Macbook pro M3 max for sketchup + enscape

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • Hello everyone, I am planning to buy a Macbbok pro M3 Max (16 cpu 40 gpu) and I would like to know if anyone of you has experience using sketchup and enscape on Apple laptops. Do you think it will work smoothly?

thank you!

• It works great. I have been using SketchUp and V-Ray for Mac for quite a few years and started using Enscape about a year ago. We have it running on a few MacBook Pros M1 & M2, and we are happy with the performance. I find it has increased productivity, as it allows us to visualize in real-time, enabling us to make decisions more quickly. Previously, in V-Ray, we would have to render out views. Enscape for Mac is still missing some features, but nothing that can't be worked around."

• I was Working on MacOS Sketchup and Vray since version 1.45….then switched for several years to Windows and Cinema 4D until my latest workstation with RTX 3070 and tested Vray, Vantage, Corona, Octane, Vray, Twinmotion and finally discovered Enscape. Bought first M1 MacBook Air and tested Enscape there. since then came back to MacOS. When was Enscape more stale on MacOS I have bought M1 Studio Max, after few months realised that Studio is overkill for my needs and I need portability, so sold Air and Studio and bought base model MacBook Pro 14 M1 pro maybe year ago. It’s my workhorse till now. I use widows workstation only for videos which is like twice a year. But my needs are not too big, my mostly architect and visuals are so said bonuses for my clients…and the resolution for stills are 4K maximum…but from my point of view and workflow for me it doesn’t matter if I wait for still 20 or 40 seconds…ps my viz skills and results are really basic and not heavy models

• Hello everyone, I am planning to buy a Macbbok pro M3 Max (16 cpu 40 gpu) and I would like to know if anyone of you has experience using sketchup and enscape on Apple laptops. Do you think it will work smoothly?

thank you!

Please let us know how it works the new M3 ray tracing with Enscape I’m really curious…maybe someone from Enscape should give us info if there is some implementation or boost from this new M3 feature

• Official Post

Hello tomankubik

thanks for sharing your experience!

Current Enscape version will profit a little from the overall GPU performance improvement of M3 compared to M2 and M1. However, with hardware raytracing introduced in M3 we will probably be able to also enable advanced global illumination features we have only on Windows now. We did not have hands on M3 yet, but it will follow and of course we will share if it has enough power to drive GI.

• Hello tomankubik

thanks for sharing your experience!

Current Enscape version will profit a little from the overall GPU performance improvement of M3 compared to M2 and M1. However, with hardware raytracing introduced in M3 we will probably be able to also enable advanced global illumination features we have only on Windows now. We did not have hands on M3 yet, but it will follow and of course we will share if it has enough power to drive GI.

Thanks for really quick answer…so it seems that I will wait till implementation of this feature and maybe for M4 lineup…or so

• Hi Blai,

Did you end up buying this laptop, and what is your experience?

I want to buy the Macbook pro M3 max as well, but not sure yet which one I should obtain.

Thanks for your help!

Hello everyone, I am planning to buy a Macbbok pro M3 Max (16 cpu 40 gpu) and I would like to know if anyone of you has experience using sketchup and enscape on Apple laptops. Do you think it will work smoothly?

thank you!

• Hi you all,

In my office , we bought a batch of MacBook M3 max, and have a lots of troubles with sketchup+Enscape. Bug splats, crash with or without enscape,

we contacted Sketchup and they told us that actually , Sketchup is not supporting yet Sonoma. (we need ton downgrade macos or wait the release date of SU 2024)

So my advice is to wait before to buy new M3.

I hope it'll help some of you

• I finally have the macbook pro m3 max and I have been able to test it with autocad, sketchup and enscape. I can say that all these programs work perfectly and at an impressive speed. (and yes with Mac Os Soroma sometimes Sketchup crashes). Now I'm waiting for the Sketchup 2024 updates and for Enscape to take advantage of the M3's Ray Tracing. If anyone wants me to do any tests on other programs or on specific files, just ask.

• On Windows, it is pretty simple to equate specs to performance. Much "squishier" on Mac.

With the unified memory, can the GPU use as much system RAM as is available? (ie, upgrading to a 128GB Mac would (sort of) get you a GPU with over twice the VRAM vs Nvidia's $10k 48GB RTX6000 Ada.)

Do GPU cores relate linearly to performance? (ie, does the 40 core GPU get you over 2x the frame rate vs the 18 core GPU?)