New Enscape User - Bit of clarity required...

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi All

I'm new here, but have been using Sketchup on a Mac to draw and render commercially for a long time.

I have just acquired an M2 Max Macbook with the specific aim of running Enscape within Sketchup to streamline the render process into my drawing workflow.

Having downloaded the free trial of Enscape and starting to watch tutorial videos to get up to speed on it I was shocked to find the materials library is not available to Mac users. I have been creating my own textures for almost every job I do anyway, so I don't need advice on how to get textures into Enscape, but what I do want to know is when this functionality will be implemented into Enscape for Mac?

All of the replies and stuff I have read on here so far are very vague, and non-commital. It doesn't look good to a new customer at all, and doesn't really inspire me to invest in Enscape after the free trial period. Apologies if this is clearly posted elsewhere, but as a new customer I can't even work out if this function will be included in the next update either.

So, please can we clarify, for me and other new potential customers what is happening here. I am at a point where I am contemplating other render options if I can't find a solid answer fairly quickly.

Aside from that, it seems amazing, and I would very much like to invest and make Enscape my next render software!

• Official Post

Hey Rob L , thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Forums!
    To answer your question as briefly and commital as possible: The Enscape Material Library will not be included in this current release for SketchUp on Mac, but for example we've added the missing light objects compared to the Windows version.

We are aiming for feature parity between the Mac and Windows versions over the course of the first half of next year, releasing features incrementally until then. I hope this makes sense and helps you making the necessary decisions. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Thanks for the replies. I know things are not always as simple as they might seem to the outside viewer, but if the material assets exist for the Windows version then they must be in a format that the Mac version can load in and use too, just like the ones on the free texture websites. Perhaps there's an issue implementing the library as a button into the software itself, but surely the actual resources should be available in a folder that I can download and make use of if I want to - especially if I'm expected to pay the same licence cost as a Windows user?

This could be a very quick interim fix, although I do agree that 9 months (with no guarantee that that won't change and take even longer) is a long time to be charging the Mac user a full price for without even offering access to the assets in a different way.

I'm not trying to create an argument for the sake of it, but this is my perception as a new potential customer, and I dare say I won't be the only one thinking this about Enscape. The bigger picture is the long term use of Enscape - if it takes so long to implement this just to get it up to what most users would consider a basic minimum expectation of functionality, how long will any changes/Windows parity updates take to appear in the future?

I don't want or need a million fancy new functions and updates every month to justify the cost, but I do need to know that in commiiting to Enscape I'm making a choice that is at least supported almost as much as the Windows version.

• Hey Rob L , thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Forums!
    To answer your question as briefly and commital as possible: The Enscape Material Library will not be included in this current release for SketchUp on Mac, but for example we've added the missing light objects compared to the Windows version.

We are aiming for feature parity between the Mac and Windows versions over the course of the first half of next year, releasing features incrementally until then. I hope this makes sense and helps you making the necessary decisions. Let me know if you have any questions!

Wait, what!? I thought that this next major release (which was originally due at the end of August, then pushed to the end of September, and which has now been delayed a couple more weeks) would be a parity release??? Now you're saying it will take another year to reach PC/Mac parity!? WHY ISN'T THERE ANY TRANSPARENCY FROM ENSCAPE!?

Alexander Devaykin  Demian Gutberlet what is the real story here?

• Official Post

Hey suguru , please have some patience with us. The real story here is that software development is a hard to predict, constantly changing task - especially on two operating systems at the same time - and we really can't just copy what works on Windows and paste it onto Mac. We're working hard to improve our ways to maintain both Mac and Windows together, but this, too, takes time. For now, we can offer Enscape for Mac on SketchUp, Archicad and Vectorworks, on the level of a few Windows releases back, with Rhino soon to follow, by the way on the same license that you can use Enscape on both Mac and Windows machines with. We're doing our best to predict when a feature will be released, but we also don't want to give reason for false expectations. That's what I think may come across as not enough transparency. But be assured all of us want to deliver the best experience for all Enscape users as soon as possible.

• Kaj Burival, I fully understand that software development is a constantly moving target—I have been on multiple teams and helped develop multiple software products so I have empathy for the development process. My issue is with the lack of transparency from Enscape combined with the willingness to charge its non-parity Mac users the full cost of the PC version while also misleading its users. Heck, take all the time you want to bring the Mac platform up to speed, but don't charge your users for it until the two programs are on par, and don't give us false dates and expectations that keep leading us on. And please don't turn around and blame that on your users. All of your Mac users are currently paying for the development of Mac—so be honest with them, inform, enlist, and educate them, or don't be surprised when they turn on you.

• This is the ONLY place I have seen ANY information about the lack of parity between the two platforms. Hidden at the very bottom of your FAQ page which has to be expanded. And it is vague at best. This is not Transparency! "Some differences"? There is a WORLD of differences!

"While our latest Escape version for Mac currently has some differences compared to the Windows version, our developers are actively working to bridge these gaps. We are on track to achieve feature parity sometime in the first half of 2024."

https://enscape3d.com/enscape-for-mac/