Can Enscape be used with the Meta Quest?

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
    • Official Post

The Meta Quest or Meta Quest is frequently reported to work well in combination with Enscape. While we do not offer official support for either device yet, you should still be able to make use of these headsets using our latest recent release(s).

Afterward you can decide if you wish to go wireless or connect the device with a cable to your machine.

For any further specific questions don't hesitate to reach out to us via a Forum thread as well.

• Official Post

Hey BarryFishFinger ,

ordered the Quest 3, next week I should be able to tell you if it works for me. :) Of course this can't replace an official announcement, but it should give us a first preview.

• I don't know about official support, but I have it running with AirLink on 5Ghz network and it works pretty well.

Which model of the Quest 3 do you have? Also, can you share the specs of the PC you are using? I am looking at making the purchase as well.

We have the HTC Vive Original and HTC Vive Wireless Pro setup too using steam, etc. I am looking for a mobile friendly setup and Oculus looks very appealing for that reason.

How large of models are you able to use with it?

• Official Post

Hey, sorry for the delay here - same experience as Emmett , it works alright for me with AirLink. Laptop has a RTX 3090 built in. My quest has 512 gb, but that shouldn't make any difference. This has nothing to do with official support, but in my personal experience it's working great.

• It doesn't matter at all which Quest 3 model you have, the 128gb vs 512gb versions just refer to local storage.

What could matter for your experience with AirLink though, is WiFi speed. Make sure you're at least using a 5Ghz wifi, and if you can, cable up the PC.

If you need to upgrade your wifi anyway, make sure to go all the way to WiFi 6E as it gives you some extra bandwidth especially if you're in an environment with a lot of congestion on the 5Ghz band.

• Thanks for the update Kaj Burival and Emmett - good to know the Quest 3 works.

I got the Quest 2 in the end, didn't have the budget for the 3 as it turned out. Quest 2 seems to be working really well - at one point I did have a few issues with Steam VR crashing/partially crashing though, which seemed to completely screw up the Enscape VR display (flickering, glitching, half the screen not displaying etc). Updated the GPU drivers, reinstalled Steam VR, restarted etc and touch wood it all seems to be playing nicely now.

So yeah - Enscape in VR is incredibly immersive! This is my first foray into proper VR and it really puts you in the space which is great. The Quest 3 will provide a nice upgrade route in due course.

Couple of questions though, if anyone knows;

1) One of my models, in walk mode the camera feels too low to the ground. Model is to scale and spectator height is set to 1.75m and its not an issue in other models, just this one feels a bit like I'm at child height!

2) Any option to change the control bindings to have the left thumbstick on move and the right thumbstick on rotate? Would make for a more intuitive way to fine tune movement through the space. Although the teleport option works really well and avoids motion sickness.

• In regards to SteamVR, I had a lot better performance without it. I haven't tested on my Quest 2, but I would expect it to work just as fine without SteamVR as the Quest 3 does. Give it a try - simply just close SteamVR/Steam, have the Oculus application running and have your headset linked to your computer. Now click the HMD option and the Quest simply boots into Enscape. This killed all my performance issue I've had since v3.5 came out.

For 1 and 2, I'm no help there! So I guess I just answered a question you didn't ask... ?

• In regards to SteamVR, I had a lot better performance without it. I haven't tested on my Quest 2, but I would expect it to work just as fine without SteamVR as the Quest 3 does. Give it a try - simply just close SteamVR/Steam, have the Oculus application running and have your headset linked to your computer. Now click the HMD option and the Quest simply boots into Enscape. This killed all my performance issue I've had since v3.5 came out.

For 1 and 2, I'm no help there! So I guess I just answered a question you didn't ask... ?

Ah, ok - I'll give it a go, thanks! The first time I ran it I hit the 'headset' button in Enscape and Steam VR opened on its own so I assumed it was required to run.

• Which model of the Quest 3 do you have? Also, can you share the specs of the PC you are using? I am looking at making the purchase as well.

We have the HTC Vive Original and HTC Vive Wireless Pro setup too using steam, etc. I am looking for a mobile friendly setup and Oculus looks very appealing for that reason.

How large of models are you able to use with it?

Oh, sorry - missed your question first round.

I'm using the Quest 3 512gb, but it's the same as the 128gb as mentioned further up - it's just the local storage space on the device, so don't worry about that. Enscape is streaming through the AirLink so I don't expect anything of significance to be stored on the device itself.

