General Information and Roadmap

• Functionality & Assets

With version 2.4 we introduced the Asset Library. The initial set contained people, vegetation and furniture, now with 2.5 you also have access to accessories, vehicles and many more categories coming with time!

The Asset Library is (now) web-based, to keep your download time low. Some Assets also have different LODs (Level of Detail) to improve performance. You can search for Assets and mark up your favorites. Assets can be placed by selecting them with a click and place them by clicking again on the wanted location in your project!

Current Roadmap (May 2019)

Supply of Assets

With the v2.5 release we switched from the installer included library to a web-based library.

This way we're now able to constantly push the created assets to all of you and improve the quality of existing ones without requiring the installation of a dedicated Enscape update.

Upcoming Asset content

Expect more high quality assets to be included with every release, and with 2.6 specifically, a completely new dedicated category which will include billboards, traffic lights, street markings, barriers, street lamps, etc. so you can populate whole streets!

We, of course, still need your feedback about your actual needs of additional assets. So please use the poll and give us your opinions on new categories, or simply create a dedicated thread in the Asset Library section if you want to share any other further feedback with us.

Upcoming Features

Please use the poll about feature requests and give us your opinions regarding Upcoming Asset Library Features. If some particular feature is missing in the existing poll, simply create a post in the same thread.

Upcoming Asset content

We will constantly create new assets from now on. Expect more assets to be included with the next releases.

We plan to add more levels of detail for assets.

How will this work when:

We have placed an asset in our file ("asset 1") and Enscape pushes a better/newer version of "asset 1" through the online library

=I would expect nothing happens because the asset 1 would be saved in the file?

But: what happens when a user now places a new instance of "asset 1" by dragging it in from the asset browser

= Does Enscape also update the previously placed occurences of "asset 1" or do we now have two versions of Asset 1 in the file?

• Thanks for very usefull posts and introduction of the roadmap. It's great to have insight to the software development.

Please keep the EnscapeAssetID unchanged for old/updated assets and just add more assets(and respective enscapeassetid properties) in the future.

It will be extremely difficult to handle revit files and their rendering presentation if you mess up/change these important properties with new assets in the library.

• But: what happens when a user now places a new instance of "asset 1" by dragging it in from the asset browser

= Does Enscape also update the previously placed occurrences of "asset 1" or do we now have two versions of Asset 1 in the file?

I agree I often render multiple version of the same file/view etc. and this happens over time. I would not like to see a future render where I have placed an Enscape asset change to something different. IE: once an asset is released leave it alone and you will only add more assets and not change one or delete it.

• Pieter , some1new and Nvizeon , once an asset is "replaced", we really only adjust the level of detail or fix any cosmetic mistakes if there were any. This means that, for example, if you have trees in your project and we adjust the quality to make them look a bit better, they'll still maintain their overall structure and general appearance. So overall no huge changes which would influence your project too much.

If this is not to your liking at all, or you want to share some feedback alongside, please let me know.

There'll also be an updated Asset Library Roadmap soon so stay tuned for that! :)

• Hey Demian,

But what happens when we've placed the asset already in the project, you guys update that asset and them somebody drops in the asset from the Enscape library again. Do we now have 2 versions of the asset in the project? Or will it all be the same?

• Hey Demian,

But what happens when we've placed the asset already in the project, you guys update that asset and them somebody drops in the asset from the Enscape library again. Do we now have 2 versions of the asset in the project? Or will it all be the same?

It will be all the same. :) We'll just update the assets in the project and asset library - there won't be two versions since the second version would just have minimal adjustments (improved level of detail) or fixes in the geometry accordingly.

• And what if the Enscape asset team does edits to the placeholder geometry (or the family settings) instead of the underlying high poly rendering proxy.

For example:

- change the family to work plane based

- update the placeholder geometry with a lower poly one

If I have the asset already placed in a project and add it again from the Enscape asset library, will that update the placeholders/families of the assets already placed? Or will I need to delete all of them to get that update?

• Demian Gutberlet poke poke ;)

Pardon.

