Leaving Enscape for D5 Render - my reasons

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • I usually edit the bounding box and substitute my own basic geometry that represents the size and shape of the sofa, bed etc etc. but I get what you’re saying.

The thing is I CAN move assets such as cushions in SU and view them simultaneously in Enscape to get them sitting nicely on my proxy’s sofa, in D5 you can resync the entire model but to do that every time I want to tweak a vase/painting etc etc would be a nightmare. I’ve just done 3 apartments being built near a local whiskey distillery, all the paintings and some of the assets are relevant to the locale, I just can’t see me doing that in D5 with the ease that it can be done in SU/Enscape.

• This all reminds me of when I tried Thea after using V-Ray for Sketchup and getting annoyed at all the little hindrances in the workflow. It sounds like D5 is still quite a work-in-progress and isn't likely to be on equal footing with Enscape in the near future. Again, I would still like to see someone post successful artificially lit interiors, because in the few tests I tried it came out awful. It's one thing to light everything with a single sky model, quite another to account for many point lights.

• This all reminds me of when I tried Thea after using V-Ray for Sketchup and getting annoyed at all the little hindrances in the workflow. It sounds like D5 is still quite a work-in-progress and isn't likely to be on equal footing with Enscape in the near future. Again, I would still like to see someone post successful artificially lit interiors, because in the few tests I tried it came out awful. It's one thing to light everything with a single sky model, quite another to account for many point lights.

My work involves large supermarkets and is heavily interior focused. I use a TON of artificial light & rely on it vs an exterior skybox, as you mentioned. My models are as accurate as possible, according to the lighting plan (that I also design). Using native SketchUp tools to place lights & manage components is huge for my Enscape workflow. I even use Enscape as a tool to help guide lighting design decisions on our CAD plans. BUT, Enscape starts to fall apart with a high light count - though what that number actually is, Ensacape won't say. All I know is that at some point, light pop-in and some geometry skipping becomes a major issue for quality in Enscape (particularity in video walk-through's). D5's GI is excellent and handles a high number of light sources better, but managing them inside D5 is a pain and can get really messy really quickly if you get sloppy with organization.

I suspect having Enscape run within SketchUp (or whatever other program) has some limitations to resource allocation and sets some artificial limits that wouldn't otherwise be present via running it in an external application.

• I’ve just remembered someone asked me about D5 a while ago, this was my reply, some points are covered above.

• The interface is a mess, there are buttons all over the place.
    • I really dislike the methodology of only placing assets within the D5 environment, it means having D5 open all the time whereas with Enscape I can get 80/90% of the way to my finished model in SU without even opening Enscape.
    • In D5 sizing textures can only be done with a scale slider, I can't, for example, size a brick or tile texture to an exact dimension.
    • In D5 there is no mapping, If I have, for example, a wooden shelf where I wanted the grain to run in different directions on different faces I need to setup each direction as separate materials in SU and then apply unique materials to each of them in D5
    • No proxies, if you want high detail but it isn't in their assets you have to have the high detail model within your main SU model.
    • If you place one of their assets such as a table down and then want one of your own assets such as a laptop on that table .... good luck!
    • The mouse navigation(orbit/fly) is horrible compared to Enscape

There's other stuff but I basically gave up testing it at this point.

It seems there are some quite nice stuff in D5 but to get to experience them I'd have to wade through a sea of frustration and that's not me.

• If you prioritize ease of use and a simple UI, awesome, Enscape is definitely the program to use. I'm willing to adapt to a slightly rougher program that offers features that Enscape refuses to add. I believe its undeniable that Enscape's development has been slacking in the recent years, and D5 is on track to overtaking Enscape. I am limited to one rendering software a year and since Enscape locks me into a year long contract (if I don't want to spend more for a monthly license) then I'm going to put my money into program that's adapting better to its users, has a quicker and more robust updates, and is cheaper.

I don't think the goal of this thread is to specifically debate the pros and cons of D5. That can totally be done, but that's probably a different thread entirely. This thread was started to try and get someone from Enscape to address the lack of response to user feedback and prove that their client base is leaving due to bad decision making on Enscape's part. A trend I've been noticing is as soon as someone gets critical of Enscape the responses from official Enscape accounts stops or never comes. Pre Chaos acquisition Demian, Kaj, Thomas, or someone else would response accordingly. Now days it feels like a AI could copy and paste the responses if there even is one. Enscape was a great program, now its just feels neutered.

