Leaving Enscape for D5 Render - my reasons

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape (including installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed here. Thank you for your understanding.
  • After a year and a half of worthwhile usage of Enscape I've decided to switch to D5 Render. The main reasons are:

1. D5 allows for animated figures and vehicles. It's easy to do and can have a huge impact on the sense of realness of certain scenes. It's important not to overdo it.

2. The video editor is better. The odd and clunky video editor used by Enscape was too frustrating to use in my opinion.

3. Price. D5 Render is substantially cheaper versus Enscape.

The only issue I've encountered with D5 Render is that is takes longer to render a scene or video versus Enscape. Up to fifty-percent longer in some cases. I'm using an antiquated RTX 2070. I don't mind the extra time since I'm not doing production work.

Good luck everyone.

• Do you have any examples of interior renders? I tried D5 and was very disappointed with artificially lit interior spaces. (I just received an email that the Enscape annual subscription costs are increasing again. I'm always keeping one eye on the exit door in case it gets to a point where the subscription costs stops making sense. So far the increase is not huge.)

• This is a timely thread. After receiving the email about the price increase (again) - it was the push I needed to go and try out D5 since it's been a while. They've made some pretty major improvements from some short testing I did yesterday, so we'll see. The workflow is a bit different than what I'm used to with SketchUp/Enscape, which I have to say is highly automated at this point and very easy for me. It's going to be no small task to get me to switch, but that's not to say that I'm still not actively trying. Surely that can't be a good thing for Enscape/Chaos executives to have their customers constantly eyeing the exit door as andybot said.

The price increase is not huge, but I loath SaaS pricing and we all know how the pricing model inevitably 1) increases consistently and 2) under-delivers updates. I'm also really frustrated that they keep the monthly price so overpriced vs the yearly/annual, in order to push users to pay yearly. It's just way too obvious of a nudge.

Chester - I'm using a 3080 12GB and it's very fast. Definitely "slower" than Enscape for static images (haven't tried video yet) but definitely wouldn't say it's outright slow, as anything GPU rendered these days is blazing fast compared to traditional CPU. Notably, D5 now used DLSS 3, if you needed/wanted to push to a 4xxx series card. They're incredibly expensive but I have a 4080 on my gaming PC and it's pretty incredible- and will surely last me another 3-5 years, as did my old 1080ti. Even if you upgrade to a 4070ti from the 2070, you'd see a massive performance improvement.

• I'm in the same situation. Enscape is excellent, but the most recent round of price increases has pushed past my budget as a freelancer.

I've also grudgingly switched over to D5 and agree with all the points made above about working with D5, and about Enscape's monthly pricing.

• 你有室内渲染的例子吗?我尝试了 D5,但对人工照明的内部空间感到非常失望。(我刚刚收到一封电子邮件,说 Enscape 的年度订阅费用再次增加。我总是盯着出口门,以防它达到订阅费用不再有意义的地步。到目前为止,增幅并不大。由

与D5相比

• My firm made the switch a few weeks ago. It does have a learning curve but as pointed out in RE: Rhino 8: Status quo and next steps Enscapes development has gone downhill fast and I don't see it improving under Choases ownership. D5's UI is not as streamlined as Enscape and the D5 forum has been discussing that.

I would gladly switch back to Enscape if the features and output matched the price. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• I was looking at the alternatives for my landscape design renders (Lumion, Twinmotion, Vantage and D5) and D5 ticked more boxes than the others for me. I gave Enscape the benefit of the doubt because of my familiarity with it along with its speed when I posted this in 2022 Should I stay with Enscape? but I'm currently trying my best to get decent quality results out of the D5 community version before making the switch to the Pro version when my renewal comes up.

I feel like Enscape had a fantastically unique offering to a great many businesses of varying sizes, but the lack of development and desire to grow this arm of the Chaos business is obvious. The Chaos Library should've been integrated into Enscape as a priority following the merger, surely that would've been a 'quick win' and alone would've justified the pricing increases. It's a real shame.

• In my opinion D5 produces better images than Enscape, has more features and is cheaper.

Unfortunately i don't like the workflow with Sketchup and some things are very annoying (D5 does not recognize the Sketchup tags and puts all the geometries in a one object).

The D5 "strange" workflow is the only reason becouse i stay with Enscape, but i don't know in future.