I'm using a Razer Blade 14 (Model no. RZ09-0370CNA3 to be exact) with a AMD R9 5900HX CPU, GeForce RTX 3080 for GPU and 16 GB of RAM. Hardware wise it's pretty good, but please don't ever buy Razer. The graphic card fried once and after just 1,5 year I'm daily being reminded that the battery will explode any day by the fact that it's pressing hard against the track pad so it's not working anymore -_-

The Meta Quest 2 and 3 is a completely different experience compared to the wired counter parts. In my opinion Enscape should drop support for these dated headsets and give better support for the Quest headsets. Especially considering the great AR capabilities of the Quest 3 (and soon Apples Vision Pro) - imagine walking around on the build site in the house and enjoy the ACTUAL view out of the windows. This is my dream! :) We just need to get Kaj Burival and the rest of the team to share that vision :D

For model size, I'm just running a small model of a mere 150mb.

• Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but is anyone running the new HTC Vive XR Elite through Viveport/Steam/Enscape successfully? We are considering upgrading our Vive Cosmos to the XR Elite. We have never had any issues running the cosmos through steam/viveport with Enscape. Just trying to get some verbal confirmation from the forum before pulling the trigger on the new headset.

• Just a quick update:

• Confirmed that Steam VR is not required. As long as the headset is confirmed as linked with the Oculus app and Quest link is active (either via the link cable or via Airlink), hit the VR button in Enscape and it loads in the Quest nice and quickly.
    • I've been testing for any differences in quality between Airlink and link cable - I can't really see any in terms of visual quality/resolution etc, but it does appear that the link cable provides a slightly more stable connection.
    • I wasn't aware of this, but the laptop needs to be connected to the power otherwise Oculus can't handle it. I assume when running on battery the laptop is defaulting to the onboard graphics which doesn't meet the minimum VR specs rather than the RTX 4090; despite changing this behaviour in the Nvidia settings and windows settings the issues remains - so I'll just have to ensure that whenever I go on site for VR presentations there is available power. Might require me to add a lightweight cable reel to the VR bag!

Generally working really well though. I will say the resolution in the headset is perhaps marginally worse in Enscape than it appears to be in other PCVR applications (general Steam VR environments for example), however I'm not sure if this is an Enscape thing or just a limitation of the Quest 2 resolution. But for the most part, your brain adjusts well enough and you start seeing the space as 'real' to all intents and purposes.

I've also tried some of my 3D models in Twinmotion, just for comparative purposes. I would say the VR experience in Enscape is vastly superior to Twinmotion in terms of lighting/materials and performance so that's great - well done Enscape Team! Twinmotion does have some cool features though like being able to drag and drop materials onto surfaces within the VR interface, or set rotators to animate opening doors as the camera approaches etc Demian Gutberlet & Kaj Burival any plans in the dev pipeline to look at this sort of functionality within Enscape?

• Hi everyone

i just get the Quest 3 and try to connect to Enscape but couldn't ...

İ think the software for Oculus 3 to connect directly to Enscape is not available or i dont know how to handle . İ tried all the suggestions written in the forums but I was not successful

Even though I installed Meta Quest Remote Desktop and Oculus apk for windos i couldnt succeed.

Has anyone ever managed to connect the quest 3 to Enscape ?

My Operating system :

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz

RAM 32,0 GB

Sistem 64 bit

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 16gb

iam waiting for your support . Thanks

MSG

• Kaj Burival has confirmed that his Quest 3 works with Enscape (see above), its not official confirmation of support but it does show that it should be feasible.

Probably I would uninstall everything and then reinstall using the steps on the Oculus website, so theoretically the process would be:

1. Set up the Quest 3 headset using the mobile app: https://www.meta.com/en-gb/hel…h-quest-3/set-up-quest-3/
    2. Download the PC app to your computer - Quest 3 set up looks to have the same process as the Quest 2 set up: https://www.meta.com/en-gb/hel…onnect-link-with-quest-2/
    3. Make sure your link cable is USB 3 and is plugged into a USB 3 port on your PC, make sure the headset is found and active in the Oculus app.
    4. Activate Quest link via the headset, in system settings (here you can choose to connect via either the link cable or Air Link).
    5. Make sure the Oculus app is open and running, then open your 3D model (Sketchup or whatever)
    6. Open Enscape, hit the VR button and it should load straight in to the headset through Quest link.

Hopefully you can get it working!

• Official Post

additionally to what BarryFishFinger said, please also make sure the "Unknown Sources" option in your Oculus software is enabled. That way it should work fine with Enscape.

• Demian Gutberlet

Changed the title of the thread from “Can Enscape be used with the Meta Quest (2)?” to “Can Enscape be used with the Meta Quest?”.