3.5 is extremely unstable and very difficult to use

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • This is so absolutely annoying!!!!!

Since ALL VERSIONS FROM 3.4.4 are just rubbish, I gave the current version another try. Unfortunately!

Rhino 7 up to date, Vray 6 up to date and again ENSCPAE is crashing everything.

This time, during work the Rhino material Button disappeared. I spend half a day of trying around, doing research on McNeel and so on.

Finally I just uninstalled fkng enscape 3.5.4 and again I installed 3.4.4. One click in the menu, and the missing window was back again.

Thanks for loosing hours with another buggy version. This is so absolutely disappointing.

• 3.5.5 is released! Enscape Service Pack 3.5.5

Rhino - Fixed Performance Issues When Making Layers Visible While Enscape is Open We investigated two performance issues when enabling/disabling layers. On the one hand, Rhino takes a long time to calculate the changes and previously, Enscape took extremely long to apply these changes. We fixed the performance issues on the Enscape side and enabling/disabling layers should no longer stall Rhino. We reported the former problem to the Rhino developers, so it can be addressed in future Rhino versions

• Official Post

I am sorry to hear about that. If you do get the chance to give Service Pack 3.5.5 a try as well which just released a couple of hours ago (including further bug fixes for Rhino) whenever possible then we'd appreciate it of course.

Furthermore regarding the Rhino material button disappearing in 3.5.4, that is definitely also something we wish to look into as this seemingly hasn't been reported before, so we'd also appreciate it if you could let us know should it this behavior surface again, alongside submitting a report with logs ideally too.

You can also feel free to submit us that report already before trying Service Pack 3.5.5, and we can at least check your logs for any hints as to why problem might've occurred in the first place.

• I am still experiencing major issues with 3.5.5 unfortunately. I have a decently large model (395 mb) that was mostly pulled in from Revit and it is much faster to close Enscape and restart than it is to unhide selected objects with Enscape open. When Enscape is completely closed, objects can be unhidden immediately without any lag. With Enscape open (even if live update is turned off) rhino freezes for minutes and wont even let me select the object I wish to unhide. Please just take out all of the new Chaos Code that has turned your amazing rendering engine into something that is barely usable.

Update: Match Properties and block editing are still unacceptably slow as well with Enscape open. Block editing is particularly bad.

• Something does not sound right to me.

So 3.4.4 with current Rhino = working smoothly.

But 3.5.5 with current Rhino = lag and difficult if not impossible to use

and Enscape is demanding Rhino's developer to make changes (to what was working before)

I mean I can understand why it will take very long to fix - because here we are asking people to change something that used to work.

• I am sorry to hear about that. If you do get the chance to give Service Pack 3.5.5 a try as well which just released a couple of hours ago (including further bug fixes for Rhino) whenever possible then we'd appreciate it of course.

Furthermore regarding the Rhino material button disappearing in 3.5.4, that is definitely also something we wish to look into as this seemingly hasn't been reported before, so we'd also appreciate it if you could let us know should it this behavior surface again, alongside submitting a report with logs ideally too.

You can also feel free to submit us that report already before trying Service Pack 3.5.5, and we can at least check your logs for any hints as to why problem might've occurred in the first place.

Dear Damian,

I am sorry, but this will ne be possible. After I had to switch back to 3.4.4 since the missing material button and other issues,

ALL THE USED PROPS were not displayed with materials anymore.

Of course, 3.4.4 is not able to show 3.5.4 props. But this was another half day of replacing all the props in the file....

So if I try out 3.5.5 and this will also not work and I have to switch back, the whole file is destroyed again.

Feels like being a beta tester....

• What is the status of getting a stable 3.5.x version for rhino???? This has been many months now with no (workable)updates...

I updated to 3.5.5 today, just to check if it worked, dispite the the comments in this thread saying it still is unusable. And indeed the bugs still remains.... Rhino becomes super slow, enscape is slower than 3.4.4, lags on lags on lags and eventually a crash. AGAIN, I did a rollback to 3.4.4 which is the only usable version.. What is going on, did you stop the rhino support? or are you just prioritizing other CAD? How can 3.4.4 run completely fine with no lags or bugs and 3.5.5 is complete unusable?? Do we need to look for alternatives for doing our visualizations in rhino??...

