help fix it. Point being, I haven't been overly concerned with optimizing launch times, but it's something I hope to look into more. Especially in light of what I found w/ one particularly large Rhino model as outlined in this thread.

Based on general single core benchmarks, I would expect Escape to respond similarly with a roughly 15% increase between a 12700 and 13900, but I have no personal experience. If I were opening large projects every day I'd probably think it was worth it.

• I've lately been more into looking at Threadripper and multi-GPU setups for Vray performance. With Enscape, I try to keep projects fairly light, but others in our firm have no hesitation about throwing in geometry/assets until something breaks. Then I try to help fix it. Point being, I haven't been overly concerned with optimizing launch times, but it's something I hope to look into more. Especially in light of what I found w/ one particularly large Rhino model as outlined in this thread.

Based on general single core benchmarks, I would expect Escape to respond similarly with a roughly 15% increase between a 12700 and 13900, but I have no personal experience. If I were opening large projects every day I'd probably think it was worth it.

Is there a plugin for finding the worst offenders for overly large or complex families in a Revit model? I think we have a few!

• I haven't seen any of the nVidia 40X (Ada Lovelace) cards in a regular pre-built big brand desktop yet (only a few pure gaming rigs). I did find an nVidia announcement that the laptop cards wouldn't be available until early February. Has anyone found anything from Dell, HP, etc,? Per Phil Read 's advice, the RTX 4080 will still be a big step forward, so even that card in a pre-built machine would be great.

• Re: Dell's status on 4080/4090:

"We recently got samples from NVIDIA

Plan to deploy the RTX 4090 out of the factory on Precision 3660 and Precision 7960 in the May/June timeframe

The goal is for NVIDIA RTX 6000 Ada Generation to be available from the factory in Precision Towers + Rack form factors in the May/ June time frame too

This being said, things are very fluid right now, and it is possible that these dates will be pushed back.

In the meantime, we do have this available on the Alienware R15."

• I know the card are much better of course however my question is how much better it is in Enscape? How much of a performance gain do I get?

I was recently looking at graphics cards as finally there's availability and not huge markups (thank you crypto collapse!) and I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't seem like there's any significant upside to going to a 40 series from a 30 series RTX card. Real time navigation works the same with both cards, and the few seconds one might save on a still render is not noticeable when batch rendering. Only major advantage I can see is a larger GPU memory. For me it made a huge difference going from 8GB to 12 GB GPU RAM. I think it will only be when memory gets to be an issue that I will find a need to upgrade again. For day to day performance, I just don't see the need to upgrade. If you want faster loading, get a super fast SSD drive.

• I was recently looking at graphics cards as finally there's availability and not huge markups (thank you crypto collapse!) and I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't seem like there's any significant upside to going to a 40 series from a 30 series RTX card. Real time navigation works the same with both cards, and the few seconds one might save on a still render is not noticeable when batch rendering. Only major advantage I can see is a larger GPU memory. For me it made a huge difference going from 8GB to 12 GB GPU RAM. I think it will only be when memory gets to be an issue that I will find a need to upgrade again. For day to day performance, I just don't see the need to upgrade. If you want faster loading, get a super fast SSD drive.

I'm going from an RTX 2070 Super, so there will be huge performance gains! If I remember correctly, there wasn't a big jump in performance from 20XX nVidia cards to the 30XX cards. However, the increase from 30XX cards to 40XX is more significant from what I've read. Why wouldn't real-time navigation be similar to gaming performance benchmarks they always quote in the reviews?

• Is there a plugin for finding the worst offenders for overly large or complex families in a Revit model? I think we have a few!

Revit's BIM Interoperability Tools > Model Checker has presets for reporting the file size of loaded families. I just upgraded to a RTX 4070 Ti and it is a big improvement in speed.

• However, the increase from 30XX cards to 40XX is more significant from what I've read. Why wouldn't real-time navigation be similar to gaming performance benchmarks they always quote in the reviews?

If you are doing VR, it is probably always going to be worth upgrading to the latest/most $$$ GPU. For desktop use I don't know that frame rates are as critical, or that going from say a 3080 to a 4090 would make for a significantly better experience. The bottleneck we were talking about is launch times, which seem to be mainly dependent on the CPU.