Self illumination with texturemap

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • Hm, but that would make the rest of the surface (the non self illuminant part) transparent, which is not what I want.

I have a feeling that it would work by creating an 'illuminated' material a few mm above a 'base' material, but have you an image of what you are trying to achieve?

• Official Post

Hey Pixero , which CAD software are you using? Further, how do you imagine this masking texture import to function, through a dedicated separate material editor, like the one provided for SketchUp, or through the main CAD software itself?

Any further feedback or suggestions regarding this feature request would be appreciated. ;)

• Hi Demian Gutberlet

maybe Pixero would like to get a layerd material like I miss from Vray. Here an example - the user can add reflection/emissive/diffuse/refraction layer like he want and change the order by drag&drop. Each material layer has an own transparency channel. So, I could add a transparency map to the emissive layer so that only parts of the material are glowing. This layered material could be added through the Enscape material editor. The material layers acts from top to down.

The screenshots shows the layer structure of a material where I add a checker texture to the emitter layer.

Here a metallic carpaint: clearcoat+metall+diffuse

• I'm still confused what result you are looking to reproduce?

SU/Enscape Materials have layers for Texture, Tint, Self illumination, Transparency, Bump and Reflection. I'm sure that there was/is a wishlist item for applying a true greyscale mask to the emissive layer so that it would change the intensity according to the underlying mask value (rather than on/off B&W)

It would also be nice to add a similar mask to the Tint layer rather than having it a uniform tint - this way a 'grime' layer could be added to some materials and you would be able to get really varied natural textures.

(And there is an item relating to applying a greyscale mask to the special "grass" texture that would link to it's height. It would also be really cool to apply one to the "water" texture that would link to the height and/or intensity of the waves so you could do shorelines etc.)

• Here an example from a project some weeks before. The wood parts should show a light effect like from milled letters at the backside and a light source behind (light through the thinned wood). Finally I used the offset surface method. Only there is a mapping bug, so that it was not right looking. At Vray layered materials I could create a single material with diffuse and emissive effect.

Here an other example

[Blocked Image: https://picture.uhren4you.de/picture/karlsson_wecker/KA5653DW.jpg]

• Hey Pixero , which CAD software are you using? Further, how do you imagine this masking texture import to function, through a dedicated separate material editor, like the one provided for SketchUp, or through the main CAD software itself?

Any further feedback or suggestions regarding this feature request would be appreciated. ;)

I'm using SketchUp.

As one example of how it could be used I have attached a small image of a ceiling with spotlights.

I imaging you would just add it like you add a bumpmap or other map.

• Micha: I would have never thought on back-lighting this sort of thing - my solution I would have been tried to shine a light on it from the outside (bat-signal style)... but currently that's tricky too.

Pixero: Personally I have modeled lights into a ceiling tile texture so that I can add light sources with the actual 'light' component, but I can see how your method would save time and be a quick way to give you the look without loads of geometry. :thumbsup:  

• Official Post

Gadget and Pixero , thank you both for the feedback. :) Be assured that it'll be forwarded to our developers in form of dedicated feature request!