Rectangle Light Not Working Properly

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • So i'm using rectangle light for this background (and similar errors occur in other places) , but it turned out not fully lighted. As you can see on the preview image below that the light only brighten the center area of what it should be doing is lighten the entire area as where i put the rectangle light (screenshot also attached). I have tried to replace it with a new rec light, tried to close and reopen the file, and tried restarting my pc, but still doesn't work. What's the issue here? And how can i fix it?

Thank you in advance!

• Official Post

Welcome to our Forum and thanks for your inquiry.

Allow me to copy a reply I've shared about this before which goes into further detail:

"Pardon the confusion but, basically every real-time rendering engine makes use of lights which aren't just spotlights, yet many can act similar to one which is due to technical limitations which we cannot circumvent either. That still doesn't mean we do not want to label our lights as such even if they are affected by the typical distance limitations."

And even more details:

"Otherwise no real-time rendering software would be able to offer lights that are non-spotlights as again, they all have their limits. Only raytraced lighting (a technique that makes light in real-time rendering engines behave like it does in real life by simulating actual light rays, using an algorithm to trace the path that a beam of light would take in the physical world.), which works differently compared to the traditional 3D rendering methods used, and also requires a lot more performance and a corresponding capable card would be able to work around this but it's not something we've implemented yet. (Not for lighting but raytraced sunshadows/reflections are already implemented)"

I'm not sure which CAD solution you are using, but if it's SketchUp in this case then we also highly reccomend only using the provided sliders for our lights instead of adjusting light lengths and so forth via SketchUp instead.

An alternative, depending on the scene, may then be placing more rect/line lights to give the impression of one single long light, and/or making use of self-emissive materials which can also simulate different lights rather well depending on the context. Make sure to not only use self-emissive surfaces to light your scene though as that can lead to visible lighting artifacts. (Mainly due to the complexity of calculating those emissive surfaces in real-time)

• I don't know why but i can't seem to upload any images, it just failed a thousand times...

edit: images is uploaded.

• Official Post

I don't know why but i can't seem to upload any images, it just failed a thousand times...

edit: images is uploaded.

Thank you - The images display what I suspected as well. Kindly refer to my explanation and workarounds above. If any further specific questions come up regarding this or any other subject, let me know of course.