Anyone had this issue or know how to resolve

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
    • Official Post

We've had a look at the project internally and found the cause for the extremely long loading times, which will eventually abort, leading to the broken Gi lighting:

It's in fact a combination of two things in this scene:

• There are thousands of small model instances which are the different railing posts
    • There are more than two thousand light sources in the bar room

There's currently a code-path handling scene updates that can be extremely slow in such cases, which is responsible for the long loading time. I'm optimistic that we can optimize that to a large degree (I've managed to bring down the overall export & loading time to ~3minutes) and we can ship that fix in a future service pack.

In the meantime I'd recommend to rethink simulating the LED-stripes with thousands of individual disc lights. This approach not only affects the loading times, but also real-time rendering in general struggles with that many lights concentrated on a small area.

I'm not a Sketchup modeling expert, so I don't know if there's a good way to model the railings differently, so that not each post is exported as an individual instance. But in the end this is something users cannot really control well themselves, so we'll have to see if our CAD export developers can come up with some optimizations in that regard in the future.

• Hi Clemens Musterle

Thank you so much for coming back with these points, Demian gave me an update yesterday over email about the railing. This model is a Revit model brought in from the Architects, as I understand sadly Revit imports can do this where it makes them individual instead of one.

Regarding the disc lighting, I will have to review how I do the LED wash. Part of my reasoning for using this techniques is you get a lot more control and you don't end up with high/dark spots where with rectangle light you do. It also means I can do curved shapes and not just straight lines.

Out of interest, would there be an alternative solution you'd recommend for doing curved LED lighting, I need to find another way clearly, but not sure if there's a solution?

• Official Post

Out of interest, would there be an alternative solution you'd recommend for doing curved LED lighting, I need to find another way clearly, but not sure if there's a solution?

That's indeed a tricky problem to solve currently. If it's not crucial to have the LEDs light up their surrounding (e.g. on a day-time scene), I'd recommend to only use geometry with an emissive material. This unfortunately might introduce more noise in the Gi calculation, as the stripe is thin and the probability that a Gi ray will hit this geometry, is therefore low. You can reduce that noise by choosing a rather low emissive intensity value.

• alternative solution you'd recommend for doing curved LED lighting

Possible alternative:

https://www.tours.blockcpm.studio/percyplace/tour/

If you go into the Living area and look up at the ceiling there's a dropped area with concealed lighting, it's done with a self-illuminating material applied to the upper surface of the bit that sticks out.

If you go to Bed 2 there's an uplight bit behind the bed done in the same way (probably the same material if I remember) and in the Kitchen, there's lighting under the high-level cabinets done in the same way.

• Thanks Paul, I will be looking to try out some other methods, I think in the past when I'd tried it I got mixed results, but that was probably a couple of years ago so things have moved on, cheers for your input on the subject earlier, that material resize was good just for seeing what's massive and needs saving out smaller.

Out of interest, on your lovely resi projects, what size do you try to keep your materials so they're good quality without killing your machine, 2024x2024 or higher/lower or just a mix?

• I get most of my textures from here: https://www.sketchuptextureclub.com/textures and I think they're 3000ish.

For things like Sofa's from DesignConnected I'll use whatever they came with ..... unless they are stupidly big (4000+) in which case I'll resize them to suit. If it's a repeating fabric then there's not much point in it being much bigger than 1500-2000.

• Regarding LED strip lighting in Enscape - is there a light type that is the least resource intensive? Does it make a difference if I use an IES light versus disc light, etc? I've done the same thing (adding hundreds of small lights to better mimic the LED light source, used as lighting in a scene)

• Official Post

Regarding LED strip lighting in Enscape - is there a light type that is the least resource intensive? Does it make a difference if I use an IES light versus disc light, etc? I've done the same thing (adding hundreds of small lights to better mimic the LED light source, used as lighting in a scene)

On this scale it doesn't really matter what types of lights you use - it's primarily the sheer count. So if you can reduce the number of lights by half, by using rectangular/line lights instead of e.g. discs it will also simply half the computation/loading time in this particular case. While IES lights are theoretically a little more expensive to render in general (look-up of the IES profile for each shading operation), I would guess you will hardly notice an impact on your frame rate using them.

• Another example of using self-illuminating material: https://www.tours.blockcpm.studio/chubby-cherub/tour/

If you head down to the far end of the bar you'll find the underside of the bench seating along with the bar itself has under lighting, I think the bar was only about a 10mm wide strip on the underside of the white fascia that overhangs the gold kicker.

• Hi Paul, and just to confirm none of those LED effect strip lighting have any actual light on them, it's just an emissive material you've popped in? Only as I always pop in an emissive material to give the physical look of the LED if it's seen in a view, but I then used to add the disc light to then give a nice consistent wash of light

• Another example of self-illuminated:

The entire back face of this mirror is SI with the mirror 30mm off the wall.

That reminds me - are the emissive materials screen spaceonly in their effect?

I had it in my head this was the case, but I seem to get inconstant results during my testing where they appear not to be, then later down the line they will be again.