Does Enscape run on MacOS or iOS?

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I currently use Parallels on my MacBook Pro for some Windows Applications I need.

To sum up with all comments Enscape wouldn’t work under Rhino at Parallels with an AMD Radeon Pro 560 with 4 GB VRAM, or did I missed something?

I would love to have a macOS Version.

• As has been mentioned more than once in this and other threads Parallels an VMWare have very rudimentary video drivers, if you use Bootcamp then you’ll get a massive difference in performance compared to either.

I mentioned above that I used SU/Enscape in Bootcamp for over a year without any problems on my MBP, it’s poor compared to proper PC rig but a massive leap over Virtualisation.

• Official Post

Thanks for all the guest comments, your upvotes will be forwarded. :)

• I’m really curious, do any of you asking for a MacOS version know what’s involved? Do you think it’s just a case of clicking a button marked “make for Mac” or something?

I wrote this back in 2018 when I still used my MBP in Bootcamp: Enscape on MacOS

And that was written well prior to Apple’s announcement that they’re dropping Intel chips for ARM, that’s really going to shake things up.

• Official Post

Yes please Enscape for Mac OS needed to happen yesterday. Is there any active plan on it?

At the moment, to be totally honest with your, there are no active plans to work on Mac OS support I'm afraid. As mentioned by Paul above, given that Apple is switching to their own CPU's instead of relying on Intel chips, that will only make things even more complicated and a separate whole development department would have to be created just for that - there is a lot of demand to have Enscape on Mac OS, but overall still simply not enough yet to justify spending all these resources, when we can use them instead to better our product further and further, even perhaps adding support for other CAD solutions soon for example.

• I’m an APPL investor and own lots of APPL hardware (computers, phones, watches and more). But I bought a 15” Razer Blade Pro with the 2080RTX graphics card ($2300) to use with Enscape, Revit, SketchUp, etc. It’s a beautiful and well built laptop. Then I bought another with the 2070RTX for my son who's studying architecture / technology.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade/

You could go down the path of trying Bootcamp on a Mac but I wouldn’t bother. The $4k MacBook Pros don’t come close in terms of real-time GPU performance to the 2070 RTX for $2000. If you have a $4k budget you're better to spend it on the Razer Studio Edition with the NVIDIA Quadro P5000.

Apple makes beautiful hardware. But the AMD Radeon Pro 5600M don't come close to the NVIDIA 2070 RTX, much less the 2080 RTX or the Quadro P5000. There's other technical hurdles that make development on OSX very difficult.

Best option if you have a $4k budget? Buy a Razer laptop for $2k and put the other $2k into Apple stock.

• If macOS support would mean a complete new team and a complete new

development, we wouldn't have any cross platform Apps.

Vectorworks does support macOS and Windows, Bricscad macOS, Windows

and even Linux, same as Modo, VRay was cross platform, ....

I would think there is much more App specific code that is shared on all platforms

vs the API connections to operating systems.

It gets indeed a bit more difficult in 3D DCC world since Apple deprecated OpenGL

and not supporting Vulkan. But VW, Modo, C4D, ... will find ways to keep macOS

support.

But you are right, with Apple Silicon it doesn't make that much sense to keep on

supporting mediocre cross platform that will use Vulkan via MoltenVK over Metal.

Apple Silicon will not be superior on raw numbers but efficient.

It will be superior in addition with optimized and effective Software only which makes use

of Apples APIs. Like their Tiled Raytracing and optimizing code for their shared memory.

That is where I expect to do similar things in 3D, CAD, and Real Time Rendering

by a next iPad SoC in a small but thermally unrestricted desktop case, than what I do now

on my 3950x with RTX 2070.

I am pretty sure that Twinmotion will optimize for Apple Silicon like Unreal Engine.

Cinema4D will do. Many others may just offer support but no real optimization.

OK, it looks like Enscape, as today, is not interested in supporting macOS,

although they recently collaborated with 2 new Apps that have a bunch of Mac users.

I will accept that.

Currently Twinmotion is basically the only serious Arch Viz real time engine on macOS.

But there is still hope that there will be coming a true macOS App newcomer to

fill the gap.

• We're running Enscape with an nVidia Titan RTX and it's running really well. The new Mac Pro has an option for a Radeon Pro Vega 2, which I understand, outperforms the Titan RTX. Seems hardware isn't a reason any more. I would love Enscape for the Mac as well!!

• Any progress on this, Damien and team ?

Please get this in the pipeline? People were asking for it almost a year ago and we have 5 pages of upvotes for this. Let me know if you want me to pass around a Petition or something if you need more support.

• Official Post

Any progress on this, Damien and team ?

Please get this in the pipeline? People were asking for it almost a year ago and we have 5 pages of upvotes for this. Let me know if you want me to pass around a Petition or something if you need more support.

There is no release date information I could share yet, nor can I promise anything regarding Mac OS support, but it's something we do seriously consider - we're still taking upvotes into account and decide from there on. Still, we'll have to ask everyone here for a bit more patience - keep in mind that Mac OS support would require us to create a whole dedicated department for that, and it would also of course be a challenging task which has to be worth our resources in the end.

• I'm a Mac user since 1984!

Working on a Mac is a pleasure but it seems that Tim Cook, wants to destroy 40 years of customers that make a living using Mac.

She is thinking just to video production and completely forgot architects and engineers...

She know that Nvidia is the most suitable video card for design and so on.

WE AREN'T GAMERS!

But, she doesn't mind.

Ok.

Now we are working on a 'winzoz' that in Italian means dirty windows! :P But, to be honest, it does work... so we have to make a choice: still Mac user or win user?

It's very easy to answer: do you won't to work? Well, choose Win. Simple.

Ok, but many of our customers are Mac user... so

it could be nice to compile for win and Mac OS too, so we could distribute our work on every platform (Mac or Win).

We strongly hope to do it ASAP.

Thank you

L.;)

• I have to agree with Phil. Enscape requires a different set of tools. Some late model (low end) PC's have trouble. But, did I go out and buy a Super high end PC? Yes. I use it mostly for Revit and Lumion. Everything else is on the Mac. Vectorworks, Archicad, Twinmotion. I recently bought a Late Mac mini with a Razor Core X and a AMD 5700X for less that $2000. (I can get a 3080 later(I hope). This runs Revit with ease under bootcamp. But it runs Enscape (OK to fine). Yet, I am sure that a Mac "Legal" (not bootcamp...not hackintosh) version of Enscape could be an affordable and a "efficient" setup for the MacOS. (Even with current chipset).

My opposing view: What would it cost? I think I would rather, "Enscape" spend their dollars on continued development. So, I'm not going to get on a "bandwagon" for the MacOS version of Enscape. I'm happy. And I think most Enscape users are happy. But(1%...2%). How can they make money on that? However, I think a iPad Pro portal would be really cool. (Currently I use TeamViewer to control my PC remotely)

I'm open for testing

Enscape ROCKS!!!

• I tried to switch from Mac to Windows since 2 years now.

I just don't like to work with Windows although all 3D App experience

itself is great.

I still don't like it and won't switch, especially since Mac got again an

interesting platform again with coming ARM Apple SoCs.

Hardware wise, I am pretty happy with my Ryzen 3950X and RTX 2070.

But If I need to leave Mac for 3D I would rather go Linux with all its

restrictions vs Windows.

But YMMV ...

I will play with Enscape on Windows as long as testing period allows.

After that I can live well with the Mac alternative(s)