Problem with reflections and lights

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • HI,

I have a problem with a scene where there are some mirrors looking at each other.

In the first image you can see how the second bounce of the light does not work and the most portion of mirrors in the mirrors appears white.

In the second image I only changed the opening the cone light of the spotlights at the top to ensure that the light hit a smaller portion of the mirror and the result is different.

It seems that the mirror directly hit by light loses its ability to generate multiple reflections.

I have the latest version of Enscape (3.5.5) and the latest nvidia drivers (546.01). I have a GeForce RTX 3080Ti with ray tracing hardware acceleration enabled.

If I deactivate it (image 3) the reflections work a little better but, obviously, the scene is different.

I'll play around and do some compositing, but it's a little frustrating

• Official Post

Hey happymilk , I wasn't able to reproduce the above issue myself yet. Can you share your mirror material setup? Is it set to 0% roughness and 100% metallic?

• Official Post

Thanks for confirming! I could reproduce the issue now also and will create a bug for it.

Fortunately there's a workaround that should work well enough for 100% mirrors: Please reverse the face orientation, so the backside of it is facing the room and apply the mirror material to that. The backside won't receive the spot light's lighting in the reflection and thus it should render correctly also for multiple bounces.

• Thanks for confirming! I could reproduce the issue now also and will create a bug for it.

Fortunately there's a workaround that should work well enough for 100% mirrors: Please reverse the face orientation, so the backside of it is facing the room and apply the mirror material to that. The backside won't receive the spot light's lighting and thus it should render correctly also for multiple bounces.

WOW,

This works pretty well! Thanks

I didn't know this workaround. It should be inserted in the manual.

By the way. There is still a problem. The vertical band circled in blue is 100% metallic but only the part non directly hit by the cone light (red circle) seem rendered correctly.

Any tricks for that?! :saint:

• Official Post

I fear that might be the same underlying issue, you can try the same trick, unfortunately not having that lit by the spot lights will look off compared to the surrounding geometry. Does it look correct when you reduce the metallic parameter?

• I fear that might be the same underlying issue, you can try the same trick, unfortunately not having that lit by the spot lights will look off compared to the surrounding geometry. Does it look correct when you reduce the metallic parameter?

Well,

this seems to be working again.

this is my scene with your updates. Now the lower band has the same metallic material of the vertical bars. The rendering seems correct even a half band has a reversed face.

In the mirror the vertical bar circled of red has reversed face while the other (blu circled) has "correct" normal direction.

I will do other tries but, it seem working fine.

(only a bit annoying for a "correct face normal man" like me

^^

• Official Post

I will do other tries but, it seem working fine.

(only a bit annoying for a "correct face normal man" like me

Which is generally the completely right approach! I would not encourage to apply this workaround in general. It's something we need to fix on our end, so thanks a lot for reporting this! :thumbup:

• If you fix this problem by tomorrow, ok ^^, otherwise (for this time) I will use this trick.

Seriously... The only problem I see is that if you fix the problem in the future this workaround may no longer work and if I were to change the project I would have to change everything again.