• I'm very sorry to anyone who updated because of my post and is still having trouble.

My computer has 32gb RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Laptop GPU graphics card. My models are generally between 200-300MB and I am using all custom materials and textures. I do not use worksessions in my workflow but lots of blocks and linked CAD.

3.5.5 is not quite as fast as 3.4.4 but it is still working for me, even in larger models with lots of lights, emissive materials, displacement maps, etc. Enscape does take longer to open and there is some lag when isolating and unisolating elements in large models with the camera and updates synced, but for whatever reason, I am no longer having the same issue as before.

The quality of light and especially reflections in 3.5.5 is SO much better than 3.4.4 so I hope this issue gets sorted for everyone.

• Anyone tried v3.5.6? I can't keep testing out new versions in a production environment without feeling confident the issues in this thread have been addressed. Have the big issues been addressed? One of the moderators mentioned in a previous post that McNeel needs to address some aspects on the Rhino side, is this something that they have agreed to do, what specific issue was that referring to?

v3.4 is still working fine for our office, but I worry our switch to Rhino 8 is going to leave us with no option but to use the buggy v3.5 at some point if these issues aren't addressed.

• Complete silence.... - no news from the developers for over a month. - It has been 8 months without a workable update for rhino. How is 3.5.x so much worse than 3.4.4?

3.5.x makes 3.4.4 seem like a perfect piece of software, which it is not (3.4.4 has a bunch of bugs as well...)

• Demian Gutberlet are the issues resolved in 3.5.6?

In my testing between 3.4.4, 3.5.5, and 3.5.6, the same issues persist in 3.5.6.

Note the announcement that Rhino 8 will not be supported until Enscape 4.0 - "...we need to stop shipping Service Packs for the old technology at some point. Otherwise, it will be more or less 'wasted' effort and it would cause a further delay of 4.0 and therefore a delay of the whole roadmap for next year. The last planned Service Pack that we decided to ship was released just a few minutes ago."

It doesn't sound to me like fixes for Rhino 7 fit into that plan.

• Official Post

I am sorry to hear that despite installing our latest service pack(s) you still experience issues ( SOS , Twuen , @oscarm) .

As per our Service Pack 3.5.5 release notes here, this previous update should've resolved at least the following:

• Rhino - Fixed Performance Issues When Making Layers Visible While Enscape is Open We investigated two performance issues when enabling/disabling layers. On the one hand, Rhino takes a long time to calculate the changes and previously, Enscape took extremely long to apply these changes. We fixed the performance issues on the Enscape side and enabling/disabling layers should no longer stall Rhino. We reported the former problem to the Rhino developers, so it can be addressed in future Rhino versions

For some users this seems to work and not cause problems in that aspect anymore, but in case you do still experience problems like crashes, freezes or similar having installed our latest service pack (3.5.6), please also submit us a dedicated feedback report including log files so that we can still investigate further thereafter: https://learn.enscape3d.com/bl…eedback-button-win-rhino/

After sending in said report you will hear back from us again very soon with at least an explanation/solution depending on the case and system. Please ideally also let me know once sent in, and thank you in advance for the cooperation.

• ... in case you do still experience problems like crashes, freezes or similar having installed our latest service pack (3.5.6), please also submit us a dedicated feedback report including log files

Demian - I sent an example file and logs from 3 different PCs with 3.5.5 and 3.5.6.

Phil Read opened the ticket originally on Nov 10 - 173514

It is a large file, but all worked fine in 3.4.4

• Demian Gutberlet I need to confirm if there will be no further updates and the issues that still persist will continue to persist? Have tried the software again and its incredibly slow. cant even open the file. 3.4.4 opens it so much faster. Same issues with material updating from version 3 to 4. Same issues with layer on and off