Different Lighting

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • Hello,

We're creating an option for our client to have a timber roof on the deck (see 1st pic)

When I hide the timber roof to show the view with out it, I noticed that the lighting on the interior changes and gets darker (white wall & interior timber frame)

The settings are all the same between the two images

The Skecth-Up View is the same, I'm only selecting the timber roof & hiding it.

There's one independent point light in the interior (I made sure it's not hiding with the Timber roof.

I'm using a skybox, no changes between views

Using Ultra settings

No depth of field.

The file place has an Emissive material

Why's that happening and how can I fix it?

1- Image with Timber roof option (color is correct)

2- Image w/o Timber roof (colors are wrong different

• It’s auto exposing, there’s more light coming from the outside without the roof so it’s automatically lowered the exposure ‘for the whole scene’ to compensate.

You could try turning off auto exposure in the settings and adjusting the value to suit both setups.

• Paul Russam, thank you!

That worked like a charm, and was easier than I thought.

But now this begs the question, what's the point or correct use of 'auto exposure'?

I also noticed that how sensitive it is when adjusting the exposure manually.

This also made Enscape start & run a bit faster (since there are no exposure calculations every time)

• what's the point or correct use of 'auto exposure'?

I'm not the best to ask as I tend to throw settings at things and stop when it looks ok.

You're very close to the doors in that view, you may want to try turning AE back on and back up a bit so there's more of the room (less of the sky) in the shot, the exposure will be better/more balanced and you can always crop the rendered still after.

When I'm setting up shots for my DTP colleagues I set up what 'I' think is a good shot and then back up a bit before saving the scene, this way they can crop the resulting render down in Indesign to what they 'need' for their compositions.

• But now this begs the question, what's the point or correct use of 'auto exposure'?

To me it is mostly convenience setting.. Works very well in outside views which is my majority. As well works well if You want to use one settings for many different time views and angles. We used to think that whole day is the same bright gets a bit dark in the twilight and them is dark.. There is a whole spectrum. without auto-expose if You adjust your shadow settings then You will have to change your expose settings too. Aspecially evening conditions where even 1 minute difference makes it visibly darker or brighter. Even rotating view from brighter to darker side of building will make it look over exposed on manual setting..
    So I usually leave it on, absolutely on when I am still on adjusting my views.. and change to manual if something doesn't work out. Similar with auto-contrast though this one is by default off.

Usually need to go too manual only on interior and night views.

• Official Post

what's the point or correct use of 'auto exposure'

Auto exposure works great for example if you are just trying to navigate between indoor and outdoor perspectives, without having to constantly adjust the exposure manually. On top of that it also boils down to final preferences so for example in the renderings you've shared the interior area may be a bit darker, but as a trade-off the sky is not overblown in terms of exposure.

In many cases further fine-tuning the exposure after you found a good perspective is recommended though and what most of our users do for their final renderings.

Hence the correct use is basically being aware that auto exposure can only estimate the value based on what it "sees" currently on screen - From that point you can then add those final touches and make sure they are saved in your settings.