3.5 is extremely unstable and very difficult to use

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Rhino7 user.

• So hard and nearly unable to rotate or move the model when Enscape 3.5 is running, which never happened to 3.4 on the same model.
    • "reference not set to an instance of an object" - message always happen in 3.5 to make Enscape unable to start, but never in 3.4 for the same model.

I have to roll back to 3.4 unfortunately.

• Official Post

Rhino7 user.

• So hard and nearly unable to rotate or move the model when Enscape 3.5 is running, which never happened to 3.4 on the same model.
    • "reference not set to an instance of an object" - message always happen in 3.5 to make Enscape unable to start, but never in 3.4 for the same model.

I have to roll back to 3.4 unfortunately.

I'm sorry to hear about that of course.

Regarding both issues and especially the latter which we're currently investigating please also submit us a feedback report manually as detailed here:

https://learn.enscape3d.com/bl…eedback-button-win-rhino/

Alongside, is there any chance what so every to share the project with me as well with which you experience this? Just in case you do not run into this in basically any scene, even an empty one perhaps. So if this occurs with a select one of yours, let me know and I'll provide you with a confidential upload link.

I appreciate the cooperation.

I ran into exact same issue, which seems to happen when I have some complicated geometry or large size model.
    also, when I modify block object with Enscape on, it displays some message like "upgrading from version 3 to version 4" on every single block object and takes long time to modify anything. all of these issues were fine in 3.4 version.

• Official Post

I ran into exact same issue, which seems to happen when I have some complicated geometry or large size model.
    also, when I modify block object with Enscape on, it displays some message like "upgrading from version 3 to version 4" on every single block object and takes long time to modify anything. all of these issues were fine in 3.4 version.

+1

We are at the studio experiencing the same problem.. almost impossible to work on and rotate the model while enscape is running.

Thank you both for the report - I can already assure you that we're aware of these issues and one of them has already been fixed internally. I'll keep you posted once I'll have any further news to share soon as to when all of these fixes will be added with an update.

• Extremely difficult to work with enscape 3.5. Having the same error as above. Considering this is a stable release and not a preview, it is extremely disappointing. In the interim, will be switching to twinmotion. A patch should have immediately been released or announced instead of letting people update and then encountering these issues.

• Duan

You may want to check if you have any solid polysurfaces with multiple materials attached to different faces. I also got the "reference not set to an instance of an object" crash and narrowed it down to a solid polysurface that had some areas of grass material assigned and some areas of hardscape. Hiding that object before booting enscape fixed the load error. Showing the object while enscape was already running made the whole thing crash.

It looks like 3.5 version boots up and then runs a delayed code of some kind that works with the WCS mapping. This was severely lacking in earlier versions so I'm glad i has finally been addressed, even if it is still a little buggy (as long as it runs at all).

I have found that I have to refresh the model pretty regularly to get it to catch up with material changes.

• Official Post

Hello jaias92, please feel free to test the latest version, 3.5.1, which was released on Wednesday. Can you give us an update if that resolves the issue?

• Hi Kaj Burival

I have tested it. It’s still so so so unworkable. For example, it forces a material version update EVERY time any change is made to the rhino model. Even something as simple as ungrouping. The model hangs and the whole workflow is halted. I am working on large and complex models, so it takes up to 15 minutes for this. furthermore, if I unhide or show a layer, Enscape identifies and updates each material object one by one. If the layer has 3600 objects, each material version update takes about 2 seconds. In total I was sitting at the screen for about nearly 2 hours. this experience has been quite traumatising for me.

• Official Post

I'm sorry to hear that didn't fix the problem for you, jaias92
    As my colleague Demian asked above, is there any chance for you to share the project with us so we can try to recreate the behavior on our end?

• Hi Kaj Burival,

I am experiencing every single issue mentioned by others in the thread. Version 3.5 is basically unusable. I have been running all the same Rhino files on 3.4 for months with no issues. Excuse me for copy and pasting others descriptions of the issues, but they are the exact same so...

1. "So hard and nearly unable to rotate or move the model when Enscape 3.5 is running, which never happened to 3.4 on the same model." - Duan

2. "reference not set to an instance of an object" - message always happen in 3.5 to make Enscape unable to start, but never in 3.4 for the same model." - Duan.

-After a lot of troubleshooting I did find a single object that was causing this behavior. Multiple instances of the same object were deleted and I have not seen the message again, but these exact same objects have been working in 3.4 files for months with no issues.

3. Constantly getting the "upgrading from version 3 to version 4" message in Rhino command line. Takes forever to go through every object over and over again.

4. Constantly crashing. Not just Enscape but Rhino too. All crashes are in files I have been working with for months in 3.4 with no issues.

I'd like to provide more info but I'm just switching back to 3.4.

• I can confirm - the same happens to me as jaias92 and shanewilliamson pointed out.

3.5 makes Rhino go so slow and unusable that I have to return to 3.4

It feels like this is becoming a common issue and pattern.

I do not quite understand why everytime a new version comes out, Rhino seems to get the least love.

My advice to Enscape is that when performing product QC before it gets released, at least try testing it with super heavy model with a lot of blocks and groups and polysurfaces. See if an artist can really work with it?

• Official Post

Just to make very sure while we are looking into this, please also install and acquire Enscape 3.5.1 (our latest service pack) which should still resolve some of the issues mentioned specifically - If you are already on 3.5.1, or upgrade and experience problems still, we'd still very much appreciate it if you could share (one of) the corresponding project with us.

I can also gladly provide a confidential upload link once you let me know. We'll simultaneously will be looking into this further of course.

• +1

I can tell you that i am facing the same problems even with 3.5.1 . So i had to do a rollback(again) to 3.4.4 . Because working with 3.5.1 was impossible.

I used the feedback button, described my problem. And the answer i got was that i had to downscale all my textures to 2K (i haven't done that). Theres must be an issue with the 3.5.1 because it works perfectly on 3.4.4...

• I used the feedback button, described my problem. And the answer i got was that i had to downscale all my textures to 2K (i haven't done that). Theres must be an issue with the 3.5.1 because it works perfectly on 3.4.4...

From my experience, the support people that you reach through the feedback button always assume it's user error. It must be either your driver, your setup, your hardware, your project, ... I have stopped submitted feedback through the feedback button because it's a complete waste of time.

The support staff on the forum here (like Demian Gutberlet and others) are luckily much better :) . I wish there was a way to direct my logs directly to them and skip the feedback portal altogether.

• Official Post

Thank you all for your patience and feedback so far - Our developers are currently still investigating further as we're able to reproduce the slowdown issues. I'll get back to you in case of any further news, or if we'll require any additional information from you.