Better realism?

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • What I would do...

Physically: Light switches, electric sockets, put some nosing on the step, make sure that your light effects actually have something emitting them (in the conference room). Don't have all the chairs line up perfectly and make one of the stack of cups slightly askew. Put some papers and perhaps pens on the table.

Lighting: it's a bit flat - too little contrast with the surfaces having very little noticeable texture/shine. I would also get rid of the rectangle fill-in lights you can see in the reflection.

I would also put a background in the model that you can see outside the window.

• I miss the colors of the different lights. Often a war-cold contrast works very well. So, you could try a cold blue sky light vs. orange warm spot lights. Maybe the conference room get a light greenish light color like from energy save bulbs.

Also for my taste the ground to dull and bright. Try a more grey intensity, maybe you will get a more realistic light transport too. (Computer white means 100% light transport, but in the real world the brightest white is at 80%. So, a light grey concrete could be around 60%..70%. A darker ground would allow you to give more light to specific areas of interest. At the moment it is a no so interesting homogeneous white-grey only.

And the white ceramic of the cups in the near of the coffee machine looks unnatural. Try a 80% white and full reflectivity.

Could you add a large glowing screen on the wall of the conference room? Not to bright, so that you can show some reflection on it. Maybe you find a cool desktop texture. I would look for a blue one to get some contrast to the wood.

• Looks much better now.

I would enhance the glass walls in the foreground now. Maybe you could add a light tint. Also I would extract all edge surfaces and assign a darker version of the glass. Also I would add chamfers before. And there is no frame construction or hand rail on the upper edge?

The material of the couch and seat's look undefined. It is leather or cloth? I would work with a very low glossiness for cloth. Also a texture could be nice.

Could the wood get some reflectivity?

• I agree with Micha's comments:

I would add a tint to the glass balustrade, perhaps a transparent 'sky' texture just so that there is some variation in the opacity. You also need to consider how it's being held; if it's frameless as you've shown then you need a base channel and the glass would probably be a bit thicker. You might also have to put a handrail on it (or have some sort of obscure band) depending on regulations.

(echoing Micha I would also add a 0.5 albedo bump to the vertical wood and ~40% reflection)

I would also darken the foliage, adding a noise bump to it and maybe 50-60% reflection. And try and make sure the big leaves don't pass through the glass.

Being *really* picky I would split the unit at the back into horizontal and vertical grained bits of wood. And I would add a glass to the front face of the clock.

Personally I don't like the huge lampshades (that seem to float) in the boardroom - I think you would bash your head on them when standing/sitting. I would also think that every (eg) 5th ceiling tile would be a light, otherwise you are relying on the table lights to illuminate the walk-ways. Perhaps you could also add some lights to illuminate the treads on the stairs too.

Just looking at the lights over the social tables... wouldn't you be looking straight at them rather than your colleague? I think they should be raised a bit.

Aesthetically I would like to see the door into the boardroom so that it's open/ajar and you can just see the frame and a handle. I also think it's too full of people.

• It is looking much better than the first one :) good job!

i would try to look at the compostition a bit... for me, it is the over done perspective (fish eye) that mostly ruins the realism... try to work with some of the classical principles of proportion and composition, and it think the results will improve a lot.

1. use a narrower field of view, (not more than 60 degrees)

2. lower your eye height a bit to give a feeling of a taller space

3. find a more calm view... try not to have so many different perspective lines going on, and focus one story at a time... better to do two images with a clear story, than trying to tell too much in one.

4. try a supple DOF effect.... just enoug to blur the forground a bit.

5. cheap trick: try using the cromatic abboration effect, to imitate some of the inperfections of a camera... just dont overdo it :)

modelling wise, i would work on the elements closest to the camera... make sure you use detailed, well-textured models, especially in the foreground.

• DOF would be nice, like Herbo wrote. Often I try to find a point of view that something is extra placed in the foreground to get a good visible DOF blur without to much blur in the background.

The sun is a nice addition. Only I would set a much lower intensity and I think, a sun shine on the left floor or floor and a little bit on the table should be enough. My impression is that a few sun spots on a ground can be enough to give a scene a peaceful look.

• Everyone sees things differently and has different aesthetics, but I would maybe put a chair in the bottom right of the picture so you can see a bit of it. I might also make the ceiling lights emissive to see what that looks like. (And I think that the edges of the glass are a bit too blue)

Don't know about the sunlight position - I would move it about and see if there was another position that I liked better.

"horizontal and vertical grained bits of wood":

right is what my default was - I've now changed it to look like the left.

• Once again - thanks to everybody.

I have updated the images, and tried to add as many advices as I could figure out.

Herbo thanks for the comments regarding the composition. I really appreciate them, and I have tried to split up the illustration into several images - as you said, to much going on, as I wanted to show everything in one image. I have tried to reduce the amount of perspective lines to achieve a more "calm" images. Also reducing the field of view helps a lot. The DOF adds depth to the images, but I find the Enscape build-in DOF option quite useless. Really helpfull tips. Are they from experience or specific literature on this topic?

Gadget that makes sense. I will be aware of this in the next update :)

Jorgensen

• Hi Jorgensen

Glad you could use the advice, and the images looks great!! I really like the new compositions, and i think they serve the project very well :)
    I dont have any specific literature to point to, but some of the points are widely used as guidelines in architectural photography (i'm and architect by the way), and i'm sure there are loads of great articles around covering that :)

also, take a look at some of the really great visual artists out there (companies like MIR especially).... their modelling and texturing are of course great, but mostly they rely on great compositions and light!