"Creating Custom .SKP Assets in the Asset Library"

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape (including installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here. Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hello,

I've been exploring the potential of integrating custom .SKP assets into the Enscape Asset Library, especially for models that have undergone modifications using tools like Skimp/Transmutr and then saved as .SKP files. It appears that the current functionality of the custom asset library in Enscape primarily revolves around importing the original asset files in formats such as .gltf, .obj, or .fbx.

As I frequently need to adapt and customize assets before incorporating them into my models, I'm wondering if there's a current method or a plan in an upcoming release that would allow the inclusion of custom .SKP assets directly into the Enscape Asset Library.

I have an extensive collection of custom .SKP assets that would greatly benefit from being accessible in the Enscape Asset Library, and I'm eager to know if this integration is on the horizon or if there are any workarounds available.

Thank you for any insights or information on this matter.

• Official Post

Hey juditrjones , welcome to the Enscape forums!
    What exactly is the reason you'd like to include skp files in your custom asset library?
    Is it to multi-place them more easily? Or is it to show them with less detail in your SketchUp scene?
    There's the option to link skp files to placeholder cubes in your scene, are you aware of that? Maybe this helps already?

• Hey juditrjones , welcome to the Enscape forums!
    What exactly is the reason you'd like to include skp files in your custom asset library?
    Is it to multi-place them more easily? Or is it to show them with less detail in your SketchUp scene?
    There's the option to link skp files to placeholder cubes in your scene, are you aware of that? Maybe this helps already?

I know for my workflow in SKP- I run obtained high poly OBJ/FBX files through Transmutr (or Skimp) and create my own SKP models with them (lower poly, custom materials, edits, etc). As juditrjones said, Enscape's Custom Asset Library "import" option excludes SKP models. I only now realize there is the "Linked Model" button as you have shown to get my models imported quickly as proxy's, which will work. I suppose what I'm really after is a single pane of glass, so to speak, to visually view all of my assets custom available. Better yet, if Enscape could apply a different proxy "shape" instead of the clear wire frame to these proxies via "linked models."

• if Enscape could apply a different proxy "shape" instead of the clear wire frame to these proxies via "linked models."

I have a bucket load of bed, sofa etc and like you the simple wireframe cube isn’t good enough, what I do is create as simple a shape as possible that represents the bed/sofa with the correct length/width/height/shape and then edit the wireframe component replacing the wires with the simple shape.

I then save this simple poly to the same folder as the original hi-poly one.

My usual naming structure would be something like:

• Bed01-mat01-fullgeometry.skp (the original hi-poly model)
    • Bed01-mat01.skp (the simple proxy model)

Material variations of the same bed will get mat02, mat03 etc

And a new bed will get Bed02, Bed03 etc.

Essentially the process is “I like that bed but can it have green pillows” at which point I copy the fullgeometry model, rename it next in the mat sequence, edit it, save it and then in a new SU model; insert a previous version’s proxy, re-link the proxy to the new bed edit it to have the simple geometry and right-click/save as to create the new simple proxy. (Sounds long/complex but isn’t, if anything it’s tedious)

• And this goes to show that value in this industry is not simply "rendering talent" but being able to manage and create asset libraries in a highly efficient manner. Something that's not plainly apparent from an outside perspective. I'm hopeful Enscape keeps plugging away at improving these tool sets - keeps me using the software exclusively and makes my job a lot less chaotic (or tedious, at times).