Enscape vs Lumion

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Can anyone tell me benefits of Enscape vs. Lumion...

Planting has been easy for us in Lumion, but I am skeptical of Enscapes benefit for planting.

Our current workflow models in sketchup and plants in Lumion...

Is this workflow a bust for Enscape? If we were to try Enscape, would all planting need to be done in sketchup

Thank you,

J

• With the upcoming version (v2.4, in a few days) we will introduce the Enscape Asset Browser to improve Enscape's capabilities on planting vegetation, people and various other scene models. We will start with a rather small collection (~100 models) but it will increase quickly.

• jrohrer A big difference between Enscape vs. Lumion you will find, if you look, which kind of reflection are available. Lumion supports three kind of reflections. If I understand right, Enscape supports something like the speedray reflections of Lumion only. It' good to know that this is a hard limit without workaround per planar/cube reflections. Also, not all objects of a scene are shown at the reflections. Doe's Lumion reduce the objects at reflections too?

If I look through the Lumion gallery, than the GI lighting of some images doesn't looks so nice realistic like at Enscape.

Lumion seems to be more matured, but the price is very high. Enscape is a young engine for a good price.

• The reflection difference is more a question of usability philosophy: We do not want to bother users with the choice of which reflection algorithm to choose per surface. It is "everything should look as good a possible by default" vs "By default, it looks like a cartoon but you can tune it with a bunch of options".

We will continue to improve the completeness and quality of our reflections, so we're convinced that this is the right path to go.

• Intefgrated with SKP, faster to render your scene. Easy material editor. Lumion has the animated objects that are easy to place. Render times are high once you start to add all the effects needed to make it look good. For my money, I would use Enscape over Lumion. I hate having to go into a seperate app to do something and have to deal with import export issues. That's why my main tools are 3ds MAX and vray. When I need to generate quick animations I use Enscape.

• The reflection difference is more a question of usability philosophy: We do not want to bother users with the choice of which reflection algorithm to choose per surface. It is "everything should look as good a possible by default" vs "By default, it looks like a cartoon but you can tune it with a bunch of options".

We will continue to improve the completeness and quality of our reflections, so we're convinced that this is the right path to go.

As long as the final client don't ask why something looks totally wrong it can be a question of philosophy. At the moment we have the "looks like cartoon" effect for reflections in some situations without a workaround. In this situation the advanced user should be able dive in advanced options and enable special reflection mapping types. So, the result could be nearly perfect looking without to bother the not advanced user. My hope is, if the needed quality can't be reached by additional reflection types, that the mysterious RTX will help in the future. ;)

• I never used Lumion in school as I wasn't a fan of the overall output aesthetic. I had the VRay plug in which was fine then, and is what I use now, but I don't like the time I spend in post-render photoshopping the image.

I worked in Lumion some at an office where I interned and while I appreciate that the placement of entourage and control of environment was user friendly and kept our Revit Models less cluttered with those features, it was aggravating to have to update the Revit model, save, re-link, etc. I also found the multiple reflection options to be unnecessary and agree with the "everything should look as good as possible by default", as I am now a sole practitioner and do not really have time to fiddle with settings that do not yield outcomes worth the time it takes to achieve them.

A former colleague who spent many hours working in Lumion put me onto Enscape. I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to the expanded asset library. It is also far more affordable than Lumion, and the real-time updating in the model reflected in the Enscape window are invaluable to making minor changes prior to spending the time to output an image.

My favorite feature of Enscape is the ability to quickly change the time of day in the Viewer and how well Enscape engages artificial lighting in the model. This is something that frustrated me endlessly with the native Revit rendering engines, VRay, etc. as lighting fixtures seemed to have too much you had to do to get the desired effect.

My only gripe with Enscape (and this may be because I haven't used it enough to know) is that when I set a view in Revit, it is very exact in its size and scope of the view, and I wish Enscape would automatically detect the pixel width and height of the image rather than trying to assign a ratio in the Enscape Settings.

If time is of little concern to you, you might find expanded settings in Lumion or other rendering engines helpful, but time is a serious factor for me and I either don't care for or cannot afford 3rd party visualization services as of now. I'm pleased with the program and glad I did not go with Lumion.

Edit: I just realized this was under SketchUp, not Revit. But I think much of the post still applies - sorry about that!

• I got my lumion license a couple weeks ago. ( ialso use Vray/corona with max) Enscape is realtime and Lumion use GPU to render....It could take from few seconds to few minutes to render one image... The asset library is over 5000 objects but to me the only ones with decent quality are vegetation/people/animals....Furniture are not very good...Lumion is expensive but I still like it.

To me the value of Enscape is during schematic design/design development to visualize my design in realtime and see it thru those vr-Glasses .....good tool to sell your project and chat with clients in front of the computer.

Lumion- If I don't have much time and I need decent still renderings and animation.

Vray/Corona ...after use both previous renderings and I need high-end visuals.

These images were done in Lumion. (1st time using it)

• In terms of the nature of the rendering engine LUMION is baking rendering, ENSCAPE real-time ray tracing is rendering, look at the rendering quality is better than LUMION ENSCAPE, particularly in the close shot of industrial products, indoor and outdoor building small scene on the expression of more real, and the advantage of LUMION first is his contains a large number of after finishing effect good plant material, such as the big rich can quickly outdoor scene. Simply put, the farther away LUMION is, the better, and the closer ENSCAPE is

• As an old, experienced architecture modeller, designer and renderer - I believe that description "semi-automatic" for ENSCAPE 3D stands completely! and you render in your native "weapon"/program, as a plugin contribution... Using 10+ different renderers in the past - I found that certain simplification of Enscape Team is very fast and smooth, without quality compensation. it makes production of "final rendering" time FEW TIMES faster than other tools, enabling you to fill the model/scene with additional assets/detail as a contribution to "immediate viewer impression task"...
    My vote(s) go for Enscape rather than Lumion!!!