visual settings

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
    • Official Post

Welcome to our Forum.

I hope I'm understanding you correctly and let me know in case I miss something, but feel free to refer to this article here regarding how to save and manage your settings presets:

https://learn.enscape3d.com/bl…settings-presets/#options

If any further specific questions arise, let me know too!

• This is yet another demonstration that the current preset system is the opposite of discoverable and intuitive.

The fact that I have to explain the system to every single new Enscape user we've ever had, tells you all you need to know.

• This is yet another demonstration that the current preset system is the opposite of discoverable and intuitive.

The fact that I have to explain the system to every single new Enscape user we've ever had, tells you all you need to know.

Anything that happens on that left side bump out menu tends to be a pain point for me throughout the software. Presets, video settings/options, scene management...

• Indeed Pieter, many users have pointed out that the current method of Enscape overwriting presets with every adjustment is not intuitive at all. I can't think of any other software that works this way. Especially with renderings, being able to consistently reproduce the same view and settings between iterations is critical.

• Something I’d like to see is the visual settings being accessible from outside of the Enscape window.

Scenario:

I’m working on a model and I want to use the settings I used in a past model and they weren’t saved as external files at the time.

I have to close my current model, open the old model, fire up Enscape, wait, wait, wait, save the settings, close the model, reopen the one I’m working on, fire up Enscape, wait wait wait, and finally import the settings.

I don’t need to edit them, just import them from one model into the current one.

• This is an older thread but very relevant RE: Duplicate views, select/change preset of multiple views & other QoL features

In the recent poll as to how much of the visual settings should be in the individual views I chose the 2nd option (partial). If you produce 1 or 2 views from a model I can see the attraction of the 3rd option (full) but I usually knock out 20 or 30 views and I need a consistent look to all of them, if I want a slightly lower/higher exposure I can currently; and with the 2nd option make that change once. With the 3rd option; with the exposure (and other relevant settings) in the views I have to make it for every scene.

• This is an older thread but very relevant RE: Duplicate views, select/change preset of multiple views & other QoL features

In the recent poll as to how much of the visual settings should be in the individual views I chose the 2nd option (partial). If you produce 1 or 2 views from a model I can see the attraction of the 3rd option (full) but I usually knock out 20 or 30 views and I need a consistent look to all of them, if I want a slightly lower/higher exposure I can currently; and with the 2nd option make that change once. With the 3rd option; with the exposure (and other relevant settings) in the views I have to make it for every scene.

As I understood those mockups the exposure is also included in option 2.

To be honest, I am surprised that using a consistent settings across many views is working for you. We are also exporting 20 or 30 views, but are finding that each view needs its own settings. One shot faces the windows, another faces away, one is in a room with dimmer lights, one is outside.... these are all requiring at least different exposures in our experience.

For us, the presets are doing more harm than good. So often a user edits a preset, not realizing that other views will (negatively) be affected by it. To get around that, users are recommended to make a unique preset for each view but it's a tedious job. And sometimes people might forget (for example when duplicating a view).

• Yes, with autoexposure one reaches the limits rather quickly. The current setup is "good enough" but I end up with several presets by the time I tweak a set of views for batch rendering. Having exposure per view may be slightly slower in the beginning, but would overall save time and the hassle of inconsistent exposures.

• Well, there’s me put in my place :)

When you put it like that you’re quite right.

I suppose the question is ‘how do we establish/apply the initial setting(s) from which we can then deviate(if needed) per scene?’

Let’s say I’ve setup 20 panos with 1 setting and now I want to setup 20stills with a new one.

Currently I have 2 settings called ‘panos’ and ‘stills’, in the future how do you picture the process of applying the stills setting whilst simultaneously modifying it per scene WITHOUT upsetting the already setup panos?

This isn’t a challenge by the way, it’s something Enscape is going to have to work out and we’re going to use so thinking about it now ‘may’ influence their methodology.

• Ideally, from my perspective, duplicated views would 'inherit' the settings of the original view. So if you duplicate a view that had 80% exposure with a field of view of 45degrees, those settings would be inherited by the new view. But if you make changes to the new view those would not affect the original view.

I have never found myself wanting to change the exposure of all views equally, or wanting to adjust the field of view of all views equally, so for me this would be enough. If you do want a way to update the settings on many views at a time, you would need to introduce the concept of 'presets' again, but I that happens, I think they should be optional, like how view templates work in Revit: each view has its own settings that can be set individually, but a user can opt to select a preset so those settings get managed from a central preset.

But such a system sounds a lot more complex for Enscape to build and maintain, so I imagine there would need to be enough users demand to warrant it. I for one can't see myself using it because, as mentioned earlier, we typically need/want to configure things per view anyway.