I know that Chaos doesn't want to fight with D5 in the quality and feautures arena, but in my opinion it is losing too much time and seems that it doesn't mind.

• In my opinion D5 produces better images than Enscape, has more features and is cheaper.

Unfortunately i don't like the workflow with Sketchup and some things are very annoying (D5 does not recognize the Sketchup tags and puts all the geometries in a one object).

The D5 "strange" workflow is the only reason becouse i stay with Enscape, but i don't know in future.

I know that Chaos doesn't want to fight with D5 in the quality and feautures arena, but in my opinion it is losing too much time and seems that it doesn't mind.

At least you can live sync it so if you need to make a change then you just do it in sketchup, but yes, the tags issue is a bit of a problem.

• At least you can live sync it so if you need to make a change then you just do it in sketchup, but yes, the tags issue is a bit of a problem.

Hi Grizzier

The tags issue is one of the issues I would have with the D5.

Worse is the fact that Enscape saves material information within the .skp file and D5 does not.

This means that I cannot fill my project with objects taken from my libraries within Sketchup, but I must necessarily convert everything for D5 assets and then add objects in that interface.

A little nightmare for me who creates images of commercial shops with tons of custom objects.

• Try this in D5:

I have a brick texture that is 10 x 10 bricks so I want to set it to tile at exactly 2250mm x 750mm ... that's it, that's all you have to try and do in D5.

or:

I have a simple wooden roof truss, let's half it for simplicity. It has 3 pieces of timber, one is horizontal, one is 30deg and the 3rd is bracing the 1st 2. Now... make a single wood texture that aligns to each face of each piece of timber.

These were some of my 1st tests in D5 and unless I was doing something grossly wrong it was impossible .... D5 was uninstalled very soon after.

• I always map my critical textures in sketchup so that would explain why I've not encountered that issue. I see D5 has added bump mapping features recently, but I've not done enough with it yet to have an opinion on it.

• Spot on. Using native SketchUp tools is a lot easier for many seemingly "small" things, until you realize how often you do them. If D5 would rely on SketchUp placing the material position, that would solve the issue.

I also found that it is best to do all material changes inside SketchUp as opposed to swapping out material types with the D5 material picker. If you are trying to dial in a Brick or tile material, for example, and want to cycle through a bunch of different looks/patterns/etc, if you do that via the D5 material picker you will lose the name functionality from SketchUp and can't quickly swap materials without creating new names. You also also the ability to Transform from within SketchUp. It was a deal breaker for me.

A better explanation if what I am describing is here: https://forum.d5render.com/t/h…o-original-material/13302

"The current logic for synchronising materials via direct read [update model] is that:

1. Once imported, all materials are no longer modified by the material parameters in the modelling software.

2. Only the material with the new material name will be re-synced as a new material, the updated model will only recognise the new material name.

The most efficient way to revert to a material in the modelling software is to rename your material in the modelling software and then update/re-sync the model."

• Here’s another reason I can’t/wont use D5:

I find and place a nice coffee table from the D5 library… all good so far.

Now I want to place one of my own SU assets such as a phone/ vase/brochure on it … but of course the table doesn’t exist in SU so now what?

Not only can I see my Enscape assets (proxy or not) in SU but I can move them and objects related to them in SU AND simultaneously see them move in Enscape

• Here’s another reason I can’t/wont use D5:

I find and place a nice coffee table from the D5 library… all good so far.

Now I want to place one of my own SU assets such as a phone/ vase/brochure on it … but of course the table doesn’t exist in SU so now what?

Not only can I see my Enscape assets (proxy or not) in SU but I can move them and objects related to them in SU AND simultaneously see them move in Enscape

That's a good point. However this issue can also crop up in Enscape if you use the "save as external model for enscape" feature whereby you're just left with a bounding box and have to guess where edges/faces are if you wish to arrange something else next to or on top of the previous item. I'd like to be able to reverse that process but I don't know if that's possible.

• Furthering Grizzler 's point, Enscape is moving away from the in modeling software asset placement, and transitions to a similar in render asset placement as D5. Part of the Enscape roadmap was a tool similar to Skatter and that wouldn't work in the modeling software across all platforms. It just makes sense to have it in the rendering engine. I don't see it on the roadmap so maybe it isn't planned anymore, but other features are also hinting at it coming. I don't like that change buts obvious to see it coming.