Lighting and shadows behaving differently after going back to update old renderings

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape (including installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here. Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi all,

I've been experiencing strange issues with my renderings when going back to update previously exported renderings. For example, the below image is what Enscape gave me when I exported a view 5 months ago (mid-May), and next to it is what Enscape gave me when I re-exported the view after updating my model:

Not only are the shadows brighter in general, but the interior spaces are more brightly lit and don't look as good in my opinion. I've checked the older version of the model and all of the settings in Enscape appear to be the same (environment settings, exposure, etc.). I'm aware that the sky is different (I'm not sure why this is either, but I was later able to approximate the old sky by fiddling with the cloud settings in Enscape), but this doesn't seem to be the cause of the issue.

My best guess is that Sketchup and/or Enscape were updated to a new version between now and when I exported the first image and there's some difference in how they render the same settings?

Any help or advice on how I can get my current model to better approximate the old image would be greatly appreciated, as this has been an ongoing problem when I update older models to reflect updated designs, only to have the renderings come out looking totally different.

Thanks!

P.S. I just remembered that I have another issue where some of my model components don't cast shadows in Enscape. Note the tree in the center of the right image, which isn't casting a shadow while the old tree component does. The components are both set to cast shadows in Sketchup Entity Info. Is this a known issue and is there a fix?

• Official Post

Hi kgruenewaldcharch , welcome to our Forum and thank you for your post.

Right away the reason for why the interiors appear different than before in your scene is due to our improvements made to Global Illumination / indirect lighting, about which you can read a lot more in detail here which I reccomend doing to get a better understanding of it overall: https://blog.enscape3d.com/glo…dvances-rendering-quality

Basically the interiors are actually brighter than before because we, to put it simply, allow for more light bouncing around which in turn can make some areas brighter, or darker depending on the context. Most importantly though, these adjusted results you're seeing should be more faithful to real-life, and in case you wish to darken the interiors again further, you can try to have less light entering those rooms. Additionally you can also try to lower the "Shadows" brightness via our "Image" tab in the Visual Settings, although I'd rather reccomend adjusting the actual geometry if possible, as otherwise the results may not appear as realistic/natural. But, it's also a matter of preference of course.

I still understand that it can be a bit of a surprise returning to previous scenes and seeing differences like that, but updating from one version to the next shouldn't introduce major differences otherwise in the near future, especially now that we've improved how indirect lighting is handled to such an extend.

Regarding the tree in the right image not casting shadows, may I ask is there any reason why you're not simply making use of our tree assets like you've done in the first/left rendering? At the moment it appears you are just using a billboard, so a 2D version of a tree, which should also cast shadows but perhaps you may want to replace it anyway. In case you do wish to keep the 2D tree instead (which I'd say looks arguably less realistic due to the thin white outline of it), could you maybe share that file in an isolated scene for me to check out?

Thank you very much in advance for any further replies.

• Hi Demian, thanks so much for the response. Regarding the updates to GI, that makes sense. I think I'll proceed by updating the settings on our older models to achieve something closer to the old scene exports.

Regarding the cast shadow on the trees, we're using 2D cutout images so that we're able to use them in JPG exports from Sketchup for elevation drawings in early design phases. Unfortunately the white, blocky geometry of the asset component in Sketchup won't work for that. Good advice though, I'll likely replace those components when the Sketchup elevations are no longer needed.

For now, I'd like to keep the 2D cutouts so that I can use them in our elevations. I'm having trouble attaching the model for you to review, is there a trick to uploading the .skp file?

• Official Post

Thanks a lot for your response.

You can simply package one of these files into a .zip and attach it with your next reply. Alternatively, you can also make use of wetransfer.com, whichever you prefer.

• Official Post

@kgruenewaldcharch which Enscape version exactly was the second image rendered with? There was a bug with 2d billboard shadows (with enabled ray-traced shadows) in the initial 3.5 release, but it has already been fixed months ago in the 3.5.3 release. Please make sure you're on the latest version (you can also disable ray traced sun shadows to verify if it's this bug in the rendering settings).

• Thanks a lot for your response.

You can simply package one of these files into a .zip and attach it with your next reply. Alternatively, you can also make use of wetransfer.com, whichever you prefer.

@kgruenewaldcharch which Enscape version exactly was the second image rendered with? There was a bug with 2d billboard shadows (with enabled ray-traced shadows) in the initial 3.5 release, but it has already been fixed months ago in the 3.5.3 release. Please make sure you're on the latest version (you can also disable ray traced sun shadows to verify if it's this bug in the rendering settings).

Hi Clemens, you've solved my issue. I was actually still running 3.5.2. After upgrading to 3.5.5. my issue has been resolved. A good reminder to me to always check for updates when experiencing technical issues...

Thank you both for the help.