• If you prioritize ease of use and a simple UI, awesome, Enscape is definitely the program to use. I'm willing to adapt to a slightly rougher program that offers features that Enscape refuses to add. I believe its undeniable that Enscape's development has been slacking in the recent years, and D5 is on track to overtaking Enscape. I am limited to one rendering software a year and since Enscape locks me into a year long contract (if I don't want to spend more for a monthly license) then I'm going to put my money into program that adapting better to its users, has a quicker and more rubust updates, and is cheaper.

I don't think the goal of this thread is to specifically debate the pros and cons of D5. That can totally be done, but that's probably a different thread entirely. This thread was started to try and get someone from Enscape to address the lack of response to user feedback and prove that their client base is leaving due to bad decision making on Enscape's part. A trend I've been noticing is as soon as someone gets critical of Enscape the responses from official Enscape accounts stops or never comes. Pre Choas acquisition Demian, Kaj, Thomas, or someone else would response accordingly. Now days it feels like a AI could copy and paste the responses if there even is one. Enscape was a great program, now its just feels neutered.

I'm of the opinion that the "merger / NOT merger" with Chaos was the catalyst. I expect Enscape to replace Vantage and be Vray's solution to realtime GPU. Particularly since Enscape is actively developing "easy" exporting directly to Vray. There's a grocery list of other higher priority features and UI nitpicks that forum users have clamored for, but we are likely just a... vocal...subset of the larger user base.

• In my opinion, Enscape gave up being a program for making "beautiful renderings to sell" when it was purchased by Chaos, becoming a good previsualizer for those who design and want to "tell" their idea to the client before passing the project to the graphic that will make it photorealistic with V-ray.

This makes sense to me. If I were in Chaos I probably would have made the same decision. Unfortunately my work requires the speed (and flexibility) of Enscape and the quality of V-ray. Or, if it is not possible to have the quality of V-ray, I should at least be able to get close to that of D5 with its thousand features to have much more engaging videos.

If it weren't for a disastrous workflow I would have already switched to D5, because I can't afford the Enscape + V-ray alternative in terms of cost and time to invest.

If I'm honest, I miss the times when Enscape wasn't under the wing of Chaos and constantly improving from release to release. Now it seems like the updates are slow, modest, and mostly dedicated to making data transition from Esncape to V-ray seamless.

• I usually edit the bounding box and substitute my own basic geometry that represents the size and shape of the sofa, bed etc etc. but I get what you’re saying.

The thing is I CAN move assets such as cushions in SU and view them simultaneously in Enscape to get them sitting nicely on my proxy’s sofa, in D5 you can resync the entire model but to do that every time I want to tweak a vase/painting etc etc would be a nightmare. I’ve just done 3 apartments being built near a local whiskey distillery, all the paintings and some of the assets are relevant to the locale, I just can’t see me doing that in D5 with the ease that it can be done in SU/Enscape.

There is a real-time synchronization plugin on the official website of D5, you should not have downloaded it, whether it is 3Dmax or su, there is this plugin

How about this

• I think I will stick with Enscape, there maybe animated characters in D5 but they are very poor quality and plastic looking, especially the girl floating above the water crawling.

• I like D5 but...there's a lot to unpack here in this example:

Quite a bit of distracting pop-in on some reflections throughout. It is struggling with reflections behind/through transparent objects (glass building behind the trees). And some general reflection pop-in/out throughout.

Your vegetation is floating when the biker rides by in the beginning.

I also agree with jwal485 - Not all animated characters are good. Particularly the swimmers, which bring down the quality of the work as a whole (and I know this is a lot of hard work). The postured swimmers look terrible.

Why are there caustics blanketing nearly everything on the patio grounds?

Pool water is too smooth, is there an option to increase waves/wind on the water?

The sun shadows are coming from behind the camera but the background has it facing the camera.

This is an outdoor aqua center, why would it be anything but beautiful weather in the marketing?

• I believe that both programs have their strengths.

I've been doing D5 RENDER tests all day and I'm impressed by the results.

I prefer ENSCAPE because of its ease/basic interface and because over the years I have been getting super used to it.

BUT, with D5 RENDER, once the learning period passes I think it will be very good option.

one BIG point for D5 RENDER is the moving elements for the presentations/videos.

• Meant to combine comments, but not sure if I'm doing it right.

-----

As I primarily use Rhino, I had no choice but move to D5 mainly. There are certainly upsides of Enscape, especially with assets that can be placed in the modeling software, but D5 has more higher quality assets (some of which can be animated).

