Enscape Custom Assets & Materials

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi ALl,

I have recently purchase a bedroom setup within CG trader and downloaded the appropriate .obj files. Ive opened the custom asset editor and imported the geometry. Now all i need to do is bring in the materials. ive extracted the RAR file with materials but they are seperated down into many different materials for all the various objects which make up the asset. But i can only see one material which a material can be assigned to. Is there something im missing here or do i need to use an additional program to assign the materials to each individual surface?

• Go to Best Answer
    • Official Post

hey spacedcd , welcome to the forums!
    Without knowing this asset myself, all the materials applied to the model should be contained in the .obj file and be selectable in the Enscape Custom Asset Editor.

It looks to me as if there's only one material contained in the .obj file - you can probably verify that by opening the .obj file with any other 3d solution. It looks like you may want to ask the provider of the model for further assistance - I don't think they expect you to assign the materials on the model from scratch. Maybe there's been a misunderstanding.

I hope this helps!

• Unfortunately many model providers have this issue with their .obj's, and you need to manually recreate and reassign the materials. Most of the model providers are only thinking about the 3ds max file, and maybe the .fbx. The .obj file usually gets little love.

• Best Answer

Happens to me a lot, it comes down to how well the original uploader prepped AND CHECKED what they exported. Sometimes they may only upload 1 format (fbx/max for example) and then it’s down to the host site (CGTrader/turbosquid etc) to make the other formats.

I’d say 60% of all the content I’ve ever downloaded has had materials screwed up of even non at all.

• Thanks Team for your response. its frustrating when you want to enhance your models with these additional assets such as those on Turbo Squid and CG trader. What do you all use to obtain external assets with the correct material mapping for enscape? Or what is your procedure for bringing in a asset which maybe hasnt had the correct mapping done?

• I don't use the Custom Assets at all, I have Transmutr which will import obj/fbx etc into SketchUp AND importantly allow me to reduce the poly count so I can get the best compromise between size and quality.

In Transmutr you can relink supplied material maps ... if the model isn't like you describe above,

Once imported into SU I'll rename materials to my liking, do all the usual Enscape stuff of shininess, bump etc etc and then save it as a proxyable standalone model.

Doing it this way, if I need a variation of the model (think bed with blue pillows > green pillows) it's a simple exercise of copying the bed model, changing its materials and saving for use.

https://lindale.io/transmutr

• Thanks Team for your response. its frustrating when you want to enhance your models with these additional assets such as those on Turbo Squid and CG trader. What do you all use to obtain external assets with the correct material mapping for enscape? Or what is your procedure for bringing in a asset which maybe hasnt had the correct mapping done?

We often need super specific pieces (typically furniture of a particular model and brand) so we need to source from different places. We get the most of our products on 3dsky because they tend to have the widest selection of brand furniture. Unfortunately, everyone can sell models on 3dsky so the quality isn't guaranteed. The models are typically prepared in 3ds max for use with vray or corona render. An .fbx or .obj will typically be included as well, but whether the materials are properly exported is another matter.

We prepare all our assets in Blender (a free and open source tool), so if materials are missing or broken, we fix it there.

We usually try to fix as much as possible in 3D Studio MAX. sometimes the materials are resolved by exporting to fbx instead of obj and then importing.