Why are some of my objects/parts of my project not or improperly displayed in reflections?

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
    • Official Post

You may have already noticed, that sometimes some objects in your project are not being displayed in reflections. This is due to the fact, that generally, only elements which are visible on screen can be rendered in full detail (with accurate lighting and textures) in reflections. This technique is called screenspace reflections*.

If however certain elements are occluded on screen, or behind the camera, Enscape uses a simplified version of the scene as fallback to be able to still display a perspectively correct reflections. Our algorithm prefers to select those objects that have the most impact on lighting in the scene, so sometimes certain elements (especially highly detailed, small objects) might not be visible in this simplified version of the scene. The simplified scene reflections may display lower resolution versions of the materials textures on quality level high.

*Screen Space Reflection is a technique for reusing screen space data to calculate reflections. It's basically a ray-tracing technique but does not work on polygon mesh data, but on the depth, normal and color values that has already been calculated on screen.

We strive to improve this behavior as time progresses and hardware gets better and better, allowing for more performance intensive reflections in real-time.

Example image:

In case you experience a different but seemingly very similar problem, or in case you have any further questions regarding this subject in general, please don't hesitate to make use of our feedback button or contact us via support@enscape3d.com directly. :)

• ;) now this is great explanation,, love the term "screen space reflection" ..this is definitely handy..:saint:

NB.

@demian, bro what about these parts, which are all present inside the scene. and yet got cut out/ wrongly projected onto the mirror, including the window frame offset got thicker,, plus the "headrest" turned empty too, is enscape doing something to resolve this issues.? so its really all objects that are behind the camera view will not be reflected properly.. i hope a fix gets formulated.

Thanks

• Official Post

xrowdac , it's an older picture, the reflections in general have been improved quite a bit - I'll try to find a better example which is more up to date and edit the post accordingly.

• Official Post

HI demian is the "miniscule improvement" can be seen on your latest version, 2.7 ?

Yes, reflections will be more complex and accurate compared to what you see in the image.

這问题一直存在 The problem persists

Please refer to the posts above - we're always working on improving our reflections, but we also have to make sure that it's still performing well, since real-time reflections involve finding a good mix of performance and output.

• Yes, reflections will be more complex and accurate compared to what you see in the image.

Please refer to the posts above - we're always working on improving our reflections, but we also have to make sure that it's still performing well, since real-time reflections involve finding a good mix of performance and output.

Hi Demian,

I don't know if it is possible but it would be great to get a "special" version of Enscape for power users that have hardware that can provide the performance and high quality output. Just like a special preview version is available for those of us that want to test new features, can you release a version that is configured for quality over performance? That way your normal version stays fast for the majority of users but the ones that want that extra quality can also get it. If that is not on the development wishlist, can I request to add it?
    Thanks!

• Hi Mark,

there are TONS of requests from "power users" here ^^

Seems like there are some difficulties in enhancing the kind of behaviour most of us is requesting, without heavily modifying the architecture of the software itself.

We all hope the DEVs team will find a solution to bypass the problem, since accurate (read: physically correct) reflections and refraction are really important in architectural visualization.

• Hi everybody!

This is my latest project using Enscape 2.7, and I had this problem with the reflexions of the wall. All the walls are light grey, but in the mirror reflexion there is this white/light grey part with some lines.

I understand that this is an issue that has been happening since the first versions of Enscape, and it’s unfortunate because if this wasn’t a problem, the software would be 1000%.

• Official Post

Hi, Demian. overall rendering is not bad. but there is a problem with the mirror.

Please have a look at the post itself in this FAQ which details why this occurs. At the moment, real-time reflections require a lot of performance in the first place, but you'll have all the information in my post.

To everyone else, we are working on improving the reflections with basically every release. If it were as simple as implementing a further Rendering Quality for example to allow for "perfect" mirrored reflections, while still maintaining at least a bit of performance, we would do it. But it's technically simply not that straight forward I'm afraid.

Still, you can all be assured that we're aware of the demand for this and I always say that since hardware gets better and better, we'll also be able to offer better and better reflections with time.

• Hi there, I am learning Enscape right now and I am very interesting in Enscape. While I learning I found a question. Can I please ask you a question about Enscape?why my Water in Enscape only reflect the HDRI not the object I have in Enscape ? I want to see the reflection of my object in Water please please help me. My water material is correct and named correctly, water uses water material. help me please

• Official Post

Hi there, I am learning Enscape right now and I am very interesting in Enscape. While I learning I found a question. Can I please ask you a question about Enscape?why my Water in Enscape only reflect the HDRI not the object I have in Enscape ? I want to see the reflection of my object in Water please please help me. My water material is correct and named correctly, water uses water material. help me please

Sent you a reply to the other post of yours. :)

• Screen reflection. It is not a bug, it is a feature...

I get that this is hard, hardware limitations etc... But I would really, really, reeeeally like to have an option to have the full reflection and wait for the render even 10x longer, than to try to fix it in Photoshop, that never looks as good as it could be.

• Ok. I just watched videos I rendered in iMovie from different parts of Enscape renders, and the reflection in the mirror is a real problem. People that I show my test movies asked me why there are no pillows on the bed in the mirror, and with camera movement this is close to impossible to repair in post. So the mirror reflection is even more important if you render movies IMO.

• Official Post

Screen reflection. It is not a bug, it is a feature...

I get that this is hard, hardware limitations etc... But I would really, really, reeeeally like to have an option to have the full reflection and wait for the render even 10x longer, than to try to fix it in Photoshop, that never looks as good as it could be.

We would love that too - even at the expense of more rendering time, but it's unfortunately not that straight forward.

We're working on improving our real-time reflections further and further, but given that nature of them being rendered in real-time, they do currently have their limitations indeed. Also, and I know this isn't ideal, I would recommend to create video paths which help with not making this limitation too obvious, by having most of what you want to see reflected already on screen for example (so the pillows and such), and not outside the visible preview.

• I have experience with many different rendering engines and enscape is this what I was looking for quick and fast renders without big knowledge about "parameters" - BIG THANKS :!::love::!:

I can accept a little mistakes but this what you can see on my renders... hmmm.. I can't call this as 'feature' -I'm an optimistic man and believe that in some day, in a galaxy far, far away.... 8o

For still images - ok, 'feature'... Advanced user can fix this with making render scene behind camera and mix it with 'final' scene with 'help' from 'object id, materials and depth layers' in graphic program

But for animations it's hard to make 'quick fix'

Link for animation: https://www.jottacloud.com/share/k08gb2jhhdbl

• Official Post

Hey Xufeng-Sam

It looks as if that's one factor, yes.

The reflection algorithm filters out objects from reflections based on distance, scale and complexity - among others.

In your case this seems to have this unwanted result.

Can you try either bringing the trees closer to the camera (to the reflective surface), or - have you thought about using a Horizon Source in the Visual Settings / Atmosphere tab? That's a better way to get realistic reflections anyway!

• Code
    I thought in version 3.0 the reflection issue would be fixed. I love Enscape and its speed, but this reflection problem deters me from using it. The time I save on my renderings, I waste it finding alternatives for mirrors. It is really not pleasant to work like this !!
    Code