Some of Paul's comments are still valid, but I've found D5 texture quality/manipulation is much better once you get used to it as it has many functions not available in Enscape, such as transparent video material, actually usable 3d grass, vertically flowing water, decals that can wrap around 3d objects, etc.

Regarding proxies, I prefer D5 as multiple D5 files can be merged from different software. For example, a coworker can build architecture in Revit, and you can build interior/landscape in another modeling software. Both can be worked on D5 separately, and those two files can be merged/updated.

No renderer is perfect, but for now I prefer D5 (also need to use it because of Rhino). I took time to write this post not to bash Enscape but to encourage the competition. If Enscape gets better, it will push D5 to get better, vice versa. All good for us, users. But I feel that Enscape has been quite lacking on development considerably, compared to D5 (price consideration is also big).

This is one of my early examples with D5, modeled in Rhino. Water doesn't look good here, but D5 now has much better water texture already. I might update it when I get a chance. Surely there are a lot of things I didn't get right as this is one of the very first tries with D5 to see what could be done, but it certainly became a much better option although I wouldn't be able to share more recent projects as those are still active.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I love ENSCAPE

I only wish it has "moving stuff" ... people, cars

for the rest .... ENSCAPE "ROCKS" !!! :love: :* 8o 8) :thumbup: :!: <3

here is a last years project made in REVIT and ENSCAPE

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Did anyone else see Epic's announcement regarding TwinMotion pricing? FREE for commercial users under $1M annual revenue. Certainly not asking Enscape to give away the software (surely as a loss leader, in Epic's case), but let's hope is keep pricing pressure on the crowded market for visualization software.

New Twinmotion pricing is coming soon!
    Starting late April, there is a new pricing and licensing model coming to Twinmotion. Find out ALL the details of what it means for you.
    www.twinmotion.com

• Did anyone else see Epic's announcement regarding TwinMotion pricing? FREE for commercial users under $1M annual revenue. Certainly not asking Enscape to give away the software (surely as a loss leader, in Epic's case), but let's hope is keep pricing pressure on the crowded market for visualization software.

https://www.twinmotion.com/en-…ion-pricing-in-late-april

Already free with revit.

• Already free with revit.

Yes. But there's still a sizable market for other 3D modeling software. And a TON of freelancers and even small businesses that fall under the $1M revenue stipulation. At this point, I can see it becoming the de facto rendering software with SketchUp and plenty of other modeling software.

Maybe the largest draw will be students & the education sector. Get them started and trained in TM and it's going to be much easier for Epic to keep those users for longer.

• Ill post a comment i left on the D5 similar thread yesterday:

I … just paid for my D5 pro subscription within the last month ;)

I, also, just migrated from enscape. I find D5 superior in quality to both twinmotion and enscape but the difference is not great. Enscape still has superior live sync but its render quality is slightly worse. Twinmotion was about equal to enscape in quality but in a different lower quality way of pros and cons. Twinmotion does not have live sync although it does have a manual sync option. D5 has live sync but its still slightly buggy/not worked out. Ease of use goes to enscape (and has some nice options like standalone export an vr). The best quality goes to D5 imo of the 3. D5 is also far cheaper than enscape but wont be to twinmotion when it goes free in late april.

For the space mouse, i simply use it it from my native software and since it syncs to D5, its not an issue. I prefer to do more of my work in the native software and use my render software for… rendering.

• I've switched to D5 Render after using Enscape for a year and a half. Here are my reasons:

1. Animated Figures and Vehicles: D5 allows easy integration, adding realism to scenes.
    2. Better Video Editor: D5’s video editor is more user-friendly than Enscape’s.
    3. Cost: D5 Render is significantly cheaper.

However, D5 Render takes up to 50% longer to render scenes or videos than Enscape, likely due to my older RTX 2070. Despite this, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for my non-production needs.

• One year after my original post I am still with D5 Render. I am on their monthly plan which is reasonably priced. I am currently using a RTX 4070 ti Super and my experience using it is.....super. Enscape's updates over the past year have been minuscule in comparison to D5 Render. My only real complaint of D5 Render is the awkward quality of many of the animated walking and running characters. However, I use them sparingly and at a distance. The reasons I originally stated for switching to D5 Render are stronger than ever along with multiple other improvements and upgrades. I would still enjoy seeing Enscape seriously upgrade their product but I no longer concern myself with that.