VR - Quality of render /System Requirement recommendation

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hey Guys,

I have question regarding quality on the exported VR exe. Essentially does the quality experienced in VR, scale/improve with the power of the machine. We are upgrading the office VR machine, and I just want to make sure that getting a powerful gpu (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 or similar) will do the job.

The two items we want to improve is;

• minimise black boxes when looking around quickly,
    • quality of resolution of geometry in the middle/far distance >100m

So,

1. Is there any particular system requirement recommendations to get the absolute best performance in enscape VR? Is the Geforce GTX 1080 the best man for the job? Will improving anything else help, memory etc?
    2. Am i right in assuming the quality of export setting also need to be taken into account. A higher quality setting, will improve resolution, but increase lag/delay when looking around.

We are working on huge federated models of stadiums, the exports are approaching 1gb, so i realize performance is always going to be an issue.

Thanks for help,

Nick

• Official Post

Hi Nick,

yes a powerful gpu is the most important component for VR performance. A Nvidia GTX1080 will do a pretty good job, however depending on your budget you might want to consider even a GTX1080ti or Titan XP for the task.

The black boxes that appear on your view's periphery are an indicator that Enscape doesn't manage to reach the required frame rate and therefore there's image information missing to display the correct view. Depending on the VR HMD you're using please make sure you've got the correct settings applied, as described on our knowledge base page.

Keep in mind that some of Enscape's Setting do have a major effect on the framerate:
    If lighting quality is not your major concern make sure you have disabled Global Illumination and probably reduce the render quality to medium.

Other things to consider to improve the VR performance:

• If it's not absolutely required to navigate the complete project in one go, you might want to consider activating a section box for the area of interest.
    • Lots of artificial lights are also a drag on your performance - so when there're thousands of lights in your project and if you're doing daylight reviews anyway you might want to remove/hide your light fixtures in Revit (you can setup a specific view for that and select this view in Enscape)

The rendering resolution however is given by the VR HMD you're using - so there's unfortunately nothing that we're able to do in regard to that. It is expected that the next genereation of VR HMDs will have much better resolution displays so there will be less aliasing/screendoor effect.

• Thanks for fast response Clemens,

• Ok I will look into those more powerful GPU. Am i right in assuming enscape can only utilise one? So doubling them up is out of question.
    • I did not know that VR settings page existed, so will check how i have it setup.
    • I will continue to try experiment with; GI and lights. I've tried section box, but generally because stadium has a massive space in middle, only having half of model becomes very obvious, very quickly.
    • Ahhh well its good to know the resolution issue is just the limit of the technology. I believe HTC headset is currently the best, so not much luck there.

One more random question for you, I have noticed that the desktop window is linked to the VR output, I was trying to minimise the display window, in the hopes that it would relieve the pc of rendering display twice. But if you minimise the Enscape window, the headset output goes white. So i was wondering, if there was anything to be gained by either making the display window tiny, to reduce doubling up, or alternatively make it full-screen if its mirroring it.

• Official Post

Ok I will look into those more powerful GPU. Am i right in assuming enscape can only utilise one? So doubling them up is out of question.

That's correct. As of now Enscape only utilizes one gpu.

I did not know that VR settings page existed, so will check how i have it setup.

If you use an HTC Vive and didn't have reprojection enabled you might gain a huge performance boost already! :)

So i was wondering, if there was anything to be gained by either making the display window tiny, to reduce doubling up, or alternatively make it full-screen if its mirroring it.

There's no gain in resizing/minimizing the window - as the mirroring on screen is the same image as the left eye of the HMD. So there's practically no additional rendering done.

• Official Post

Hi estaki ,

thanks for asking! Unfortunately more RAM won't help in this case. Also make sure you've got "async reprojection" activated in your SteamVR settings (see more here).

Other possible workarounds to squeeze out a little more performance are:

- Reduce the amount of visible geometry by activating a section box for your view only around the current area of interest

- If you have lot's of light fixtures - remove/filter them out in the project for VR

- Reduce quality to medium

Hope that helps! :)

• Do different lighting techniques effect render quality? For example, if an object is set to have a “self-illumination” material would it be more or less efficient than a light with an IES definition?

On a related note, if a light family in Revit has both a self illuminating material on the diffuser AND an IES file defining a light source, is enscape doing double the amount of necessary calculations?

Is there a difference between how IES lights and self-illumination material lights work when changing the time of day to night time?