Technically it is not possible to easily remove the placeholder Revit models itself with an update for example - but, be assured that overall adjustments made to them will not occur that often. With 2.6 the visibility itself will be improved (+ performance optimizations), from there on there shouldn't be any major changes implemented any time soon. ;)

• Hi Damien,

What is the progress on allowing us to create our own assets that can be placed as proxies. One of the biggest issues with Archicad is the number of polygons required to get awesome renders out. Our Standard house models could be between 250k & 500k and then we put a dining room table model into the scene that has 750k and archicad starts complaining. Proxies are the only way to go but limiting us to only those supplied by Enscape is frustrating. Your plants are awesome but all the little items that you would fill a house out with are limiting. For example the library of objects I use numbers in the 100's. Granted I probably don't use them all but having the ability too would be great.

Maybe there would be a way to allow us to open just the model we want to create a proxie with and add a 'save proxie' command to enscape where it can save the element in the format used for proxies. All we would need is the created enscape asset ID which we could then place as a parameter in any object in archicad.

I know I simplify things a bit but this custom proxie feature is a must if you want to compete with TwinMotions library especially now that Archicad users are going to get the updated Twinmotion for free. I still feel your lighting output is miles ahead of Twinmotion (I will have to revisit this when their raytracing system becomes available) but their materials and objects are vast as it has the unreal libraries to call upon.

• I too would love to know how work on custom assets are comming along :-) The new assets are great, but no matter how many You provide, You will never be able to provide everything people need. Projects, firms and clients are vastly different, and we need to be able to differentiate what we do :-)

You guys already know the transmutr plugin for sketchup (that supports Enscape). Could a collaboration with them be a stepping stone in achieving custom imports?

At our office we are about to start work on an all new render library, and knowing how proxies will work for enscape in the future would be extremely helpful for us in that work! :-)

• Gavin Pendergrast and Herbo , thanks for all the constructive feedback.

All I can currently say is that adding the functionality of adding your own Assets in general, or as proxies, is quiet demanded on our agenda and it's also something we want to implement, so it should only be a matter of time. I'll definitely add your further feedback to the topic on our agenda for our developers to see! Herbo , regarding the collaboration with transmutr, I'll also forward this to our developers as a suggestion. :)

• Hi Demian,

In my experience I find the Asset Library so useful I am relying on it almost exclusively for my entourage needs. As it grows and includes more asset categories I see little need for outside entourage components.

I do not recall a situation where asset and/or component changes have affected my workflow, but I use SketchUp Pro all the time, perhaps this is more of an issue with other platforms. That said, I find ongoing asset performance optimization more relevant than finer detail, only because most of my work is master planning so the overall picture is more important to me that close up features.

This brings us to another though; high-level vs low-level asset detail (and perhaps this has already been discussed elsewhere)

Perhaps in the future the asset library may showcase a specific category for low-level of detail/high performance assets specifically created for master planning or high-level urban planning, like generic buildings, clusters of trees or tree canopies, very low poly people or crowds, parking lot striping or top deck garage parking and streetscape elements intentionally designed to be seen from afar or elevated bird's eye POV.

And since we are on the topic, a few nice looking clouds that could be positioned/scaled at will would be nice. Bird's eye views looking through an opening in the clouds without having to Photoshop those cloud effects in Post would be very cool!:)

• I've got a 25" deep counter and want to place the Desk Utensils asset into my model. It's 29" deep. I can't edit it to reposition any elements. How about making the individual pieces available instead of the whole 4-piece combo? It would also be nice to have options for color for vehicles so that you can have different colors of the same vehicle. It's tedious to simulate a parking lot this way.

• I've got a 25" deep counter and want to place the Desk Utensils asset into my model. It's 29" deep. I can't edit it to reposition any elements. How about making the individual pieces available instead of the whole 4-piece combo? It would also be nice to have options for color for vehicles so that you can have different colors of the same vehicle. It's tedious to simulate a parking lot this way.

I'll forward your feedback - thank you very much. :)